Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 600 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
pistol pete sampras now firmly believes that this current era is the strongest ever? do you agree with him?

the floor is at your disposal. have fun with this. what is your own current/revised,updated position on this?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Re: Professor Sampras Believes This Is the Strongest Era Ever

Really? The era without Malvai Washington in slam semi's is stronger? SHOCKING.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i personally believe that 80`s was the toughest era ever.

that said, even i have to study the current dynamics a bit more carefully. when was the last time we had the 3 top players with 30 slams between them.

so that is somethinhg to consider.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

I don't even know what strongest means. I suppose some people are taking it to mean that the level of competition was very tough and there was a deep field. I don't think this quite works because thats not a measure of greatness but rather consistency. It may mean the top players were equally mediocre and the slam titles were spread around.

What if we ask whether the players of today are superior tennis players? Well, this completely doesn't work because tennis is a whole different game today. The speed of the courts and the advancement of technology makes such a comparison impossible. Maybe todays players are better athletes, but this is also irrelevant because athleticism and quickness go hand in hand with being successful on todays surfaces.

It's imposible to compare tennis eras in terms of an arbitrary term like "greatness." We can easily say when the field is top heavy or deep in achievements, but that's about it in my opinion.

Reactions: Alex999

·
Registered
521 Posts

This is a lie..There is no dispute that this current era is the weakest and most disgraceful in
the history of tennis.

The era of lions was in the 90's.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

It depends on what aspect of the game we're talking about. In some ways this undoubtedly is the strongest era, (athleticism, physique, movement, consistently hard ballstriking, passing shots from way far back in the court, etc). In others it most definitely isn't, as the racquet technology coupled with how strong everyone are have removed many gamestyles and elements. This has made it easier for the masters of the currently viable trades to dominate.

Every era with its distinct or less distinct dynamics had different strengths and weaknesses. As for entertainment value(, which sport ultimately should be about,) there are many other decades which I rank way higher than the current era. There's hardly any room for contrasts today.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is a lie..There is no dispute that this current era is the weakest and most disgraceful in
the history of tennis.

do you realize the imlications of what you believe and what you are saying about the current era?

·
Registered
678 Posts

Honestly, yes. This is the greatest tennis I have ever seen played. Granted, I've only been following since around 1996...

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

and it is about to get even better in 2012.

just watch what fed, clay warrior, d-pot, and murray bring to the party in 2012 to better compete with the great serbian slayer.

nole has forced the field`s hand to improve.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts

and it is about to get even better in 2012.

just watch what fed, clay warrior, d-pot, and murray bring to the party in 2012 to better compete with the great serbian slayer.

nole has forced the field`s hand to improve.
I hope you're right actually. Not that I begrudge Nadal or Federer or Djokovic their success with dominant years one after another, but I do hope their is a clash of the titans next year, where the other player begin to deal with Djoko-2.0 and each slam could be won by several contenders at the top.

·
Registered
24,803 Posts

the history of tennis.

mediter, i have been missing you :hug: :woohoo: :bigclap:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

Talent wise one of the strongest.

Mental strength and fortitude wise, outside the top 3 one of the weakest.

Reactions: Alex999
3,728 Posts

seeing this era compared to the 1960s makes me physically sick

honestly

the 1990s were not as strong as the 60s but much stronger than today

thiss website is almost becoming as full of shit and tards as talk tennis warehouse

·
Registered
7,805 Posts

Yes it is definitely the strongest era ever. Just look at Delpo, Soderling, Berdych, Tsonga etc. They seem to be hitting the gym a lot and could all lift a lot of weight. Even in arm-wrestling/cage fighting they would no doubt crush the previous eras.

Djokovic is sort of a light in comparison but in a lower weight-class he would also perform well in the strength department. Nadal used to have pretty decent biceps but recent science has shown it was mostly fat to allow him to run longer and fight back in 5-seters. It's a bit like the hump on a camels back. Murray might play a little weak at times but his legs of thunder makes him strong too.

What drags this era down a bit might be Federers left arm. That arm is not strong but his right arm is very strong so if you average it it's all good.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts

Havent seen the 80s era myself. But this era completely wins hands down over the 90s.

In 90s, one of the All time greats ,Sampras was there and to challenge him nobody was there consistently long enough.unfortunately Agassi was at his best quite intermittently and even at his best he wasnt able to challenge Sampras for Long. Courier was at his best just when Sampras was coming to his best.But he somehow boiled off after 93. So nobody really outstaged Sampras over a longer period of time. Becker and Edberg had come to their twilight.
And Sampras was too strong for Boris.

Otherwise there were some Clay Fishes. Muster,Bruguera,Berasategui. Put them out of their water and they would....

Some quite talented blokes were there who could have posed serious challenges but somehow could'nt Like Kafelnikov,Michael Stich,Krajicek etc. They has their own temperament to blame ?

So really nobody was close to challenge an All Time Top 5 who was Sampras.

But this era. One of all time great plays 4 5 seasons in Top Gear Federer, another one Knocks him off his perch for the next couple of years completely, and then another one knocks him off the next season. This era is just incredible.

However the 80s as i havent seen it first hand would be quite some other story with likes of Mc enroe,Connors,Borg,Lendl,Becker,Edberg... That must be quite an era..

For me This Era >>> 90s and This Era ??? 80's

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

Don't know how three players can make a whole era strong, like somebody said, we are witnessing the weakest background of the greatest players in open era, watching bunch of chokers, mugs and low quality players outside Top 3.

Only Fedalovic is able to create an epic show on courts, we have seen only two non-top 4 players in slam semis this year, which says pretty much about this ERA.
Back in 90's, GS semifinals set was utterly different in every slam.

·
Premium Member
21,525 Posts

Only Fedalovic is able to create an epic show on courts, we have seen only two non-top 4 players in slam semis this year, which says pretty much about this ERA.
On WTA every slam this year had different winner and people whine that it's low quality, non-consistent players, etc. Here it's only the top 3 winning and people whine again, because the top 3 are too dominant etc. I'm not sure there is a solution where people are not going to whine :p

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Don't know how three players can make a whole era strong, like somebody said, we are witnessing the weakest background of the greatest players in open era, watching bunch of chokers, mugs and low quality players outside Top 3.

dont blame the field if the top 3 are all time greats.

that being said, now watch the field eventually reel these 3 in.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts

This is gonna be so hard on SetSampras. He's probably gonna cry and feel betrayed.

1 - 20 of 600 Posts