Mens Tennis Forums banner

481 - 500 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Good stuff on that last one. Although it should be mentioned that the return of serve is a weapon for him, when things go well that shot is doing a lot of damage.

And the second serve is not as dull as before, there has been some progress in the last year or so.
You got it right to a T when it comes to the backhand, it's such a sweetly timed shot.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
To be honest I was struggling a bit when talking about his return. I don't want his matches that often. I was pretty complimentary towards it if you look past the first line.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Berdych's mentality is the most improved part of his game. Probably the reason he went from regular top 20 player to regular top 10 :cool:.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Very solid dissections mate. MTF will probably go into meltdown now because something in GM made sense.

Now lets play a word scramble game:

SRTCEAN LABL

First dissect the scramble and then proceed to his game. All the best...

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
a pretty good read !
please dissect Davydenko's game

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Probably going to do Haas next actually :speakles:

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Haas didn't play at all in 2003 :hearts:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
tommyg6's montly scouting report - this month (June) - THE SODERKING

ROBIN SODERLING

Game Profile
Forehand- Robin's forehand is perhaps his biggest weapon. His forehand alone has given him some really big wins and including his historic upset win over Rafa at Roland Garros 2009. The power and aggression coming off his forehand is quite a treat to watch. I would say his forehand is top 5 material. His forehand is very powerful and flat. Robin hits the majority of shots flat and aggresively. He also tends to go for winners seemingly at every shot. He is very aggresive with his forehand. FOREHAND = Top 5 Material

Backhand- Robin's backhand is serviceable but nothing to write about. Like his forehand, Robin tends to hit his backhand through instead of slicing. Aggression is the name of Robin's game. The only things you're gonna see Robin do with his backhand is hit out through. BACKHAND = Top 50 material

Serve- I would say Robin's serve used to be one of his strengths but I think it has regressed a bit. I find that his ball toss is erratic and inefficient. That said, the power off his serves is decent. SERVE = Top 50 material

Return of Serve- Robin's ROS is nothing special. I would go far as to say his ROS game is probably top 40 level. He tends to return aggresively instead of putting it back into play which can be a weakness. ROS = Top 100 material

Volleys- Volleys are probably the weakest aspect of Robin's game. I rarely see him go to the net in many of his matches and it doesn't seem like he's comfortable playing there as well. The way how Robin holds his racquet with his large reach has been acclimatized with him that short reach shots like volleys seem kinda unnatural to him it seems. Volleys = Top 100 material

Defense- Robin's defense is his offense. Whenever Robin is put into defensive situations, its usually because his usually awe inspiring offense is not clicking and if that's the case, he's probably going to lose the match. Like his match against Roger Federer at Masters Cup 2010. That said, Robin doesn't possess great defensive abilities and his movement is not that great. DEFENSE = Top 100 material

Movement- Another aspect of Robin which is not so great. He's definately not on a Ferrer/Monfils level of speed & movement. Like many ballbashers of Robin's ilk, movement is one of his weaker part of his game. His movement is top 100 material at best. MOVEMENT = Top 100 Material

Mental- To me, I consider Robin's mental game above average at best. When he's on, he plays with so much fearlessness and confidence, it's a treat to watch. I really enjoy watching Robin's aggresive style of play. For example, just look up any of his matches on youtube especially his match against Rafa - French Open 2009 and Michael Llodra - Shanghai. In those matches, Robin epitomized aggresive ballbashing tennis to the max. So fun to watch.

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Well! Rafa needs further dissection since he doesn't play the same as he played in 2006 or 2008.
I actually haven't done Nadal myself yet. Expect it some time this year.

tommyg6's montly scouting report - this month (June) - THE SODERKING

ROBIN SODERLING

Game Profile
Forehand- Robin's forehand is perhaps his biggest weapon. His forehand alone has given him some really big wins and including his historic upset win over Rafa at Roland Garros 2009. The power and aggression coming off his forehand is quite a treat to watch. I would say his forehand is top 5 material. His forehand is very powerful and flat. Robin hits the majority of shots flat and aggresively. He also tends to go for winners seemingly at every shot. He is very aggresive with his forehand. FOREHAND = Top 5 Material

Backhand- Robin's backhand is serviceable but nothing to write about. Like his forehand, Robin tends to hit his backhand through instead of slicing. Aggression is the name of Robin's game. The only things you're gonna see Robin do with his backhand is hit out through. BACKHAND = Top 50 material

Serve- I would say Robin's serve used to be one of his strengths but I think it has regressed a bit. I find that his ball toss is erratic and inefficient. That said, the power off his serves is decent. SERVE = Top 50 material

Return of Serve- Robin's ROS is nothing special. I would go far as to say his ROS game is probably top 40 level. He tends to return aggresively instead of putting it back into play which can be a weakness. ROS = Top 100 material

Volleys- Volleys are probably the weakest aspect of Robin's game. I rarely see him go to the net in many of his matches and it doesn't seem like he's comfortable playing there as well. The way how Robin holds his racquet with his large reach has been acclimatized with him that short reach shots like volleys seem kinda unnatural to him it seems. Volleys = Top 100 material

Defense- Robin's defense is his offense. Whenever Robin is put into defensive situations, its usually because his usually awe inspiring offense is not clicking and if that's the case, he's probably going to lose the match. Like his match against Roger Federer at Masters Cup 2010. That said, Robin doesn't possess great defensive abilities and his movement is not that great. DEFENSE = Top 100 material

Movement- Another aspect of Robin which is not so great. He's definately not on a Ferrer/Monfils level of speed & movement. Like many ballbashers of Robin's ilk, movement is one of his weaker part of his game. His movement is top 100 material at best. MOVEMENT = Top 100 Material

Mental- To me, I consider Robin's mental game above average at best. When he's on, he plays with so much fearlessness and confidence, it's a treat to watch. I really enjoy watching Robin's aggresive style of play. For example, just look up any of his matches on youtube especially his match against Rafa - French Open 2009 and Michael Llodra - Shanghai. In those matches, Robin epitomized aggresive ballbashing tennis to the max. So fun to watch.
Solid contribution. Don't think the Top XXX bit at the end is necessary though.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Re: Player's games dissected - Federer , Murray, Gasquet , Djokovic

Tomas Berdych

Forehand: Like so many players on tour Berdych's forehand is devastating when on and a liability when things go wrong. A relatively cross court centric stroke which when combined with the wristy technique makes it's effectiveness limited in certain situations. The backswing is always nice and early but in most cases it's telegraphing his intention to go cross court. The upside includes it's effortless power, especially when given some height to work with. Berdych's forehand down the line off a shoulder high ball is perhaps the cleanest shot that exists in men's tennis. His height and flat trajectory on the stroke gives him issues on low balls which will likely never be overcome. His lack of spin limits the amount of power he can get on the forehand before it sails over the baseline.

Backhand: This is without doubt the most aesthetically pleasing and pure double hander on the circuit. The stroke production is flawless and one of the few double handers I would class as a truly beautiful shot. The backhand is not that dissimilar to the forehand but it improves on it in every facet, particularly when it comes to reliability/consistency. It's hard to come up with any real weaknesses for this stroke although his height means really low balls still cause issues. The power flows effortlessly - rarely does Berydych ever look like he is trying to hit the ball hard but before you know it it's past his opponent. Due to the compact back swing it's very much suited to faster surfaces. Easily one of the top offensive backhands in the game with the ability to change the flight of the ball effortlessly. Defensively speaking it's adequate without being spectacular which is typical for a guy of his size. Unlike Djokovic he doesn't have the same level of balance/reach on the backhand which means he has to use the slice more often.

Volleys: Technically proficient is what I would label his volleys. Workman like but lacking the flare of a natural. Good enough to put away volleys above net height but not enough feel to do anything spectacular on low balls. His punch volley is relatively sound which puts him a level above players who seem hit droppers like they are going out of fashion. His volleys have the propensity to falter in tight situations which has more to do with his psyche than any technical shortcomings.

Return of Serve: Better than average in this regard. Usually stands up on the baseline and tries to use his wingspan to cut off the angles. Overall a pretty offensive returner who is rarely in the mood to just "get it back". The naturally compact swing in his groundstrokes hold him in good stead against big first serves. Due to his height kick serves are virtually useless against Berydch as they go straight into his hitting zone.

Serve: Underwhelming but not as bad as Del Potro's. Given his size you could be forgiven for expecting more. The first serve is excellent sure - but it could be better. The action is simple so not much can really go wrong. He lacks the knee band which would allow him to explode into the shot and perhaps give him the extra pop he lacks for his height. The second delivery is serviceable but lacks the spin that provides the margin required for a truly safe shot. Does Berdych even have a kick serve? If he does it's not obvious to my eyes.

Defense: When you have as much power as Berdych you most likely aren't going to be that concerned with the defensive aspects of your game. Realistically speaking his game is so big that defense barely even comes into play unless he play against a top players. While quite nimble for his size, he isn't as fleet footed as say, Marin Cilic. When you watch this guy play, it's clear he adopts the philosophy of offense being the best defense. You'll rarely see him willing to grind out a point if he is on the backfoot for more than a few shots. He'll most likely go for broke from an unlikely position (and make it quite often on a good day).

Mental: People are quick to say Berdych is poor in this regard simply because of his talent to slams ratio. Not the case in my opinion. His propensity to "choke" is not any worse than the norm for your average pro tennis player. He has beaten all the top contenders in big events so it's clear the guy has what it takes and believes in himself. Virtually every player has blown matches from winning positions and Berdych is no different. Considering his style of play and the matches he has already won you could safely say that his mental strength is good enough that it won't be seen as a huge detriment to his game.
Good breakdown of Berdych's game. The standout aspect is how effortlessly he generates power and how cleanly he hits the ball. Hits the ball harder than Del Potro, seemingly with a fraction of the effort.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Might want to update Murray and Djokovic. Think those were done a while ago, as far as I remember.
He promised he would update them right away... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Fair enough. I will update him in every category besides mental. That section still makes complete sense :hearts:
OK, I'll give you some credit about that Nole article. I always laugh so hard when I read the mental part (drama queen etc). but you should update that too, Nole has changed a lot for better. and don't be so lazy, write some more. Steb too ... although, not sure what is happening with him ... haven't seen him here for a long time (maybe it's just me).

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #500

Might want to update Murray and Djokovic. Think those were done a while ago, as far as I remember.
Most of them are pretty old.

He promised he would update them right away... :rolleyes:
I'm going to need proof of this Nina.

solid addition
When are you going to do some mate?

OK, I'll give you some credit about that Nole article. I always laugh so hard when I read the mental part (drama queen etc). but you should update that too, Nole has changed a lot for better. and don't be so lazy, write some more. Steb too ... although, not sure what is happening with him ... haven't seen him here for a long time (maybe it's just me).
You know that procrastination is my favourite past time.

481 - 500 of 521 Posts