Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
No. That's just a common MTF delusion.
True. I've noticed it too. I tried to make sense of it in my earlier post - to explain the genesis of it, and I hope I got it at least partially right.
I think we're at the tail-end of that story, and the backlash coming out of the disillusionment is only to be expected.
If only we can keep it civil and polite.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
True. I've noticed it too. I tried to make sense of it in my earlier post - to explain the genesis of it, and I hope I got it at least partially right.
I think we're at the tail-end of that story, and the backlash coming out of the disillusionment is only to be expected.
If only we can keep it civil and polite.
You need to keep in mind at all times that what we deal with here in MTF is a C-U-L-T., FedFuckingCult. No amount of reasoning can fix that, it's all utterly irrational.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
You need to keep in mind at all times that what we deal with here in MTF is a C-U-L-T., FedFuckingCult. No amount of reasoning can fix that, it's all utterly irrational.
I somewhat get it. Trying to fully understand it still.
It's just the sport, after all!? Isn't it!? Two guys hitting the ball, trying to outplay each other and us enjoying the show...
Just a game.
So, all the toxicity, anger, viciousness, etc looks completely out of place.
But, it's just the sign of the times I suppose. Look at what's going on outside around us, at this very moment.
I'm stupified.
How the heck did we get here?

Reactions: Bakano

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I had to put someone on "Ignore". It's just too much. No need to endure harassment and toxicity done by the people whose only contribution is insults and confrontation.
I tried to reason, to keep the conversation polite and civil - but they wouldn't allow that.
So, I had to put them on "ignore".
I hate doing things like this - as I believe in dialogue, but at a certain point we need to draw a line.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I had to put someone on "Ignore". It's just too much. No need to endure harassment and toxicity done by the people whose only contribution is insults and confrontation.
I tried to reason, to keep the conversation polite and civil - but they wouldn't allow that.
So, I had to put them on "ignore".
I hate doing things like this - as I believe in dialogue, but at a certain point we need to draw a line.
I suggest you rethink over this again once you cool off, otherwise you're bound to put most of MTF on ignore, including most of the staff. This is a heavily FedCult-infested place.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I suggest you rethink over this again once you cool off, otherwise you're bound to put most of MTF on ignore, including most of the staff. This is a heavily FedCult-infested place.
I get it - but I'm not a big fan of people that only contribute by insulting others.
I could forgive an outburst here and there, if the person actually has something of value to say and is at least just a bit interesting - but when that's missing and the person continues to offend and insult others - I see no point in indulging that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I get the tongue-in-cheek hyperbole your post is soaked in...
It wasn't tongue-in-cheek and it certainly wasn't hyperbole.

Federer is massively adored and admired. Federer is regarded as being the best player ever by most people. It's only on here, where rabid supporters of Nadal and Djokovic seemingly can't live with the fact that he has won more Grand Slams than the player that they favour, that somehow this is bizarrely ignored.

I could perhaps understand it if it was going to be the case for the rest of time. But Nadal and Djokovic even have a good chance of going past Federer, and then they will have a very legitimate claim to be the best of all-time. I know we live in the social media age, where people have no attention span, but you'd think it would be possible for people to wait for this to happen, instead of sitting on an Internet forum all day, concocting increasingly absurd and intricate reasons why a player with 17 Grand Slam titles is regarded as better than a player with 20 Grand Slam titles. And even that Federer, almost universally admired as a role model, is even somehow a bad person!

I was going to say that if the Tennis Channel made one of their best of all-time programmes there is no way that they would rank Djokovic ahead of Federer or Nadal. However, I don't have to ruminate on this possibility, as they did this very recently and Federer was still ranked number 1, and Nadal was ranked number 2. In order for this to change, Djokovic is going to have to catch up with Nadal, and Nadal is probably going to have to go past Federer, as he's won too many of his Grand Slams at the French Open. In a sense, I do think Djokovic is fortunate to be playing at a time when Federer is still the second best player in the world on everything other than clay when nearly 40, but if he goes past his titles then I'm sure he will generally be regarded as the best.

However, it won't change until then, and Federer will be rated as the best in the eyes of the vast majority of people while he has more titles, and certainly in the eyes of most objective and credible judges, such as the Tennis Channel. It would amaze me if people were unaware of this reality. But if you are unaware of it then it won't stop it being reality.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It wasn't tongue-in-cheek and it certainly wasn't hyperbole.

Federer is massively adored and admired. Federer is regarded as being the best player ever by most people. It's only on here, where rabid supporters of Nadal and Djokovic seemingly can't live with the fact that he has won more Grand Slams than the player that they favour, that somehow this is bizarrely ignored.

I could perhaps understand it if it was going to be the case for the rest of time. But Nadal and Djokovic even have a good chance of going past Federer, and then they will have a very legitimate claim to be the best of all-time. I know we live in the social media age, where people have no attention span, but you'd think it would be possible for people to wait for this to happen, instead of sitting on an Internet forum all day, concocting increasingly absurd and intricate reasons why a player with 17 Grand Slam titles is regarded as better than a player with 20 Grand Slam titles. And even that Federer, almost universally admired as a role model, is even somehow a bad person!

I was going to say that if the Tennis Channel made one of their best of all-time programmes there is no way that they would rank Djokovic ahead of Federer or Nadal. However, I don't have to ruminate on this possibility, as they did this very recently and Federer was still ranked number 1, and Nadal was ranked number 2. In order for this to change, Djokovic is going to have to catch up with Nadal, and Nadal is probably going to have to go past Federer, as he's won too many of his Grand Slams at the French Open. In a sense, I do think Djokovic is fortunate to be playing at a time when Federer is still the second best player in the world on everything other than clay when nearly 40, but if he goes past his titles then I'm sure he will generally be regarded as the best.

However, it won't change until then, and Federer will be rated as the best in the eyes of the vast majority of people while he has more titles, and certainly in the eyes of most objective and credible judges, such as the Tennis Channel. It would amaze me if people were unaware of this reality. But if you are unaware of it then it won't stop it being reality.
LoL what a pile of tardic BS.

·
6,325 Posts
Steve Fink: "Who is the best player, not just on record but on ability?"
Pat Cash: "𝐃𝐣𝐨𝐤𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐜, he's a freak, he beats other 2 on their best surfaces. Hard to go passed the reality of head to head wins. At his best he's unstoppable."

I've met Pat. Great guy.
Played one set singles with my daughter and then paired with her for a full doubles match. She was barely 13.

Awesome day.
Pat knows his stuff.
Pat is a great 👍 guy, and he knows his tennis 🎾!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Pat Cash never struck me as a possible Nobel Prize winner, to be fair. Can't really get the words out properly when he's doing commentary, not sure why they chose him.
We could only imagine what ‘prize’ Fraud’ s BFF, the brainiac Nick the Aussie hunchback qualifies for.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts