Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I posted a PLAYER OF THE DECADE table covering results from January 2010 to December 2019.

I was following the tradition of counting decades (and even millenia :D ) starting from 0.

Some people pointed out that the decade started in 2011, so I promised to do another table at the end of this year, covering from January 2011 to December 2020.

Here is the table. Novak's domination, not surprisingly, is even more devastating than in the previous table).

Points to notice, on top of the obvious ones, are the H2H among the three and the fact that Novak had a much harder path. He beat more top-5 players in the last decade than Roger and Rafa together.

Banned
I鈥檓 a big fan of rogie, but it鈥檚 impossible to say that he is the GOAT/BOAT when he has mostly played third fiddle to his two biggest rivals for a decade now. I don鈥檛 mind though - there鈥檚 no shame in being a fan of the third greatest player in the history of the sport (I鈥檓 not sure why that is such a controversial opinion to many on here)

Registered
Got to be Murray for me. 3 slams, world no.1 and, most importantly 2x Olympic gold medals in singles. Undefeated at the most iconic sporting event during the whole decade.

NOBODY else can match that. NOBODY.

Registered
Technically, a decade always starts on Jan 1, xx01 or xx11 or xx21 as a century always starts on Jan 1, 1901 or 2001 or 2101 and so on.

Some people pointed out that the decade started in 2011, so I promised to do another table at the end of this year, covering from January 2011 to December 2020.

Here is the table. Novak's domination, not surprisingly, is even more devastating than in the previous table).
Very easy to see why. In 2010, Nadal had 3 slams and a couple of other accolades which he could not repeat in 2011 because of Novak's winning so much against him or only partly in 2012 (mainly winning a few clay Masters again).

Reactions: ivanban and Yolita

Last year I posted a PLAYER OF THE DECADE table covering results from January 2010 to December 2019.

I was following the tradition of counting decades (and even millenia :D ) starting from 0.

Points to notice, on top of the obvious ones, are the H2H among the three and the fact that Novak had a much harder path. He beat more top-5 players in the last decade than Roger and Rafa together. View attachment 359065
Please show Murrays too. Out of respect for the respect i always have for you. I suspect he will not be 4th on list.

Reactions: Yolita

Banned
Technically, a decade always starts on Jan 1, xx01 or xx11 or xx21 as a century always starts on Jan 1, 1901 or 2001 or 2101 and so on.

Very easy to see why. In 2010, Nadal had 3 slams and a couple of other accolades which he could not repeat in 2011 because of Novak's winning so much against him or only partly in 2012 (mainly winning a few clay Masters again).
this is a stupid take. Are you going to look at me with a straight face and tell me that the year 2000 was part of the 1900s?

Reactions: El_Toro

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Got to be Murray for me. 3 slams, world no.1 and, most importantly 2x Olympic gold medals in singles. Undefeated at the most iconic sporting event during the whole decade.

I am going to do a table including Murray, too. I believe this last decade, Roger was closer to Murray than to Rafa and Novak. Murray was YE#1, won the ATP Finals during the decade, which Roger didn't. Spent more weeks as #1 than Roger, too.
I do not include Olympic gold medals among the big titles because there are different entry rules. Players from strong countries, like Spain, do not get to take part, whilst players from weak countries will get a cahnce to represent their country. In that sense you do not get all the top players there, as you get at slams and masters.
Having said that, I know Djokovic would trade a slam for Olympic gold any day of the week. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Please show Murrays too. Out of respect for the respect i always have for you. I suspect he will not be 4th on list.
Yes, I will do another table, adding Murray. In many aspects, he did better than Roger this decade.

Yes, I will do another table, adding Murray. In many aspects, he did better than Roger this decade.
Gracias amigo

Registered
00s - Federer era
10s - Djokovic era

Banned
That's embarrassing. He blew some matches from 40-15 or similar scenarios, but no excuse.
Anyway, I think Djokovic being the player of the decade is agreed by all humans.
At the end of the day, an L is an L, even if he could have won some of those matches if he had a pair of grapefruits between his legs like Rafa and Nole, rather than a pair of grapes

Reactions: enlightenedth

Registered

Calling Sir Andy player of the decade is an insult for him. He's the GOAT of the whole universe.

Banned

Points to notice, on top of the obvious ones, are the H2H among the three and the fact that Novak had a much harder path. He beat more top-5 players in the last decade than Roger and Rafa together. View attachment 359065
Are you campaigning for ACC?

No need, you're obliterating the field together with the Fakertrolls gang 馃ぃ

Yes, Nadal doesn't have an era, hence he can't enter GOAT debate. 0 ATP Finals as well. More than 50% of his slams on clay as well.
But 2nd in both. Never third. Nice stat to have

1 - 20 of 62 Posts