Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a tournament that had the top 8 on QF, 4 on semis, 2 on finals, with the top seed eventually winning?
I'd imagine it is more likely to happen in smaller tournaments if at all.
If it hasn't happened, the closest thing to it please.

BTW, it is my first post, so be nice... and yes, i'm a lurker and would perhaps return to obscurity after this post.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
I can tell you only that the last time, 8 top seeds in the quarterfinals were in Tokyo Indoor 1991 but two of four top seeds lost in QF:
Quarterfinals
(1)Stefan Edberg d. (8)Michael Chang 6-2 6-2
(6)Goran Ivanisevic d. (4)Andre Agassi 6-3 6-4
(3)(WC)Ivan Lendl d. (5)David Wheaton 7-6(5) 7-5
(7)Derrick Rostagno d. (2)Boris Becker 7-6(4) 4-6 6-3
Semifinals
(1)Stefan Edberg d. (6)Goran Ivanisevic 4-6 7-6(2) 7-5
(7)Derrick Rostagno d. (3)(WC)Ivan Lendl 7-6(4) 6-2
Finals
(1)Stefan Edberg d. (7)Derrick Rostagno 6-3 1-6 6-2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Voo ! I guess it would be hard. It could possibly have happened in WTA due to higher disparity between top tier players and the rest.
Anyway, how about just from semis up?

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
San Jose 2002

(1)Hewitt v (4)Gambill
(2)Agassi v (3)Roddick

Agassi v Hewitt in the final

Hewitt won. He was the number one player in the world at that time.

(Thank you Steve G for making this so easy to find)

PS - If you've really been here for over a year and only have 2 posts, be prepared for MistaFlava to accuse you of being someone else's second username. Just ignore him, he does that to everyone.

·
Banned
7,774 Posts
San Jose 2002

(1)Hewitt v (4)Gambill
(2)Agassi v (3)Roddick

Agassi v Hewitt in the final

Hewitt won. He was the number one player in the world at that time.

(Thank you Steve G for making this so easy to find)

PS - If you've really been here for over a year and only have 2 posts, be prepared for MistaFlava to accuse you of being someone else's second username. Just ignore him, he does that to everyone.
Gambill seeded 4th for an atp tournament? Sounds made up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warning Fee. But, i really just like to read lots and lots of tennis here and other sites. In particular Judio's rankings thread, and Sjengster and Voo de Mar's threads in Stats section.

I really thought there would have been a perfectly realized draw, but the closest as Voo mentioned has 2 of top 4 seeds dropping in QFs. Well, i ust hope it happens. But already glad to see there were several ones from semifinals and onwards.

It is funny that I hate symmetry and perfection in real life but for tennis stuff, my favorite records are Steffi's Golden Slam, and Navratilova's single, doubles, and mix doubles slam wins. And inasmuch as I am not a fan of Agassi, I have utmost respect for him as he is the closest to having the career slam, olympic gold, and master's series shields wins. That's why I'd hope Federer completes this feat. Speaking of which, I absolutely love Steb's Federer hit list thread in the Fed section.

See, I'm really a long standing lurker that is currently on a roll now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think last year's French Open, 2006 had all four top seeds in the semis. Nalbandian, Federer, Lubo! and of course Nadal.
Would have been the ultimate perfect seeding (from semis up) as it is a Slam, but Nadal as a second seed won the title.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
for me its not perfect, its boring.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmm.... I can't recall any perfect draw!!!!

However, if I remember it correctly.... in AusOpen 2005 the top 4 seeds advanced to the semis.... #1 Federer #2 Roddick #3 Hewitt #4 Safin..... To me it was quite a remarkable semis in a Grand Slam! Although at the end it was a final showdown between #3 Hewitt and #4 Safin with Safin winning the whole thing!

Anyway, with Safin winning (& defeating Hewitt at his home ground).... it's a kinda perfect draw to me!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmm.... I can't recall any perfect draw!!!!

However, if I remember it correctly.... in AusOpen 2005 the top 4 seeds advanced to the semis.... #1 Federer #2 Roddick #3 Hewitt #4 Safin..... To me it was quite a remarkable semis in a Grand Slam! Although at the end it was a final showdown between #3 Hewitt and #4 Safin with Safin winning the whole thing!

Anyway, with Safin winning (& defeating Hewitt at his home ground).... it's a kinda perfect draw to me!

i was so dissapointed after that

·
Registered
373 Posts
Anyone know of a tournament that had the top 8 on QF, 4 on semis, 2 on finals, with the top seed eventually winning?
I'd imagine it is more likely to happen in smaller tournaments if at all.
If it hasn't happened, the closest thing to it please.

BTW, it is my first post, so be nice... and yes, i'm a lurker and would perhaps return to obscurity after this post.
With the top 8 making the QF, top 4 making the SF, and top 2 contesting the title (with perhaps the No. 1 eventually coming out on top), I never had seen one (even in smaller tournaments). Nevertheless, if it had happened, I would not call it a "perfect draw". I would call it a "perfect result". Nice thread. Hope this will not be your first and last.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Interesting thread. This has happened from the semi's on a number of occasions and even at slams the top 4 have reached the semi's twice in the last couple of years. I think it will be unlikely that it has happened from the quarter's onwards with the higher seed advancing every time but good luck to anyone who tries to look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts