Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
filip peliwo, former junior world number 1 has decided to play a challenger where he will be 2nd seed instead of playing french open qualies, where he would have made the qualies

i agree maybe he will earn more points there, but isnt it a bit of vulturing for a player who should try and go for the top? playing a challenger over a grand slam qualies is riddiculous for a player like him, imo...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
:eek: :eek: He should be playing RG qualifiers. Shame.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It will help get in the bigger tournaments later in the year

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Unregistered User
9,588 Posts
Aside from his good run in Casablanca he's been struggling to have decent results this year. I don't think he would have made it through the qualies in RG so all in all playing a challenger might be a more sensible decision.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Maybe he was planning his season more in advance. His ranking was only just high enough for qualies and it only jumped up after his Casablanca run. Maybe he was planning to play Karshi all along because he knew it would be a points grab. For someone whose biggest points are 45, 32 and 29, being 2nd seed (or thereabouts) in a Challenger with 80 points up for grabs notable.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
He is a mug with ugly strokes. At least he is now his capabilities, not like Mugsek Botspecial who is one the biggest jokes of top-30 player in atp history.

·
Registered
97,201 Posts
today he beat a guy named ismailov 2-6 7-5 7-6 in samarkand

i think he's at the right place regarding tournament plans ;)

btw this looks like a right place to win the 1st challenger title and grab nice points. with unfortunate draw at RG Q he could get, dunno, Ungur, Rola, Zeballos and get routined in QR1

i think Krstin and Khachanov also will play karshi (not sure if Rublev plays Karshi or junior events), will be an interesting battle out there between the youngsters

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
today he beat a guy named ismailov 2-6 7-5 7-6 in samarkand

i think he's at the right place regarding tournament plans ;)

btw this looks like a right place to win the 1st challenger title and grab nice points. with unfortunate draw at RG Q he could get, dunno, Ungur, Rola, Zeballos and get routined in QR1

i think Krstin and Khachanov also will play karshi (not sure if Rublev plays Karshi or junior events), will be an interesting battle out there between the youngsters
I agree. Ismailov is a teenager ranked in the 800s so if Peliwo needs a 3rd set tiebreak to beat him, he probably shouldn't be playing RG qualifies. Peliwo isn't that impressive anyway so I don't know why this is such a shock to the OP.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
I didn't like it at first, you always want guys you cheer for play a slam, they could qualify and make a run and boom big jump, but it's probably for the best. He's one of the top seeds in the challenger, getting a good result there is more likely, and will help the confidence. He's got lots of time to play slam qualies. It's not like he's some 32 year old mug who's at a career high and won't ever get the chance again.

He better play Wimbledon qualies though, he's played well on grass before.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree. Ismailov is a teenager ranked in the 800s so if Peliwo needs a 3rd set tiebreak to beat him, he probably shouldn't be playing RG qualifies. Peliwo isn't that impressive anyway so I don't know why this is such a shock to the OP.
he ended couple of Rublevs winning streaks back in juniors, he's 4-0 against him
took a set of Martin here in Samarkand few years ago as well
Ismailov will rise:worship:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think that, for a player who spends the whole year playing futures and challengers, playing GS qualies is always a great opportunity and bigger motivation than playing just another challenger. imo, chosing a challenger over a GS doesnt make you look with a good future, and being ambitious with your career and all that stuff...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Disappointing

1 - 20 of 38 Posts