Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The players with not much noise being generated, not much attention so far...

Both Raonic and Zverev have not lost sets this open, so far... And they both seem in reasonably good touch. Though I'd call neither of them a mental heavyweight, I can see them causing damage in a match. They're relatively fresh and in good form.

Raonic of course has to contend with Novak, and while he might trouble him a bit, it'll take him playing out of his skin to win. It's unlikely he can do that, but should be fun to watch.

Zverev-Rublev should be a more fun match. If Zverev keeps his head, he could win.

Stan has had a tougher trip so far, and he's past his prime. But it'll be interesting to see if he's still capable of random redlining. When that happens, nobody's safe. He's usually fit enough that the sets he's played don't hold him back too much. Medvedev, depends on his fitness and mental state during the game. So Stan could potentially pull off an upset.

What are your predictions for these three?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Zverev is an interesting case. Maybe not being the number one youngster anymore has done him good. Feeling the pressure of an expected breakthrough in slams might have been tough to deal with. Now when Tsitsipas is a younger player ranked above him, people don't think of him as the hope of a new generation. Ideally, he can go out on the court feeling much more relaxed. If he continues to put lots of first serves in play, still serving hard, it takes pressure away from his second serve, and maybe the double faults won't be an issue anymore. I like Zverev's chances against Rublev, and he has a decent shot at Medvedev too.

As for Raonic, well it is nice to see him back at a good level, but it won't be enough against Nole.

What about Stan? Well, he can be relaxed against Medvedev, because nobody expects him to win. I wouldn't be totally surprised if he makes an upset in the next round.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Raonic has been by far the most impressive of the three.. I guess the reason why he's not really considered a factor is because he's playing Djokovic next and it's difficult to see him get through that.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stan the man won his match, and unveiled some vintage tennis doing so. Should be fun to see the others :)

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Zverev and Stan did absolutely nothing by the time this thread was made. But I agree that Stan's chances vs. Med were underrated.

Raonic OTOH is playing really well the whole tournament and is not flying under the radar (many have mentioned it) but no one expects him to beat Djokovic tomorrow, and rightfully so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts