·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would win on BO5 fast HC ?

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Huh, that's a bloody good question. I would take Delpo in 4 or 5 after a couple of TBs

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Universe cannot contain both these guys playing at their absolute peaks. There's a reason they only show up once per career.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
On paper I would say Tsonga isn't a brilliant match-up for Delpo who would probably prefer to be facing someone who hit with a bit more topspin, though their head to head suggests otherwise.

Peak for peak, I'd take Delpo in four or five because in a match-up of crunching groundstrokes, I think he would have more success in countering Tsonga's power; his running forehand is his signature shot and Tsonga might play into his hands on that one.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
In a single match, peak Tsonga.

But in a slam, peak DelPo can win 7 matches whereas Tsonga, not even in his peak, can.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Tsonga has higher peak but Delpo wins the matchup. Very tough to call.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Peak Jo is unplayable. I'd take him in 4 against a peak del Bashtro.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Universe cannot contain both these guys playing at their absolute peaks. There's a reason they only show up once per career.
This is probably the most accurate statement that can possibly be made in regards to this question.

I'm trying to envision Peak Tsonga vs. Peak DelPo, and I simply can't. It physically can't happen. It's like trying to jam two repelling magnets together. If you push hard enough, you can maybe get them to touch, but the universe highly disapproves and would never let it occur naturally.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Tsonga hands down IMO. Delpotro actually has a very exploitable weakness even at his abolute best. Had Federer persisted with slicing him to death, he would be slamless too.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Tsonga even at his peak doesn't have much of a BH and ROS, and he isn't fit enough for tennis.

Peak Delpo and it's not even close.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Why is Jo's BH so maligned around here? It has been a very solid shot for a while now. Nowhere near his FH, of course, but good enough, not only in that servicable way to keep the ball in play until a chance for a FH occurs, but to actually rip some very nice DTL winners from very difficult positions. ROS is poor, true, but if the rest is clikcking at peak level, that's far less an issue than delpotro's inability to deal with superb slices, which make his game collapse.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Grass = Tsonga
Clay = Delpo
Hard = Delpo
Indoor Hard = Tsonga

I think what I have said is accurate lol. Honestly its hard to pick between them at their peaks, they are both monsters when at their best.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Australian Open : Tsonga in 4 sets
Roland-Garros : Tsonga in 5 sets
Wimbledon : Tsonga in 4 sets
US Open : del Potro in 4 sets
World Tour Finals : del Potro in 3 sets

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Tsonga. His clinic against Nadal at '08 AO is better than any Delpo's match.

But, unfortunately, Jo's peak version very rarely shows up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts