Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurricane Irene ruffles top players' feathers before US Open

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/27/hurricane-irene-us-open-tennis?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487, British Guardian
• Roger Federer says 'scary', Andy Murray takes no chances
• Maria Sharapova warns of overreaction before Monday start

Maria Sharapova said about the approach of Hurricane Irene: 'I just hope that our hotel is nice and tough and sturdy.

Andy Murray was "excited" but concerned. Roger Federer thought it was "scary". The Russian-born Maria Sharapova said she was "a Florida girl, so I'm used to this stuff" and reckoned everyone was "overreacting".

When Hurricane Irene blows herself out, the people of New York, the world's best players, staff at Flushing Meadows and journalists covering what is a surreal US Open even before a ball is hit, will have cause to remember more than mere tennis.

Murray, who was shaken up in the earthquake earlier in the week, pointed out "the weather has not been great". And he is taking no chances. Not only has he arranged indoor practice near his hotel on Sunday, but he's also been shopping. "We had to go and get stuff from the supermarket for the room in case – well, loads of places are gonna be closed. There's a two-and-a-half-hour queue at the supermarket."

"I think everyone's a bit overreacting about everything," Sharapova said, "but of course you have to take precautions. But where are we gonna go? All hundreds of us? I just hope that our hotel is nice and tough and sturdy. That's all we can do, right?"

Mardy Fish, who grew up near storm-lashed Vero Beach in Florida, was as sanguine as Sharapova, and observed: "I couldn't get my Starbucks this morning, which was annoying."

As New York closed down, players used to limo lifestyles had to get used to a little hardship, not to mention disruption to their preparations for the tournament.

"At my age," said the 30-year-old former champion Federer, "you know what it takes to get ready, and you don't panic. I won't be playing tomorrow. It's not an issue. But sure it's somewhat scary, because we don't know how hard it's going to hit us. I've got family. We're in New York City, it's not just a regular city. It's quite something with all the buildings."

Murray expressed concern about being on the 40th floor of the uptown Parc Meridien and wondered if they would be asked to evacuate. They weren't.

For Rafael Nadal, bemusement set in. "I don't know what's going on, I think. Nobody knows exactly what's going on, no? Just stay in the hotel. Maybe watch some films. I never had an experience with a hurricane."

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
LOL, Nadal. Spain hasn't got any natural disasters, so it's understandable that he is unaware of what's going on. :lol:

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
Mardy and Maria are cool.

Rafa :lol:

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

Mardy Fish, who grew up near storm-lashed Vero Beach in Florida, was as sanguine as Sharapova, and observed: "I couldn't get my Starbucks this morning, which was annoying."

First world problems

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
Granollers says "en el hotel esperando al huracan.." Google thinks it mean "In the hotel waiting for hurricane."

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Nadal will probably go out for a walk in the middle of the hurricane, thinking it'll be the same as that nice sea breeze in Mallorca

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
LOL Nadal...if a hurricane is going to devastate your city...just stay in the room and watch a movie ffs
Maybe "2012" :shrug:

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
ivo karlovic:

"Gym at #usopen looks like refuge camp. I had to step over 4 Argentines, 3 Franchies and couple of unidentified players to get to dumbbells"

:lol:

P.S. Hope Ivo didn't step on Rochus.:tape:

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I was hoping Mardy was just being tongue in cheek there with that line, poking fun at nyc. But if he was being serious, that's embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
ivo karlovic:

"Gym at #usopen looks like refuge camp. I had to step over 4 Argentines, 3 Franchies and couple of unidentified players to get to dumbbells"
Ivo:facepalm: :help: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am used to hurricanes too so I really don't understand what the fuss is either :shrug: having said that I remember hurricane Gilbert in 88 while I worked overseas :scared: :scared: :scared:

·
MONSOON season.
82,273 Posts
Obviously Fish wasn't serious. Duh.

Sharapova is such a twat.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Nadal will probably go out for a walk in the middle of the hurricane, thinking it'll be the same as that nice sea breeze in Mallorca
:haha:

ivo karlovic:

Ivo :worship:

P.S. Hope Ivo didn't step on Rochus.:tape:
:sad::scared:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts