Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting aside that we all don't like the same players, I just have to wonder if it turns you off that players have to act polite and not be angry with the crowd when they jeer or disrupt their service motion. They don't have to be angry when the crowd constantly supports the other guy or they shouldn't attack someone who makes crazy comments about their game in the media.

For instance, Roger was extremely polite when told about Wilander and the whole "Roger's ball shrinking" against Nadal. He barely reacted to it. Nole was clearly mad at the crowd at FO 2014 on the last double fault, and he even alluded to it during the press conference, but never really said what he really wanted to say. Rafa always says the other guy is the favorite, including Roger at French Open years ago, and we all know he does not believe it.

It seems the only person who says what he believes is Gulbis (and used to be Roddick. Even Soderling changed his way after he started winning more. Does this turn you off?

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I've always felt one of the things undermining modern tennis is the lack of hostility between players. It's hard to take these hyped up spartan warrior finals seriously when they're all licking each other in press conferences.

btw did Djokovic give a sarcastic thumbs up to the crowd at the end? Wish he'd do that more.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always felt one of the things undermining modern tennis is the lack of hostility between players. It's hard to take these hyped up spartan warrior finals seriously when they're all licking each other in press conferences.

btw did Djokovic give a thumbs up to the crowd at the end? Wish he'd do that more.
I would tear into the crowd if they were against me all match. It would make tennis more fun if we have more "heels" like prowrestling. I am not saying he should go on a crazy rant or anything but if they are not pulling for you, you might get energized with them pulling against you. As long as they care about your match, why does it matter anyway.

I just feel most of these young kids are taught to put no foot wrong or say anything controversial by the ATP and their PR agents. It's tough. They sound like robots. Most of them anywa

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it. It's professional sports; they should act professionally.
So other sports are not professional? But they all have "heels."

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes it does,especially since the fakeness is so transparent. Djokovic and Nadal are especially pathetic. At least Federer`s overwhelming arrogance comes through once and awhile. A side effect of all this is that a total moron like Gulbis is lauded by a few because he is one of a handful who breaks the mold.

·
Registered
12,577 Posts

btw did Djokovic give a sarcastic thumbs up to the crowd at the end? Wish he'd do that more.
yes, and I thought it was great

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't think it was sarcastic... Not sure. But not that the French crowd was anti Djokovic during the match?
They were kinda neutral I thought... Cheering for the nice points and wanting Djokovic to hold for a 5th set I think.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts
I don't think it was sarcastic... Not sure. But not that the French crowd was anti Djokovic during the match?
They were kinda neutral I thought... Cheering for the nice points and wanting Djokovic to hold for a 5th set I think.
It seemed to me like there were more Djokovic fans if anything but there were some very disruptive Nadal fans there that yelled out when he tossed serves on big points.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, and I thought it was great
I would go a step further and make the crowd feel bad without attacking them directly... like saying "even though most of you didn't want me to win today, I gave my heart and soul. Thanks for your support." You don't have to attack the crowd like he did at the US Open to make them feel bad. haha. But these players all have sponsors and things like that. They are afraid to do anything ... put a food wrong. Nole alluded to the fact that the crowed affected him negatively in his post-match interview.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes there's really no reason to listen to interviews anymore. It will always be a combination of "It was a tough match (even if said player won 6-1 6-2 in under an hour)...he played great (even though said tennis player won only 5-7 games max and hit 30+ errors)....my next match will be tough (even though said tennis player has 16-2 record and has won 14 straight)...I have a lot of respect for my opponent (even though prior comments and body language say otherwise)"

·
23,063 Posts
Yes there's really no reason to listen to interviews anymore. It will always be a combination of "It was a tough match (even if said player won 6-1 6-2 in under an hour)...he played great (even though said tennis player won only 5-7 games max and hit 30+ errors)....my next match will be tough (even though said tennis player has 16-2 record and has won 14 straight)...I have a lot of respect for my opponent (even though prior comments and body language say otherwise)"
I have to agree about this part especially among the top players -- I mean, in one of the most dominant era of tennis among the top such comments are really kind of off putting. I was quite eh about it when Nadal tells about it last year when he was utterly dominant for the most part. This year seems not so as he has been really vulnerable. I mean I would like comments like "I think if I just go with the gameplan with my team I think I could win this", no comments that always paints your opponent like a Big Four member or something. :lol:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It depends if it's my fave or not. Like everyone else on here.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
It depends. Tactfulness and civility should be encouraged, so I don't agree that players should be completely honest about their feelings. On the other hand, certainly interviews can be too bland, so I would welcome a greater willingness to discuss controversial issues, as long as this doesn't involve personal acrimony between players.

In the end, it is just a sport, so players should mostly just concentrate on their game.

·
Registered
413 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc-I

Fry and Laurie made fun of it a long time ago. Some things, like the standardized answers of sportsmen, don't change.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Yes definitely. There should be WWE style heels and faces.

Or even like in football where animosity is rife between players and managers or like boxing. Tennis is too bland and that further just.plays into the boring typical middle class sports image it has.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts