Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pat Rafter hits out at tennis bad boys Bernard Tomic and Nick Kyrgios - claiming the country needs to develop stars that 'Australia can be proud of'

Pat Rafter has return served in support of Tennis Australia after Bernard Tomic launched a scathing tirade against senior officials saying they 'neglected' him.

The 22-year-old's behaviour was labelled 'disrespectful' and 'unacceptable' by president Steve Healy and TA chief Craig Tiley.
Former Cup Captain Pat Rafter said Tennis Australia have discontinued their support for Tomic 'until there is some reconciliation going on' and are instead turning their attention to developing players 'Australia can be proud of.'

Rafter told The Daily Telegraph that the game about a desire to perform and consequently hopes to eliminate the sense of entitlement present among players such as Tomic and Nick Kyrgios.
'My big philosophy is trying to take away that sense of entitlement and make young players hungry,' he said.
Tomic was axed from the Davis Cup quarter final against Kazakhstan on July 17 following his verbal attack on tennis officials.
'His behaviour was unacceptable,' Healy said on Saturday.

'Playing for our country is an absolute privilege, and with that privilege comes an obligation to behave appropriately. He didn't.'
During Tomic's 10-minute attack, the disgraced tennis player accused the governing body of abandoning him after he underwent double hip surgery last year.

'All of a sudden they are neglecting me for some reason. They are not supporting me, not respecting me,' the 22-year-old said after his third-round defeat at Wimbledon by Novak Djokovic.
'There has been no respect, I think, towards me... it's been very difficult for me the last year or so in the Tennis Australia group.'

He also said Rafter, who is now Tennis Australia's director of player performance, was merely a 'mask' for Tiley and that he had no idea how to control the budget for player funding.
'He [Rafter] doesn't know what he's doing,' Tomic said.
'They are giving him a budget. He doesn't know what he's doing. What's his job? Deal with it, Pat. You're the mask.
He called for an investigation into Tennis Australia following its decision to pull funding from his family, including sister, Sara, because of their father's behaviour

Kyrgios fired back at Rafter on twitter, but deleted the tweet immediately.

Nicholas Kyrgios @NickKyrgios Another negative comment out of Rafters mouth. Does this guy ever stop? #everyoneisaworkinprogress

Do you all side with Rafter or think he's being too harsh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3157400/Pat-Rafter-hits-tennis-bad-boys-Bernard-Tomic-Nick-Kyrgios-claiming-country-needs-develop-stars-Australia-proud-of.html

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I mean, he doesn't sound as much of a nationalist conservative mess like Dawn, but he sounds like a patriotic mess...he shouldn't have been like "blah blah blah it's a pleasure to play for this country" He should have simply just said, "We expect him to act with maturity and carry himself in a certain manner, he is not." Dismissed. No over-patriotic mess, just unacceptable behavior. Done.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Once Australia has a player with an Anglo surname and aussie battler characteristics he will be loved.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
We'll see who ends their career with more majors. :worship:

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Rafter is a legend, and Kyrios and Thugic are both disgraceful, overrated, and overhyped. Neither brats will ever touch a slam.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The Davis Cup teams has always struck me as a bit of Boys Club, so not totally surprised by this.
In fact, latest news is that the rift is close to irreconcilable:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/a/28766827/tomic-rift-may-be-irreconcilable-rafter/

I would just hope TA now try to mentor these players, instead of just shafting them.
From the above article:
Rafter said he wanted to change the culture within Australia's tennis ranks.
"My big philosophy is trying to take away that sense of entitlement and make young players hungry (to succeed)," he said.
"I hope that, in time, the Tomics (Bernard and father John) would see what we're trying to achieve in terms of helping the culture within our sport."
Sounds clear that Rafter wants to mentor and support players who work for it rather than just expect it. The odds of Bernie and John helping change Aussie tennis' culture of entitlement is worse than that of a tiger changing its stripes.

Rafter with Tomics >> :banghead:

·
Registered
6,491 Posts

I think people here think of Rafter as a good guy, and a great champion, and that clouds peoples judgement. Rafters title at Tennis Australia is Director of Performance. I'm still wondering what the fuck his job is, besides talking smack at the most inopportune times.

I'm glad Nick is siding with Bernard. What exactly has BERNARD done? He got a speeding ticket and went clubbing. I'm just confused as to where all this outrage and hate comes for him. Tennis Australia has an unhealthy monopoly on the media in Australia - with Todd Woodbridge controlling the main Free-to-Air channel, and Wally Masur controlling the PayTV channel. I believe that Tennis Australia resents the fact that John Tomic could coach his son to the main tour with none of their help, and Tennis Australia couldn't acheive that themselves for almost 10 years.

I was always indifferent to Tomic, but I liked Philippoussis and Dokic and feel they were scapegoated by Tennis Australia. I don't understand this at all.

If you have an open mind, you can watch a 45 minute doco-TV episode of an Australian program called 4 Corners which called out Tennis Australia and it's failings - includes interviews with Hewitt, Tiley and Woodbridge. Funniest moment was Woodbridge not being able to mention barely ANY Aussie juniors, despite being in charge of them :lol: That sealed the deal for me...

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20100301/tennis/
Just hit the play button on Hewitt's picture in the left column, hopefully it's available worldwide

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Rafter is simply a big man, and he shits on little men. Tomic and Kyrgios are simply entitled brats unworthy of representing Australia. Simple as that - no overanalysing is necessary.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Before Wimbledon I had little to zero opinion about Tennis Australia. After Wimbledon a tiny part of me can't help but think they would prefer only blonde haired blue eyed Australians playing for them.

·
Premium Member
96,462 Posts
Tomic has a point - Rafter is a puppet for TA and nobody knows what his role is other than knowing he is getting paid a lot of money doing it.

Reactions: Dmitry Verdasco

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Once Australia has a player with an Anglo surname and aussie battler characteristics he will be loved.
Yep, I mean they all adored that bogan Hewitt.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I hate that people think Australians are racist. There are racists everywhere, but Australia is probably the best example of a multicultural country, and although there has been problems it's mostly good. People born 60 years ago are a different generation and just won't get it - that happens everywhere.

We're like a patchwork quilt, little pieces from everywhere :hearts:

Guccione/Dellacqua - Italy
Stosur/Molik/Luczak - Poland
Philippoussis/Kokkinakis/Kyrgios - Greece (and Malaysia)
Tomic/Tomljanovic - Croatia (Germany? :lol)
Dokic - Serbia
Rodionova/Gavrilova - Russia
Ilie - Romania

1 - 20 of 62 Posts