Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
first of all grand slam is'nt even ATP second why would it not if it was third who's doing that? and 4 why do you care so much.

·
Your visions will happen
48,534 Posts
Yes I have always thought about this, particularly with the Australian. Sydney to Melbourne is a 90 min flight so in theory it could be done but that would really be cutting it close, like doing a 9 AM match in Sydney, finish at 1130, run to the airport for 130 flight, arrive at 3, play at 5 pm in Melbourne? That would be crazy

Nice to Paris is roughly the same so the same time theory would be there. Nottingham to London is a 2 hr train, Winston Salem to NYC would be another 1 hr 30 flight as in Australia or France, so in all cases it is ok to be done in theory but in reality it would be a logistical gamble because you don't know if all the shit goes right. You can't have ANY delays anywhere along the route or you're fucked. Not only that, you have to smooth talk both tournament directors to accommodate you.

It can be done but its very very difficult

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
The only two players doing that are Pavic and Devvarman. Pavic played Nice qualies and Devvarman played Geneva qualies.

Since the draw came out today and they both lost yesterday, I don't see how this is a problem.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Yes I have always thought about this, particularly with the Australian. Sydney to Melbourne is a 90 min flight so in theory it could be done but that would really be cutting it close, like doing a 9 AM match in Sydney, finish at 1130, run to the airport for 130 flight, arrive at 3, play at 5 pm in Melbourne? That would be crazy

Nice to Paris is roughly the same so the same time theory would be there. Nottingham to London is a 2 hr train, Winston Salem to NYC would be another 1 hr 30 flight as in Australia or France, so in all cases it is ok to be done in theory but in reality it would be a logistical gamble because you don't know if all the shit goes right. You can't have ANY delays anywhere along the route or you're fucked. Not only that, you have to smooth talk both tournament directors to accommodate you.

Slam qualies start a few days before the main draw. RG qualies start tomorrow actually.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rublev is 1st seed in qualifying and is playing Cilic tomorrow. I think he has pulled out of qualifying though so not sure. Anyway, Rublev is partly excused as he got a late WC for qualifying.

Edit: He was signed up for qualifying but pulled out.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Thanks for the info, really surprised there are only two players who fit the scenario.
Players in the MD of these ATP tourneys usually don't have to play Slam qualies. Last direct acceptance into Nice was Paire (#84) and Geneva was Berankis (#80).

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You are thinking of logistics, I am thinking of the fact that the player has to tank the ATP event in order to play qualifying.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
I think it is allowed as long as they lose in the 1st or 2nd round of qualies of the ATP toruney they are signed. At least it works like that with WTA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts