Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some of you probably knew it already but Peter Luczak played his last match today in a doubles loss to the Bryans with Hewitt at the AO.

All i can say is, whilst it was by no means a spectacular career, Peter deserves recognition for the hard work ethic he brought to the game which saw him make the most of his potential and get the most out of himself, as well as recognition for his time served on the ATP player council improving the sport.

Whilst i wasn't his biggest fan, 2 memories i will have of him was his match where he beat Gonzalez Costa Do Sauipe 2005 in 3 sets which was an epic win, and the look in his eyes as he walked onto a packed Rod Laver Arena for his third round match against Tommy Haas in 2006. The eyes of a man living out his dream.

He will remain a role model for young players, particularly in Australia where we are very spoiled, to show you where hard work and a genuine passion for the game can take you.

He's gonna spend the rest of the year seeing out his term on the player council until September, and also travel to coach Hewitt at the smaller tournaments.

Good luck after tennis Peter.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good luck for Peter.

:)

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Irrelevant player, I won't miss him. I connect him to De Voest: two blond journeymen with boring game, boring behavior, uncertain face expression, prone to choke at the main level.

·
29,645 Posts
Good to see everyone's so respectful round here.

Pete's a good bloke, worked hard and now he can enjoy life with his family.

·
MONSOON season.
82,285 Posts
Irrelevant player, I won't miss him. I connect him to De Voest: two blond journeymen with boring game, boring behavior, uncertain face expression, prone to choke at the main level.
Very unfair comparison in my opinion. Apart from the fact that they are both journeymen with little on-court (charismatic) presence, they have very little in common. Their games are diametrically opposed; I would say that Luczak carries himself much more gracefully off court; the Australian has a much different work ethic; and Luczak is much more 'accomplished' singles player (much better ranking, both in terms of highest-rank achieved an in terms of consistency, and many more Challenger titles), whereas he can't hold a candle to De Voest's doubles game.

I don't find Luczak exciting either, but he deserves more on the week of his retirement than a reductive comparison to De Voest.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Great guy, good for the game. Good work Looch

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Wish the man the best. Might get bored and return as a full doubles player, could have some success if his body holds out.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Great role model. Hard worker who never gave up and was able to achieve his best ranking relatively late in his career. All the best Pete!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was thinking the other why don't Hewitt and Luczak start a full time career in doubles together. They seeme like a likable duo with some decents results. Both players' careers in singles are pretty much over anyways.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
actually de voest is one of the top nicest / most interesting guys i've ever had a chance of interviewing and luczak has been patient, nice and honest in his speech as well

i agree he should show the young australian spoiled brats how it is when you must work for everything yourself. he also commented very straighforwardly on tomic when tomic acted like such a prick when they were supposed to have a practise session

he was not nalbandian in terms of talent but far more interesting than most of the guys you see on tour!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Good luck for his life after tennis!

·
Banned
4,017 Posts
This guy probably made one of his days better than your whole life.

No one is irrelevant, especially a guy who worked so hard and reached great results.

You should be respectful towards Peter, he is an example of hard worker, and I will miss him.

Good luck in your post-tennis life, Mr Luczak. :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
An "Australian" whose favourite surface is clay doesn't deserve respect. There have been many Australian journeymen who played attractive, exciting tennis, but Luczak was just another generic, gutless baseliner.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
This guy probably made one of his days better than your whole life.
Perhaps.

No one is irrelevant, especially a guy who worked so hard and reached great results.
Ok, in my opinion he is irrelevant, not as a man (maybe he is nice, sweet, handsome, intelligent etc.), just as a tennis player.

It's a forum and people have rights to express own opinions from many different angles even if they don't tend to be "politically correct", (I know that those threads have a hidden message "good luck in your future life :wavey:) for Nathaliia it might be a perspective of interviews, for others a perspective of the work ethics, for me it's my subjective tennis taste and objective knowledge considering tennis achievements. Period.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts