Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haarhuis as a pro-player played 250 tournaments and won only once (Jakarta 1995).
In the "Tour of Champions": 11 tournaments, 4 titles (including 3 Masters) :worship:

His three Masters triumphs in a row in The Royal Albert Hall:

The Champions Masters, London 2005

RR Jeremy Bates 6-2 6-7(17) [14-16] - 10 mp's
RR Thomas Muster 3-6 6-2 [10-2]
Q Pat Cash 3-6 6-3 [10-6]
S Sergi Bruguera 6-1 6-4
W Jim Courier 6-3 7-6(2)

Merril Lynch Tour of Champions, London 2006

RR Carl-Uwe Steeb 3-6 6-2 [10-2]
RR Goran Ivanisevic 6-7(9) 7-5 [8-10]
Q Sergi Bruguera 6-0 6-4
S Marcelo Rios 6-7(4) 6-4 [10-5]
W Goran Ivanisevic 7-6(4) 5-7 [10-7]

BlackRock Masters Tennis, London 2007

RR Michael Stich 6-4 6-3
RR Greg Rusedski 4-6 6-1 [6-10]
Q John McEnroe 6-3 6-2
S Sergi Bruguera 6-4 6-2
W Guy Forget 6-1 6-7 [10-8]

Attachments

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Haarhuis as a pro-player played 250 tournaments and won only once (Jakarta 1995).
In the "Tour of Champions": 11 tournaments, 4 titles (including 3 Masters) :worship:

His three Masters triumphs in a row in The Royal Albert Hall:

The Champions Masters, London 2005

RR Jeremy Bates 6-2 6-7(17) [14-16] - 10 mp's
RR Thomas Muster 3-6 6-2 [10-2]
Q Pat Cash 3-6 6-3 [10-6]
S Sergi Bruguera 6-1 6-4
W Jim Courier 6-3 7-6(2)

Merril Lynch Tour of Champions, London 2006

RR Carl-Uwe Steeb 3-6 6-2 [10-2]
RR Goran Ivanisevic 6-7(9) 7-5 [8-10]
Q Sergi Bruguera 6-0 6-4
S Marcelo Rios 6-7(4) 6-4 [10-5]
W Goran Ivanisevic 7-6(4) 5-7 [10-7]

BlackRock Masters Tennis, London 2007

RR Michael Stich 6-4 6-3
RR Greg Rusedski 4-6 6-1 [6-10]
Q John McEnroe 6-3 6-2
S Sergi Bruguera 6-4 6-2
W Guy Forget 6-1 6-7 [10-8]
In all 3 years he has played Bruguera in the knockout stages and beaten him in straight sets.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not surprised. I watched his match against Stich and he is extremely fit and hitting the ball very well. The other guys who were beating him easily 15 years ago have been spending time on the couch while Haarhuis has stayed in great shape. It would be very interesting to see how he would match up against today's players. My guess is that his current level is around 200 in the world on all surfaces except clay. Incredible at an age of 41.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Yeah no better then 200, he wouldn't want to be playing qualifiers constantly at age 41.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
I'm not surprised. I watched his match against Stich and he is extremely fit and hitting the ball very well. The other guys who were beating him easily 15 years ago have been spending time on the couch while Haarhuis has stayed in great shape. It would be very interesting to see how he would match up against today's players. My guess is that his current level is around 200 in the world on all surfaces except clay. Incredible at an age of 41.
He had good records against players many top ATP players:

winning record 3-1 vs. Sampras.
2-2 vs. Bruguera.
2-0 vs. Rusedski.
3-3 vs. Becker.

He was not a 90's version of Robredo. This guy had lots of victories against players inside the top 5 and was much underrated as a singles player.

Reactions: Snowwy

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

2-2 vs. Bruguera.
2-0 vs. Rusedski.
3-3 vs. Becker.

He was not a 90's version of Robredo. This guy had lots of victories against players inside the top 5 and was much underrated as a singles player.
Paul was one of my fave players in the 90's :hearts:love to see him vs Sampras in IW before losing vs Chang :mad:
The comparison with Tommy is weird (former top 5 and Master series winner, etc.)

·
Registered
42 Posts

2-2 vs. Bruguera.
2-0 vs. Rusedski.
3-3 vs. Becker.

I don't think he was underrated. His career-high was #18 and imo he got the credit he deserved. More than anything, he was a great doubles player. Sure, he had a few good singles wins during his career, but that says more about his inconsistancy than anything. It's funny that you're mentioning those wins against Greg, who was ranked #114 and #109 at the time of those matches. :D

·
28,744 Posts

Before you go spouting off bs maybe you should check out some facts in the future.

Wins vs Top 5

Haarhius: 8 (Moya, Korda, Ivanisevic, Sampras, Sampras, Bruguera, Becker, Gilbert)
Robredo: 8 (Blake, Ljubicic, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Safin, Hewitt, Haas, Ferrero)

Robredo is still a top player so its not hard to believe that he wont get a fwe more before hes done.

Congrats to Paul for winning this event :)

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
The main thing I remember about Haarhuis was how he ploughed the ground with his service motion. He cut up the lawn at Wimbledon like no other.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
How do you pronounce that last name? :confused:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Before you go spouting off bs maybe you should check out some facts in the future.

Wins vs Top 5

Haarhius: 8 (Moya, Korda, Ivanisevic, Sampras, Sampras, Bruguera, Becker, Gilbert)
Robredo: 8 (Blake, Ljubicic, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Safin, Hewitt, Haas, Ferrero)

Robredo is still a top player so its not hard to believe that he wont get a fwe more before hes done.

I found 10 wins over top 5 opponents: 1 additional one over Ivanisevic and his big coming out match over Mcenroe at the 89 US Open. When you consider that his own ranking never exceeded 18 it seems a little more impressive than Robredo who has cracked the top ten. I still don't get the comparison between them, Robredo was a pedigreed Juniour who started on the tour very young while Haarhuis came through the US collegiate system. Robredo is a much more accomplished singles player (better W\L average, better ranking history, more tournament wins). Paul was obviously an exemplary doubles player but he had a very respectable singles career that is often overlooked.He retired from singles after the 1999 US Open once he could no longer get direct entry into most tour events(he was 33).

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Haarhuis :worship:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Still remember when Paul paired up with Zhenya in doubles.... they produced some good results! Winning the French Open mens doubles crown!

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he's lost a match every year, so if it wasnt for round robin he wouldn't never have won
Maybe that's why he won only one title as a pro-player. He was too much inconsistent :shrug: Anyway he's one of the best doubles player in history :)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Wins vs Top 5

How many of those players were in the top 5 when Boredo beat them apart from Hewitt at RG?

·
yawn
10,517 Posts
Ha-Hoose.
not quite like that ;) but I wouldn't know how to explain it phonetically because the sounds are typically Dutch.

"aa" in "Haar" sounds more or less like in "Haas"

You could compare "huis" a bit with "hussy" but more lingering (huuus)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts