Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,177 Posts
CINCINNATI Doubles 2017

20 August 2017 Nicolas Mahut and Pierre-Hugues Herbert claim their sixth different ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown in Cincinnati (d. Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares 7-6[6], 6-4).

Herbert and Mahut notch 10th team title

Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut captured their second straight ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title in dramatic fashion on Sunday at the Western & Southern Open.

The Frenchmen celebrated a 7-6(6) 6-4 victory over Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares, as Herbert lunged for a stunning return that landed just inside the tramline for the lone break of the match.

Herbert and Mahut, who lifted the Coupe Rogers trophy just one week ago, extend their win streak to eight in a row with the win in Cincinnati. It marks the second straight year in which a team has completed the Canada-Cincinnati double, following Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in 2016.

"We're having a good run," said Herbert. "It's our second straight title in Cincinnati and we're looking forward to a third at the US Open... It's an amazing run we're having.

"I think it was a great final, a great level of doubles. Both teams are playing well. It all came down to one or two points. So it was a great match and we came out winning. So it's an amazing feeling right now and we are just happy to win."

Moreover, the French duo have now won six ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crowns, all at different tournaments. They reeled off three straight victories to open their 2016 campaign, in Indian Wells, Miami and Monte Carlo, and have now compiled another streak of three consecutive Masters 1000 titles, triumphing in Rome, Montreal and Cincinnati.

"It was good to play in front of many fans today," said Mahut. "I think Jamie and Bruno played really great tennis all the week and today. A little bit lucky to get the first set and then at the end we won the match. It was really, really close, but was on our side today."

Herbert and Mahut needed one hour and 35 minutes to notch their 10th team title overall, saving all four break points faced. Herbert's heroics on their first match point - and first break point of the final - sealed the victory.

They split $295,500 in prize money and 1,000 Emirates ATP Doubles Rankings points, further solidifying their place among the top threats bidding to qualify for the Nitto ATP Finals.

Individually, Mahut clinched his 20th tour-level doubles title, while Herbert moved to 11-5 in title matches. Murray and Soares dropped to 6-4 in finals together, sharing $144,670 in prize money and 600 Emirates ATP Doubles Rankings points.

:wavey:

·
Premium Member
25,177 Posts
2018 :bigclap:

2018 ROTTERDAM Doubles

Herbert/Mahut End Unbeaten Streak; Win Rotterdam Title

18 February 2018 - Frenchmen Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut ended Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic’s unbeaten start to the 2018 season 2-6, 6-2, 10/7 to lift the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament on Sunday.

The third seeds came from behind to hand the second seeds, who had won all 17 of their previous matches this season, their first defeat of 2018. Marach and Pavic had been bidding to win a fourth title of the season after earlier triumphs in Doha, Auckland and at the Australian Open, but it was the all-French duo who tasted victory after 68 minutes of play.

“[Winning for] the first time with Pierre is something great,” said Mahut. “We are pretty happy about the week, we played so many good teams, especially finally beating the undefeated team. It is something special in the final.”

Herbert and Mahut have now won 11 titles as a team, including three consecutive Masters 1000 titles in Rome, Canada and Cincinnati last season. This is also Mahut’s third title in Rotterdam, having previously lifted the trophy in 2014 (w/Llodra) and 2016 (w/Pospisil).

Marach and Pavic started strong with two breaks of serve to secure a one-set lead, but were taken into a Match Tie-break after a vastly improved serving performance from their opponents in the second set. From there, a series of mini-breaks followed as both pairings struggled to hold serve. But, from 4/6 down, Herbert and Mahut improved their level and charged to victory, winning six of the last seven points, to take the title in the famous port city.

“They played an amazing level in the first set, we were slow to start,” admitted Herbert. “They played amazing and then we levelled it up. We played an amazing game in the beginning of the second [set] and then you go forwards into the [Match] Tie-break, it can go everywhere, but this time it was for us. We are really, really happy about the win today."

Herbert and Mahut will split $120,910 in prize money and earn 500 ATP Rankings points after their title-winning run. “Being able... to win the tournament is just an amazing feeling,” added Herbert. “[Our confidence] is going to get better, I hope, as the year will pass by.”

Did You Know?

Herbert and Mahut have also ended Marach and Pavic’s impressive Match Tie-break winning streak. Before their final loss, the duo had won their past nine extended tie-breaks dating back to the Western & Southern Open in August 2017.

·
Premium Member
25,177 Posts
2019 AUSTRALIAN OPEN Men’s Doubles

First team to win all four majors since the Bryan brothers in 2006 :hatoff:

Nicolas Mahut and Pierre-Hugues Herbert became the eighth men's doubles team in the sport’s history to complete the Career Grand Slam of all four major championship crowns on Sunday afternoon by clinching their first Australian Open trophy.

The fifth-seeded Frenchmen defeated No. 12 seeds and 2017 champions Kontinen and Peers 6-4, 7-6(1) in one hour and 38 minutes to add to their 2015 US Open, 2016 Wimbledon and 2018 Roland Garros titles. The tandem hit 14 winners to 25 for Kontinen and Peers, but their greater consistency on serve proved to be the difference on Rod Laver Arena.

“We knew when we won Roland Garros that it was the one missing, so for sure it added maybe a special motivation when entering this tournament,” said Herbert. “I think we wanted it, but we also wanted to be good on court in each match and we focused on the game, and that's why maybe today we could achieve what we achieved here at the Australian Open.”

“Today, I didn't have it in mind, because I thought I was sure it would have been really difficult to play if I was just focused on just to win this tournament, because it was the one missing," said Mahut. "I was just focused on the game, just focused on what I have to do on court to be good, because in front of us we had a really good team to beat.”

Herbert and Mahut became the first team to complete the Career Grand Slam since Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan secured their set of major titles at Wimbledon in July 2006. The 2019 champions are also the second all-French pair in the Open Era (since April 1968) to lift the Australian Open trophy, following in the footsteps of Michael Llodra and Fabrice Santoro.

Kontinen and Peers both saved three break points in their first service games, but the pressure mounted and successive groundstroke winners helped Herbert and Mahut break Kontinen’s serve for a 5-4 advantage.

Herbert saved four break points at 1-2 in the second set, before Peers saved two break points — courtesy of two backhand errors — in a 16-point game. Three successive errors from Kontinen and Peers at the start of the tie-break, gave Herbert and Mahut the upper hand en route to an historic victory. The two teams are now tied 2-2 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series.

Rod Laver and Roy Emerson, the only two players in the sport’s history to capture all four major singles championships twice, presented the trophies on the main stadium at Melbourne Park. Afterwards, Novak Djokovic, who is attempting to make history today against Rafael Nadal by lifting a record seventh Australian Open singles crown, came out onto court to congratulate Herbert and Mahut.

Herbert and Mahut are now 13-6 in tour-level finals, including six ATP Masters 1000 crowns.

“When I had to choose a partner when [Michael] Llodra retired, then I had no doubt that I had to play with Pierre-Hugues," said Mahut. "Because I was sure we'd have so much success. Then after five years, we learned about each other. We spent so much time on court, out of the court. As I said on court, I love him like my brother.”

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Thanks for all the updates @TNX1.0E6TOPCA

Also he is becoming a better singles player having made the Final in Montpellier, but lost to Tsonga. Then he went out in Rotterdam to Nishikori in 3 sets. Perhaps tired from the long run in Montpellier?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Been like a year since anyone posted..

Pierre won the first round at the Australian Open after a thriller vs Norrie. 7-5 3-6 3-6 7-5 6-4 after 3h45 followed by a huge celebration. He gets to play his Goffin in the second round, allez PHH!

101 - 109 of 109 Posts