Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which players have the ability to beat Djokovic in a slam final.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic is easily the best ATP player at the moment. He's bound to win more slams and reach many more finals. However, so long as he's at the top, I think it at least cracks open the door for other players to win their maiden slam.

We've seen Federer, Nadal, Murray and Wawrinka beat him in slam finals, who else has the game?

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Djokovic himself. :sobbing:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Del Potro, if he ever recovers and returns at 100%.

Nishikori - did it in a SF, could do it in a final.

Tsonga - if at 100% and tapping into Peak Tsonga, sure he could do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't include Del Potro sine he's been out with injury. Same thing with Soderling. But if either of them managed to come back,close to full strength(seems unlikely), I think they could win.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Out of that list only Nishikori.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Where's all of the above option.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Michael Russel

You may think I'm joking but Russel had match point against Guga. He'd destroy Chokovic in a slam final

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Isner always has a decent shot against Novak

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Typical kneejerk reaction from Mtf. Considering Novak had never lost a slam final to anyone outside the big 4.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Typical kneejerk reaction from Mtf. Considering Novak had never lost a slam final to anyone outside the big 4.
Well, most people are only voting for Nishikori and Tsonga. It's not like people are saying Facundo Bagnis.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
lol^. "he had never lost a slam final to anyone outside the big 4" is the same as saying he beat Tsonga once in a final!

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Isner always has a decent shot against Novak
Not from this year on: they are at 2-0 for Novak
Otherwise Isner will never reach a slam final.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
:lol: @users voting for Cilic (mental block against Novak) and Tsonga (past prime, matchup disadvantage).
You guys are too good. Rather too clueless :haha:

·
6,603 Posts
Cilic if he is goating with his serve, Nishikori as well if he was super aggressive.
But most are bad match-ups against Novak, or simply inferior to challenge him.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Everyone in the poll except Ferrer and Goffin has a theoretical chance, though it'd require them playing their very best.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Everyone in the poll except Ferrer and Goffin has a theoretical chance, though it'd require them playing their very best.
The real question is who is able to redline as Wawrinka did on Sunday... only Nishikori would be.
So it is a very-very theoretical chance, wouldn't last for 3 won sets though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see how this is that bad.

Nishikori and Tsonga are the only ones that MTF seems to be giving a chance. And Tsongas under 50% atm.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I don't see how this is that bad.

Nishikori and Tsonga are the only ones that MTF seems to be giving a chance. And Tsongas under 50% atm.
I think people are forgetting Toronto last year. Tsonga beat Djokovic, Murray, Dimitov, Federer in four consecutive rounds. Only dropped one set (a close 6-4 to Murray). Straight-setted Djokovic 6-2 6-2.

Obviously if you match up Tsonga & Djokovic 20 times, Djokovic wins the lion's share of those encounters. But on his day? Playing at 100%? Tsonga totally has the capability to take Djokovic out. He's even done it at a Grand Slam before.

Reactions: Federer-Fan

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
In theory any player can beat any player in any given match. The only question is how strong are the odds? What is the probability? Of the players listed I think Nishikori would have the best chances, and maybe Cilic if he brought his USO 2014 level. For everyone else the chances are not very high.

Edit - Maybe Berdych as well, now that I think about it. But he would have to play at his absolute best and not choke.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts