Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this has been posted before but its pretty amusing
Cash is pretty much a low-life (not that we didn't know it before :devil: )

By Richard Pagliaro
07/28/2003

The verbal volleys former coach Pat Cash cracked at him were deftly dismissed by Mark Philippoussis. The Wimbledon winner, who spent yesterday practicing with doubles partner Lleyton Hewitt in preparation for this week's Mercedes-Benz in Los Angeles, said he would reserve any response for Cash himself.

After Philippoussis played his way into the Wimbledon final earlier this month, Cash lashed out at Philippousis a stinging critique of both the 1998 U.S. Open finalist's personal life and professional approach. Cash portrayed Philippoussis as an uncommitted player whose passion for partying was stronger than his propensity for practicing.

According to Cash, Philippoussis tried to visit a Manhattan strip club on the eve of the U.S. Open semifinals, but failed to gain admittance because he forgot his driver's license. Cash also revealed he had to convince Philippoussis that spending the night with former girlfriend Anna Kournikova wasn't the ideal preparation for late-round U.S. Open match. Cash completed his criticism by calling Philippoussis "one of the most uncommitted people to rise to prominence in sport."

Asked to address Cash's comments yesterday, Philippoussis took the high road and declined to engage in an insulting exchange with his former coach.

"If I have something bad to say about someone, I'm going to say it to their face," Philippoussis told Robert Lusetich of The Australian. "Obviously, of course, it's disappointing but when a guy writes a book like that and bags a lot of people, I mean, what can you say?"

The comments from Cash came nearly a year after he criticized Philippoussis in his autobiography Uncovered. The book reveals the former fourth-ranked Cash crashed into career decline due to a variety of injuries, including a painful herniated disc in his back. To combat the pain, Cash increased his cocaine consumption and details his days of partying with fellow former pros in his book.

"No one enjoys pain," Cash said. "I found I could enlist the help of the ultimate party animal (cocaine) to help me forget my ailments for just one night. To me then, Vitas (Gerulaitis) was quite simply The Man. He lived to enjoy himself and was heavily into cocaine. His playing days were behind him but he was still very much part of the scene."

In the aftermath of his playing career, Cash eventually quit drugs and became a successful coach, guiding Philippoussis to the 1998 U.S. Open final where he lost to compatriot Patrick Rafter and later coaching Greg Rusedski.

Cash, who has characterized Philippoussis as "the most talented player — next to John McEnroe — I've ever seen, but also one of the laziest players I've known" discusses his attempts to mend the rift between Rafter and Philippoussis created when the Philippoussis family became infuriated at the sight of Australian national coach Tony Roche seated in Rafter's friends box during the U.S. Open final. Cash recalls Philippoussis' former girlfriend, Anna Kournikova, demanding daily phone calls in which Philippoussis was required to tell Kournikova how beautiful she was.

Acknowledging he sometimes lived his life as if it were an extreme sport in the early stages of his career, Philippoussis said learning from the past is part of growing up.

"I'm a 26-year-old guy. Life doesn't come with a manual," Philippoussis told Lusetich. "I'll make decisions that are going to be wrong, that are going to be right, the only thing I can do is learn from it. Everyone matures in different stages. I mean, being a young guy, single guy, all of a sudden who gets a bit of fame and some money, what are you going to do? Are you going to buy a little townhouse and train your ass off? Or maybe you might buy a big house and nice car and go party? It's the normal thing to do and I was living, you know, other guys' dreams that they dream of and you're in a position to live that life. Why not do it? And I got it out of my system and I've realized that they're not the most important things in life."

Times have changed and so have Philippoussis' priorities. His runner-up result at Wimbledon was a remarkable run for a player who could not even walk a little more than two years ago. Three knee surgeries — in January 2000, December 2000 and March 2001 — have left Philippoussis’ left knee nearly completely devoid of cartilage with the surface of the skin looking like a road map with routes signified by scars.

Following the most severe surgery of his career — in March of 2001 — Philippoussis was confined to his bed and a wheelchair for nearly two months. Unable to walk, he seriously contemplated calling it quits. In retrospect, Philippoussis said his last surgery — and his father Nick's successful battle with cancer — inspired him to rededicate himself to tennis and revive his career.

"Obviously a lot of people would like to achieve things and obviously a lot of people aren't going to do that but the thing with me is I wanted to give myself the chance to achieve those things," Philippoussis said. "By that I mean, working my ass off, doing everything I can to give myself the opportunity and then the rest is up to me."

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
Kudos to Mark, after what he's been through, he did make it to a Wimbledon & a US Open final. Not many players can say the same with their careers...

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Asked to address Cash's comments yesterday, Philippoussis took the high road and declined to engage in an insulting exchange with his former coach.

"If I have something bad to say about someone, I'm going to say it to their face," Philippoussis told Robert Lusetich of The Australian. "Obviously, of course, it's disappointing but when a guy writes a book like that and bags a lot of people, I mean, what can you say?"
:clap2: Mark :clap2: Well done!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Seems to me that Philippoussis has learned from his mistakes and matured. Cash, on the other hand remains a tactless boob. I'm sure lots of players and coaches could write tell-alls about what they see day in and day out on the tour. Most of them, though, choose not to tell tales out of school. I always thought that Cash's autobiography was a way from him to get some attention, since his playing days were behind him. He didn't reveal any of that information out of concern for Philippoussis, or even for insight's sake. He did it because it's juicy info, he knew would draw attention to himself. A lowlife indeed.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i have no idea but it's a safe guess that Cash's coaching days are behind him. i can't see anyone hiring him anytime soon.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Cash did all these just for, yes, $$CASH$$. And who want to be friend of a guy like this?

Kudo to Mark. He really matures now and responses in exactly the right way!

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
:bigclap: :bowdown: Mark

:fiery: :smash: :tape: Cash

was mark really the ex-boy friend of Anna :confused:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
thanks Bolero for telling me :)

anna: good taste ;) but then wasn't she betrayed Sergi coz she was still with him :confused:

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Bolero, hehehe, mimi is conservative :p

mimi may be too busbody, lol :eek:

and i thought that anna was quite conservative coz she has only 3 boy friends, Sergi, Bave? (wrong spelling) and now the latin singer :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts