Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is crystal clear that the mice of this MM era struggle to beat him even after so many years of retirement and rustiness.

He could reach the no1 ranking by the end of this season if he returns with possibly 2 GS.

His medical condition hampered him even during his peak and obviously that's still a concern.Otherwise, he would love to romp through the sorry field of today, full of chokers talentless moonballers and a vile transitional champ. Gasquet has to learn some lessons to restore sanity and quality to the tour.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Just like Pete, Laver would still dominate this MM era if he cared to make a comeback :rocker2: :worship:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,415 Posts
now there should be a match between Pete and Hartfield to decide who's the GOAT

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Good to see, that you didn't forget to mention Federer in your posting, mediter. :yeah:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone with any sense really think that A) Pete is even considering a comeback, or B) he'd earn a ranking anything higher than the top 100
I saw a couple of those exhibitions he played against Fed and Roger was barely even trying...much as I think Pete was great in his day, the standard was about the same as you get in the oldies "Masters" tour.
Do you really think Haas would go all out considering he's coming back from an injury and has to get through the rest of the event?! Don't disrespect the players that are out there today...take a look at Pete's results from his last year on tour first...and remember, that was SIX years ago.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Does anyone with any sense really think that A) Pete is even considering a comeback, or B) he'd earn a ranking anything higher than the top 100
I saw a couple of those exhibitions he played against Fed and Roger was barely even trying...much as I think Pete was great in his day, the standard was about the same as you get in the oldies "Masters" tour.
Do you really think Haas would go all out considering he's coming back from an injury and has to get through the rest of the event?! Don't disrespect the players that are out there today...take a look at Pete's results from his last year on tour first...and remember, that was SIX years ago.
No, no one with any sense thinks that, which is why the two threads today were started by those particular people.

·
Banned
218 Posts
It would be a terrible decision to come back, he wouldn't be able to compete properly.But with Pete's serve, he could easily outserve and beat many of these challenger and main tour yoyo players. I guess he is still better around the net than many of todays players too.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Sampras should come back now that Agassi has retired.

Beating Haas and Federer is just amazing. No one can stand up to his old school serve and volley. :angel:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exactly.The chokers of today would run away at the first sight of a serve and volleyer,leave alone a slaying giant.

So pete should respect the wishes of his fans to come back and thrash all the pretenders for atleast a year or two ,so that ATP does something urgent to arrest the startling deterioration in quality and the epidemic of choking.A ban on nalbandian and ljubicic would not be out of place. they are like cancer for the tour!

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah, it's nice to live in a fantasy world isn't it? :smash:

I hate to inject a little bit of reality into this head-in-your-trousers, wishful thinking wankfest but has it occurred to anyone that if it was that easy to beat today's top players by serving and volleying that more people would be doing it? I mean, did you actually SEE any of the exhibitions Pete played recently? he was hobbling around like, er, a 36 year-old and Federer was having to work damn hard to make it APPEAR competitive. The courts these days are so slow that a serve-volleyer would be easy pickings for most guys...THAT'S WHY NOBODY DOES IT!! I don't know if you've ever played tennis (except perhaps on your playstation) but it's rather difficult to chip and charge when the ball is bouncing at head height as it is when Nadal & co hit it...

oh, and the tooth fairy, santa and gandalf aren't real either...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pete was great, but his time has passed. If he were a young guy just starting out on the tour, he would beat most of these guys.
However, he's not. I'm glad I got to watch him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts