Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would let you know that Pat Rafter has sent in a fax to Channel 7 announcing his official retirement.

No more news as I didn't hear too much more of what else they said.. except that it is now official.

Craig :)

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
Thanks Craig :) Yeah I read it on BBC text :sad: Sad but not suprising :sad: Good Luck Pat with everything you do in the future :kiss:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2644445.stm

Thursday, 9 January, 2003, 23:50 GMT
Rafter announces retirement

Rafter said he no longer felt motivated to play

Australian Pat Rafter has retired from professional tennis at the age of 30.
The two-time US Open winner and former world number one announced on Thursday he was bowing out of the sport.

Rafter has not played since the Davis Cup final in 2001, when Australia were narrowly beaten by France.

But he had hinted he was planning a return to the ATP tour after recovering from an arm injury.

However, on Thursday he told the media in an open letter he no longer felt the motivation to compete at the highest level.

He said: "I know it's been a while coming, but I am announcing my official retirement from professional tennis.

"After taking several months for my arm to recover from stress fracture injuries I sustained in late 2001, I wanted to make sure that besides gaining physical fitness, I still had the motivation to compete.

"If I couldn't commit to giving 100% to the game, then there would be no point in returning. By the end of 2002, the motivation just wasn't there and my decision was made."

Rafter won the US Open in 1997 and 1998 but was twice a losing finalist at Wimbledon in 2000 and again in 2001.

Looking back at his Wimbledon defeats, he added: "That's sport, you win some and you lose some.

"However, I feel I can leave the game, satisfied with my achievements, knowing that I gave it my all."

He said he would focus his attentions on his partner, Lara Feltham, and their first child, who was born in August last year.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
omg ........ wow
finally he puts everyone out of their misery.

BTW ...... I'm holding a Press Conference soon too
gonna make an annoucement on my future ;)
the world's been waiting for 31 yrs to hear it ;)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
bye Pat...

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
bye Pat. we will miss you so much. :sad: :sad: :( you were great to the game and one of the classiest competitors around. have a great life as a father and husband. :)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
he's not married as far as i know so we can only congratulate him as a father...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you for all the great memories of seeing you play and all the people I've met thanks to you Pat. I will miss you very much. You will always be my no.1! :)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Even though my hope was little he'll ever come back it's still sad to see him go like this.

Anyways Pat it was great fun watching you. Your serve and volley will be missed just as well as your character.

Wish you all the best whatever you'll be doing in the future.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ABC Sport tennis

Hewitt pays tribute to retiring Rafter

World tennis number one Lleyton Hewitt says he was urging Pat Rafter just days ago to ready himself for the Davis Cup this year.

Instead, Rafter has announced his retirement from tennis.

Hewitt has paid tribute to the popular retired champion as the man who inspired his own passion for tennis.

"He's still hitting the ball well enough to chop up a lot of guys on the tour," Hewitt said.

"I thought this year would be fantastic, even if he just came back and played doubles.

"If we won the Davis Cup this year it would be more disappointing if Pat wasn't there to celebrate it with us.

"If he was hitting in December and January and into February I don't see any reason why we couldn't have had him in the four-man squad, and depending on what happened on day one, maybe throwing him into doubles."

It was Davis Cup that first brought the pair together when a 16-year-old Hewitt was invited to be an 'orange boy' with the Australian team for the tie against France at Sydney's White City courts in 1997.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Aww .. I still had a little bit of hope :sad:

Bye Pat and thanks for everything :kiss:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Have a nice life, Pat! We'll miss you.:(

·
Registered
496 Posts