Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot see a world in which Borna Coric and Nick Kyrgios being dressed IDENTICALLY is good for the sport. They aren't the same person, they don't have the same fans, they're not on the same team. People who are fans of one are fairly unlikely to be fans of the other.

So why does Nike dress them alike?

Remember when Agassi wore jean shorts and neon pink? Federer wore a gold blazer? Nadal refused to wear sleeves? Those aren't just fashion choices, they're player branding.

Tennis needs memorable individuals who stand out. The sport suffers from visual monotony when 1) players look alike and 2) large personalities look different every three months on schedule without anything any continuity of brand.

Agree or disagree? Thoughts? Solutions?

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
That one Nike outfit (that you are referring to in the thread starter post) that both men and women wear I'm sick of myself. I would like a nice fire pit burning of all those outfits :fiery:

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
well let's start by getting rid of that nauseating word "branding." You "brand" cattle. yeah yeah yeah I know it's the advertising that's been shoved down everyone's almost willing throats, "grow your brand" that kind of hopeful shit that you too can make a million growing your "brand." It's OK to call Nike a brand though. Brand is a noun.

And I think you would have to know more about how players choose what they want to wear from any given clothing line (or "brand") to figure out why so many of them are wearing the same "kit" (this word is OK) while some of them seem wear things no-one else is allowed to wear, i.e. I never see anyone else wearing Fed's kit; Rafa's kit; Djok's kit. Interesting eh?

And OP's idea that they should be outfitted according to character is just ..... hhahahahahahaha! (me laughing)
True Agassi had his mullet and acid wash shorts, but he was a top player with his own look, like Fed, Rafa Djok--I'm guessing only the top players can get exclusive rights to certain tops and shorts and so have a unique look.

But yes, I don't like that so many are wearing the same thing. Nike is the worst for this. Half the men are wearing the same Nike kit right now; just like a year or so ago they were all wearing that hideous pink diagonal split. That was the worst.

AZ and Kerber both wear great kits from Adidas. Adidias has Nike beat except when it comes to Nadal. Djok is sporting very nice Lacoste kits, and Fed is making Uniqlo look slightly better than the dollarama brand it is.

Stan holds the fort with Yonex embarrassments.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I cannot see a world in which Borna Coric and Nick Kyrgios being dressed IDENTICALLY is good for the sport. They aren't the same person, they don't have the same fans, they're not on the same team. People who are fans of one are fairly unlikely to be fans of the other.

So why does Nike dress them alike?

Remember when Agassi wore jean shorts and neon pink? Federer wore a gold blazer? Nadal refused to wear sleeves? Those aren't just fashion choices, they're player branding.

Tennis needs memorable individuals who stand out. The sport suffers from visual monotony when 1) players look alike and 2) large personalities look different every three months on schedule without anything any continuity of brand.

Agree or disagree? Thoughts? Solutions?
Dress Nick in a black spandex bodysuit with little horns on his head like the devil wears.

Goffin could wear a little boy's sailor suit, like Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Fed looked properly dressed in his gold highlighted cardigans, a la Great Gatsby.

Just some preliminary thoughts ...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The big American company has ruined the style of the sport for many years and they seem determined to keep making tennis uglier.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
And I think you would have to know more about how players choose what they want to wear from any given clothing line (or "brand") to figure out why so many of them are wearing the same "kit" (this word is OK) while some of them seem wear things no-one else is allowed to wear, i.e. I never see anyone else wearing Fed's kit; Rafa's kit; Djok's kit. Interesting eh?
The top stars get their individual outfits, the minions get a standard outfit. They can't choose or can only choose from maybe two standard clothing lines.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And OP's idea that they should be outfitted according to character is just ..... hhahahahahahaha! (me laughing)
True Agassi had his mullet and acid wash shorts, but he was a top player with his own look, like Fed, Rafa Djok--I'm guessing only the top players can get exclusive rights to certain tops and shorts and so have a unique look.
But why? Why not let Zverev and Tsitsipas and the younger players start to "develop a personal brand"? Why do we have to see them wear the same generic t-shirt and shorts that everyone else with their sponsorship is wearing? Why not let Kyrgios dress like a basketball player at least a little bit? He could totally rock long baggy shorts and a tank top. Honestly, it would be good for tennis. Casual fans could start to differentiate between anyone not named "Federer" or "Nadal" and kids could pick favorites based off the outfits (yes, 6 year olds do this. And it's good for tennis).

Tennis does not exist solely to make Nike and Adidas money. That is such backwards thinking.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
But why? Why not let Zverev and Tsitsipas and the younger players start to "develop a personal brand"? Why do we have to see them wear the same generic t-shirt and shorts that everyone else with their sponsorship is wearing? Why not let Kyrgios dress like a basketball player at least a little bit? He could totally rock long baggy shorts and a tank top. Honestly, it would be good for tennis. Casual fans could start to differentiate between anyone not named "Federer" or "Nadal" and kids could pick favorites based off the outfits (yes, 6 year olds do this. And it's good for tennis).

Tennis does not exist solely to make Nike and Adidas money. That is such backwards thinking.
Zverev actually gets his own outfit. Sometimes it's just nuances but he's always the only one to wear it. And the answer to your question is... money. Nike and Adidas don't sell many clothes by sponsoring tennis players. It's pretty much an irrevelant line of business for them.

In the case of adidas they make most of their money from football. I assume that's also Nike's biggest source of income, probably you can add US sports to it (only speaking of sports attire, not street clothes like sneakers). Designing individual outfits for all their players would be too expensive and they obviously don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

YOu misunderstand me.

I hate the corporate "branding" of individual players to make nike and adidas money too. But this is how most top 50 tennis players make most of their money. An unfortunate reality.
I especially hate the word "branding" as corporate/advertising double-speak lingo.
I also think it's a drag so many of them dressed the same.
This is actually a failure of "corporate branding" and I was wondering why that occurs.

It also makes it harder to follow a point, when they are dressed the same, and you have to look more carefully to see who is currently hitting the ball.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
The top stars get their individual outfits, the minions get a standard outfit. They can't choose or can only choose from maybe two standard clothing lines.
Yes, that's I assumed. And so kind of dreary that so many of them are wearing the same thing.
Surely Nike has more than 3 tennis shirts to choose from?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, that's I assumed. And so kind of dreary that so many of them are wearing the same thing.
Surely Nike has more than 3 tennis shirts to choose from?
I came here to say the same the Walle did. I don't have any inside information, but it is VERY clear to me that Nike allows its bigger players the chance to have their own unique clothes, while everyone else has to wear the same thing.

It's been this way for 2-3 years at least, but at least before, that ONE OUTFIT FOR THE REST OF THE PLAYERS changed every month or two. I guess someone's asleep at the wheel at Nike though, or (more likely) they give even less of a shit about tennis than they did before, because it has been this design all season.

Occasionally, you'll see Adidas, Fila, etc guys wear the same thing, but I would bet folding money that every other company save Nike gives their rank-and-file players at least a couple choices.

Nike ruins everything. They've ruined college football (trust me on this, non-Yanks) and now they are ruining tennis. You can't boycott every bad company out there and function in this society, but I think it's healthy to boycott a couple. I have refused to buy Nike products for over 20 years, and that's never going to change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Zverev actually gets his own outfit. Sometimes it's just nuances but he's always the only one to wear it.
This is part of my problem. Even the big names like Federer (when he was with Nike) only get maybe a different color stripe than the regular players. Rafa still had to wear that hideous pink, but just not with the diagonal block.

If they just gave the players access to Nike.com and said "everything on there is free, wear what you want, and we'll pay you", that would be a 1000% improvement. And then yeah, let a couple of the big stars get custom designers. But just letting players pick their own outfits from a range of options would help. And yeah, it would be pretty awesome if a lot of them skipped the "tennis" section and picked clothes out of the shop windows that were intended for other sports. Example, Kyrgios and basketball.

The only ones who seem cool anymore are Fognini with his skull logo and Donald Young with his pot logo. And even then, it's just the logo, the clothes themselves are super generic.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is part of my problem. Even the big names like Federer (when he was with Nike) only get maybe a different color stripe than the regular players. Rafa still had to wear that hideous pink, but just not with the diagonal block.

If they just gave the players access to Nike.com and said "everything on there is free, wear what you want, and we'll pay you", that would be a 1000% improvement. And then yeah, let a couple of the big stars get custom designers. But just letting players pick their own outfits from a range of options would help. And yeah, it would be pretty awesome if a lot of them skipped the "tennis" section and picked clothes out of the shop windows that were intended for other sports. Example, Kyrgios and basketball.

The only ones who seem cool anymore are Fognini with his skull logo and Donald Young with his pot logo. And even then, it's just the logo, the clothes themselves are super generic.
And then, things have gotten a little less cool as Donald Young is no long with the "pot logo" company. That would be Boast, if anyone wants some pot leaf gear (of course they say that's not what it is) of their own.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And then, things have gotten a little less cool as Donald Young is no long with the "pot logo" company. That would be Boast, if anyone wants some pot leaf gear (of course they say that's not what it is) of their own.
Dang. That was the best thing about Donald Young.

But case in point: memorable clothes make a forgettable player less forgettable

If tennis really wants to market it's up and coming players as stars, they need to do something about this horrendous Nike homogenizing. Nike might be single handedly killing the #NextGen campaign (in terms of gaining new viewers to the sport).

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I like Fognini being the only (?) one wearing EA7. Also like Hydrogen. This brand should be only worn by guys with a certain look and or game, like Basilashvili, Fognini, Bolelli etc. Berdych is a hilariously bad choice in my honest opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts