Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Re: Pascal Maria : "I'd have stopped the 2008 Wimby final at 8-8, but Rafa won before

When you are putting the quote in the title of the thread, it is not a good idea to mis-quote

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Re: Pascal Maria : "I'd have stopped the 2008 Wimby final at 8-8, but Rafa won before

Rafa won before? :lol:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Rafa won before? :lol:
7-6 > 7-7 > 7-8 > 7-9

·
Registered
19,156 Posts

Oh, before 8-8? Now i got it. The title is a bit... misleading

·
Registered
444 Posts

Article lost credibility with the amount of errors

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

When you are putting the quote in the title of the thread, it is not a good idea to mis-quote
Every idiot on this website misquotes people yet still uses literal " quote marks

Even the retard who wrote the article misquoted in the title

·
23,063 Posts

Wonder why they would stop play if they have lights anyway, unless the light inside CC is just not enough, therefore they need to continue it next time?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Probably my second favourite Nadal's title. Epic match.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

He gave the signal for two more games at 6-6 and 7-7 if I recall correctly. It's good that one way or another it didn't end on perhaps a slightly anti-climactic Monday afternoon.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

Wonder why they would stop play if they have lights anyway, unless the light inside CC is just not enough, therefore they need to continue it next time?
In 2008 they didn't have the closed roof yet on CC, so matches there too were suspended due to darkness around 9:20 pm London time. It wasn't until around 2011 or so they added the closed roof on CC with lights so they can play in darkness/when it rains. In truth, since they had no closable roof then the match was delayed for some hours because of rain, had the roof been able to be closed, they would've played uninterrupted and finished before it was dark. Also, even with the roof closed/lights, they don't play past 11 pm because of a "curfew" at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

My mistake, the closeable roof started in 2009. I believe they immediately added it after what happened in 2008, might've happened anyway, but 2008 was a great reason to prove what was already known, it was needed.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

This was a legendary match even by the highest standards. I still remember feeling sick to my stomach at multiple points during the match, because I didn't really have a rooting interest for either side but quickly found myself sympathizing with both men as they battled into the darkness.

I felt gutted for Nadal after that 4th set, because I was certain Federer was going to win after pulling through in that breaker. But then when they got to 7-7 in the 5th and light was fading, you just knew there was no way this match was going to be finished on Monday. Someone was going to win, and after Fed fought as hard as he could in that final game and came up short, I found myself equally devastated for the Maestro.

I think the greatness of this match gets overlooked because of what happened in their rivalry after that. Federer never beat Nadal in a GS again, despite many great chances to do so. The 1/13 break points in the Wimby 08 final became a sign of things to come in their future GS matches, where the Swiss always seemed to have the upper hand until some confusing mental implosion.

Wimby 08, AO 2009, RG 2011, and AO 2012 are four matches where Federer is going to look back and be very disappointed he didn't win them. He had great chances every single time, but mental midgetry and horrible tactics and poor shot selection at key moments got the better of him. Had he won just 1 of the first 3 matches I listed, he'd be sitting on 18 slams right now to Nadal's 13, and his slam record would be basically written in stone.

But since that didn't happen, Nadal might very well catch him. The haters will come up with a million reasons why he won't, but they're the same ones who'll be biting their fingernails two years from now when Nadal is sitting on 16 and cruising through his draw.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

My mistake, the closeable roof started in 2009. I believe they immediately added it after what happened in 2008, might've happened anyway, but 2008 was a great reason to prove what was already known, it was needed.
It was already in preparation well before 2008. Look at the stadium in 2007, for example. The original roof was removed after the 2006 championships.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts

It's amazing how every big match of Dull seems to be always umpired by Pascal Maria.

Is Dull/Uncle Toni/Pascal Maria the Juventus/Calciopoli's version of tennis? :mad:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

they played in the dark literally. i've been wondering all these years how the officials could allow such thing?

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

It's amazing how every big match of Dull seems to be always umpired by Pascal Maria.

Is Dull/Uncle Toni/Pascal Maria the Juventus/Calciopoli's version of tennis? :mad:
yeah I'm sure if it came to 8-8 then Mobria would have said he'd stop it at 9-9.

and if it came to 9-9, then he would have said at 10-10

you just can't beat these mobsters

·
Registered
13,864 Posts

they played in the dark literally. i've been wondering all these years how the officials could allow such thing?
Nadal had to win, mate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts