Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The fact that Fognini was fined $27,500 for his behavior during a first-round match that he eventually won at Wimbledon is duly noted as a statistical detail that may or may not be interesting. When an Italian journalist asked Fognini if he felt he were the subject of special scrutiny, Fognini sounded almost repentant as he replied, “I am kept track of the way Ernests Gulbis is because we’re two hotheads.” He added, “They have rules here, different from other (tournaments), that need to be followed.”

Time was, a guy like Fognini might have reacted to the disciplinary measure by suggesting that all those old guys with out-of-control nose hairs in their club ties could take their fine and stuff it.

Not anymore. Times have changed. Pete Sampras and Jim Courier, coming on the heels of McEnroe and Connors, trumped the hot-headedness of that rebel, Andre Agassi. We embarked upon a new era of civility and rekindled sportsmanship. Critically, Roger Federer and then Rafael Nadal embraced the new/old ethos. Only the odd malcontent dares decry them as “corporate.”

I can’t help but feel that a few guys out there—Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, most notably—had real rebel potential. But they decided to go the other way. It’s just easier, for one thing. For another, if what you really want to do is win big tournaments, it’s the way to go. It seems almost an amazing feat that those distracted, much-despised—as well as loved—rebels of yore actually won big tournaments. But that’s also what gave them what legitimacy they have.

The modest and dwindling rebel class currently consists of Fognini, Gulbis, Bernard Tomic, Radek Stepanek, and Benoit Paire. None of them is likely to overturn the establishment’s or fan base’s preference for what Connors would undoubtedly, and with some justification, deride as conformity."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/07/hard-times-hard-cases/52207/

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Nadal and sportsmanship in the same sentence? Null and void article.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Bozo has to write about something. Most of his articles are tabloid based BS.

Djokovic or Murray potential rebels? I don't think so. It's not in their nature. Fog is not a rebel, he is an ignorant neurotic brat.

Connors wasn't a rebel, Connors was a primitive jerk. He is the only tennis player that I still hate with passion. JMac was annoying. I've never liked him either.

The only guy who can be called a 'rebel' or a 'bad boy' was Safin but he did it with so much style. That's why he was loved by everyone. He didn't act, he was himself plus he was a great player.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Don't worry Peter Bodo, there's two Aussie's coming up with immense potential. One acts cocky and rebellious, and the other has cocky and rebelliakis in his name.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Bodo seems to forget that back in the day when Tennis wasn't the huge global enterprise it is now, the ATP actually wanted nut jobs around like Connors and McEnroe to boost it's popularity.

Now that tennis doesn't need so called Tennis brats anymore, there's no point in trying to be one, you just look like a mug.

McEnroe even admits as much in his auto-biography:

"They had a show to put on and my presence put behinds in the seats, If I went home they lost money. The tournament directors knew it, and the linesmen knew it. I knew it. The system let me get away with more and more."

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nadal and sportsmanship in the same sentence? Null and void article.
It actually applies to federer, who happens to be a cheater.

Federer cheated Andy Murray in full glare....when the ball double bounced...he lied I do not know.
Arrogant federer warning umpire...what kind of sportsmanship it is?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't worry Peter Bodo, there's two Aussie's coming up with immense potential. One acts cocky and rebellious, and the other has cocky and rebelliakis in his name.
LOL..
One is Kokkinakis...who is the other one?

oh got it..

·
10,269 Posts
Djokovic is naturally a rebel, but has been controlled by the evil ATP Honor Puppeteers.

Remember this Djokovic???

·
Registered
24,789 Posts

Djokovic or Murray potential rebels? I don't think so. It's not in their nature. Fog is not a rebel, he is an ignorant neurotic brat.

Connors wasn't a rebel, Connors was a primitive jerk. He is the only tennis player that I still hate with passion. JMac was annoying. I've never liked him either.

The only guy who can be called a 'rebel' or a 'bad boy' was Safin but he did it with so much style. That's why he was loved by everyone. He didn't act, he was himself plus he was a great player.
Oh and all those guys aren't being themselves, please. :rolleyes:

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
I am sure the two are rebels types at least during their play (I mean, Murray still talks to himself (a rebel of himself? :lol:), Djokovic still acts negatively when the crowd is not his side, and quite sarcastic from time to time) but turn PRish during off-time (especially Djokovic IMO). If people are saying that tennis doesn't have a villain at the top, they are not looking deeply IMO.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts

Excellent Post!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Bodo the drunk probably gave a full one second of thought about this subject, and then went on a writing autopilot with the best effort to remember his point. Rebels? LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts