Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2018/09/20/tennis-poised-new-majesty-cup-tournament-winner-takes-pot-75mprize/

According to this article it would take place the week after US Open (WTF???), be an exhibition (WTF???) and the winner gets all the prize money and all the others get nothing (WTF???).

Please stay out of tennis. You already ruined Davis Cup...I hope this is just a stupid rumour by the telegraph and we will never see this project become reality. Or only players outside top 100 attend because nobody wants this directly after USO. At least the winner could really use the money..

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Somebody tells this joke to get the fuck out.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Well maybe it sounds like an interesting idea but imagine all tournaments were like this? Not a good precedent imho.

Also, I do find it interesting everyone mentions Pique while in reality it's probably Asian business money.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Players may hate it but I bet if they get invited they will pounce.

You don't just abandon the possibility of you taking all of $10 million

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The fall season used to host the Grand Slam Cup in Germany which was a million dollars to the winner, then it was upped I believe to $2m. There is a ton of money in tennis and there is a demand to see more high stakes tennis after the US Open. This new event could succeed if it can find a suitable home base, like Grand Slam Cup thrived in Germany in the Becker/Graf (and Pete-Andre) German tennis boom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts