Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on hard: Janko had almost won the match against Federer (7-9 5th set at AO) - would he on that day win against peak Mugpras who is objectively inferior player comparing to Federer?

on clay: not Janko's best surface, but as we all know, Mugpras sucked on clay hard - with that in mind, what would be Janko's chances?

on grass: Janko beat Roddick at W, but I guess Mugpras is still the better grass player than Botdick ever was, so there is no serious indication Janko could beat Mugpras on this surface.

So Janko's chances against Sampras may not be very high on grass, but what about hard and clay? And who is ultimately the better (NOT greater) player?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Tipsarevic was close to beating Fed, but nowhere near peak Fed. Tipsy was a fantastic player at his best, but not in the same league Sampras. Even on clay, Sampras at least managed to win Rome and still had multiple fantastic wins on the surface. Janko never had nearly that success, on any surface. If they had played in the same era, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Janko get a win or two over Pete, but it wouldn’t happen with any regularity. Peak Tipsarevic wouldn’t hold a candle to peak Sampras.

·
Premium Member
11,538 Posts
Sampras was a mug on clay. Tpsiveric and probably a bunch of current guys could woop him there.

Unlike Isner , Sampras played in an era where S+V was viable because of the court speed and serving, but clay has never been the S+V paradise... I'm sure someone is better versed in the clay surface over the years, but I imagine in comparison to Carpet/ Ultra Quick Hard courts , clay probably hasn't changed too much.

Sampras on modern hard courts would still be really good. Maybe not Miami or humid US or Asia tournament, but he still would be doing really well on hardcourt, considering his serve was that good and his forehand still matches up to today's guys.

But yeah Tipsaveric would beat Sampras on clay as would many other guys.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Sampras was a mug on clay.
This is typical MTF steaming horsesh*t. Sampras WON the Italian Open ffs. He reached 3 RG semis at at time when competition on the surface was fierce, unlike now. Sampras would be very dangerous on today's clay, but back then there were , in his own words, '100 Spaniards who can all play'.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Unironically probably a really bad match-up for Sampras
Yep, it is like Agassi vs. him. On todays surfaces Sampras will be in trouble.
Of course I am talking about peak Tisparevic only who nearly never appeared.

·
9,619 Posts
Ah Unbiased, threads are starting to drop in standards mate

Reactions: nachotuerto

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Is this supposed to be taken seriously? Comparing a 14 time grand slam champ and one of the games greats to someone who was just a top 10 player at one point.......

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this supposed to be taken seriously? Comparing a 14 time grand slam champ and one of the games greats to someone who was just a top 10 player at one point.......
Careful when you talk about a legend of the game. He even managed to beat a tired Big 2 member at WTF, which is maybe harder than beating peak Sampras.

Mugpras on the other hand won his 14 slams in a mug undeveloped era, in which his biggest "rival" was Clowngassi.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Careful when you talk about a legend of the game. He even managed to beat a tired Big 2 member at WTF, which is maybe harder than beating peak Sampras.

Mugpras on the other hand won his 14 slams in a mug undeveloped era, in which his biggest "rival" was Clowngassi.
I thought you would like Agassi considering his style of play is a slightly more aggressive version of Djokovic’s and he returns well like Djokovic does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts