Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PICK-A-LOSER (PAL) Montpellier​

Welcome to Pick-A-Loser (PAL), the Dark Side of Prediction Games

Playing is quite easy: You're limited to 13 picks of any match over the tournament in the main draw. The scoring points behind each fixture (match) represents the points you get if the corresponding player wins. Those points will go to your position in the leaderboard and whoever has the most points at the end of the tournament is the winner.

I've been inspired to make an opposite version of PAW (PAL) which is a very good game (link here: https://www.menstennisforums.com/179-paw/) by @NextGenKing who has came up with an extremely great idea which is basically the opposite of Suicide Tennis and it's called Reincarnation Tennis (https://www.menstennisforums.com/4-games/957106-reincarnation-tennis-suggestion-thread.html) and if you want an example of how this game was played here for the first time as a trial here is the link: https://www.menstennisforums.com/6516-australian-open/956848-reincarnation-tennis-aus-open-edition.html

Commitments
In order to play in this tournament you should post a commitment to play here (i.e. In, In please). The deadline for your commitment will be when the first ball is hit for main draw or when play has started. If you miss the deadline, you can still play by using a wildcard and these won't be used up as an all-year thing yet like in PAW as the game hasn't got any rankings or anything official yet and this is just an experimenting version.
Note: No commitment or WC means your picks are invalid up until you ask for a Wildcard.

Before posting picks, check that the matches haven't started yet. A pick that is posted after a match started is invalid and may be replaced. In case a match doesn't take place due to withdrawal or change of the draw, the pick is invalid and may be replaced. If a player retires or defaulted after the match has started (even if one point was played), the pick is valid.

Changing your picks
If you want to amend a previous pick (cancel or change), quote the original post and add a new message.

Don't edit your posts and never delete them!

Don't forget you're limited to 13 picks

Basic Guidelines
- Never edit or delete your posts. If you want to change or cancel a pick, use a new post to state your new pick and make it clear which pick you are cancelling or changing.
- Please try to check if a match has started before picking it. If a pick is late it is invalid and you may replace it. (I will use times that are posted from https://www.flashscore.com.au/tennis/ but I may also use liveticker.de or xscores.com since that is what they generally use for other games)
- If a player withdraws before the match, the pick does not count and may be replaced.
- If a player retires during the match, the pick is valid and the points are given to the winner.
- Please use the format for posting your picks like this: PALxx (the "xx" being which pick it is (numbered and also before you hit double digits do PAL05 or PAL07) Djokovic over Murray. It makes my job a lot easier.
- Finally, please use the players' last names as seen in the scoring points section below (and not their nicknames or variations). Names often misspelled are Spanish and Eastern European names. Thanks!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Score Points Tables

Round 1:
Code:
[B]KHACHANOV, KAren (1)..........[/B] vs Bye, B...................... ([B]0[/B]-0)
ISTOMIN, Denis................ vs Berretini, Matteo................ (0-0)
GULBIS, Ernests............. vs HURKACZ, Hubert............. (10-10)
ALBOT, Radu................. vs KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp (5).. (7-14)

[B]SIMON, Gilles (6)........... [/B]vs Bye, B...................... ([B]0[/B]-0)
HUMBERT, Ugo (7)............ vs TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried......... (16-6)
Qualifier, Q................ vs DARCIS, Steve PR............ (0-0)
ZVEREV, Mischa.............. vs CHARDY, Jeremy (6).......... (8-12)

HERBERT, Pierre-Hugues (7).. vs KUDLA, Denis................ (11-9)
IVASHKA, Ilya............... vs FABBIANO, Thomas............ (10-10)
GRANOLLERS, Marcel.......... vs KARLOVIC, Ivo............... (9-11)
Bye, B...................... vs [B]SHAPOVALOV, Denis WC (3)[/B].... (0-[B]0[/B])

PAIRE, Benoit (8)........... vs DONSKOY, Evgeny............. (12-9)
BERDYCH, Tomas.............. vs Qualifier, Q................ (0-0)
KRAJINOVIC, Filip........... vs Qualifier, Q................ (0-0)
Bye, B...................... vs [B]GOFFIN, David...............[/B] (0-[B]0[/B])

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How to work out the Score Points for a match...
10 x SQRT (opponent) / SQRT (player)
SQRT = Square Root of the number
Opponent = number of ATP Ranking Points the player has (see below)
Player = number of ATP Ranking Points the player has (see below)

E.g. Roger FEDERER (SUI) ...... vs. Stefanos TSITSIPAS (GRE)
Federer Points = 10 x SQRT (45.77 = SQRT of 2095 ranking points) / SQRT (80 = SQRT of 6420 ranking points)
= 6 (rounded up from 5.72125)
Tsitsipas Points = 10 x SQRT (80 = SQRT of 6420 ranking points) / SQRT (45.77 = SQRT of 2095 ranking points)
=18 (rounded up from around 17.5)

There is another way of doing it but I think mine is pretty similar

E.g. Use the formula for any player:
10 x SQRT(Opponent) / SQRT(Player)
SQRT = squareroot of the number
Opponent = number of ATP points the opponent has (see below)
Player = number of ATP points the player has (see below)

Eg. Nicolas JARRY (CHI) ...... vs. Viktor TROICKI (SRB)
Jarry points = 10 x SQRT(252) / SQRT(1022)
................ = 10 x 15.9 / 32.0
................ = 5
Troicki points = 10 x SQRT(1022) / SQRT(252)
................ = 10 x 32.0 / 15.9
................ = 20

And then all you have to do is basically switch it around so instead of Tsitsipas being on the 18 points it'd be Federer because you're choosing him to lose and if he loses and you chose it correctly you get 18 points. Also feel free to make any suggestions on how we should alter it i.e. if you pick someone to lose you can't pick them again for the rest of the tournament (so if you pick them and they don't lose you can't pick them to lose again to make it more interesting) as it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaderboard
Code:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can commit now and hopefully, I can manage this to success. Also if you're interested in helping out with scoring points or something etc. pm me and I'll give you me email if a few people are interested we can do a group chat in the emails.

PAL Players - Commitments to post #19

Currently 13 players
Code:
                Player_________		NAT

Looch_________		AUS
		NextGenKing___		IRL
		gux___________		BLR
		Yolita_________		MEX
		rjd___________		ARG
		nachotuerto____		URU
		rusca_djokerfan 	CRO
		_AA___________		CRO