Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shame Kei couldn't do this last week :eek:

Anderson still was quite successful off the serve, over 70% of his pts won were based on aces/unreturnables. But his return profile and baseline game was arguably a lot worse, Kei winning a lot of pts on his own serve being unreturned, even second serves, and soaking up anything Kevin threw at him, which wasn't much as Kevin was being the one tossed side to side by Kei's FH in particular. The two breaks were garnered at the start (set one) and end (set two) with some good shots forcing errors/winners, although Kei couldn't read the Anderson serve well in the match, it was enough.

Unfortunately Kei's road probably ends here, hard to see Federer serving as poorly as he did today, and he'll get tight playing the Maestro. Still the tennis from Kei today was sublime and I'm pleased that Kei will very likely be fronting in London!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Good to see the old samurai gaining some form.Of course he has to bow down now before his true master, but i'm looking forward what he can do at THE WTF.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
When Nishikori is on, it's a pleasure to watch. If he repeats it tomorrow, Roger will be in a huge trouble.

·
52,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I did see Kei winning this, his game is totally on point since USO and he just gets mega tight/nervous in big matches. PRetty much not much at stake here for big KEv, while vastly improved, he's a generally inferior player, so it was obvious Kei was going to win this. In fact I would bet KEi to win all of his R16 matches against any top opponents (bar slams and Djokovic). He does great when there's no pressure. Great to see Kei score another top 10 and further cement his spot in the WTFs, he can be a really dangerous darkhorse given how well he's played lately. Hopefully he's not too tired and his motivation must be sky high. What a great late season surge and to do this while enduring a terrible tennis injury. Well done. I don't think he gets enough credit for fighting as hard as he did and getting his game back to a level we can all enjoy and marvel at. As for Kevin, see you in London!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

·
52,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed it too, very sharp volleys. I also take it as a sign that he might be trying to shorten points and is probably tired from all the tennis. I hope he can keep going against Roger. But against Novak...oh boy.
it's actually a neat strategy and even more amazing considering he doesn't have the big serve behind it, he just senses the opponent stretched or in a compromised position (this looked like a second body serve actually). Towards the end of the Mannarino match he was almost looking to serve volley every point! But what it does show is Kei trusts himself a lot at the net, with very instinctual movement and coverage, would maybe lose 1 in every 5 net pts in general which is a good statistic, and this stat doesn't even tend to dip substantially against the big guys (though lacking in other areas, sadly). He's had a lot of tennis but fatigue, I cannot see just yet. Hopefully he steps up for the occasion against Roger.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
The best I've seen Nishikori look in a while. Why do I get the feeling this form will be nowhere to be found vs Rogie tomorrow though....

·
9,932 Posts
I wouldn't take to much from this , even though KEI seemingly played well, it's nothing new coming off a title to lose to the first good opponent the next week.

·
Tsonga,Djokovic
1,982 Posts
Wow, I thought Nishikori would have lost this one. Happy to see that he gets back to good form step by step this year.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
No surprise here, Kandy peaked in the Vienna final and spent more resources there. That was well worth it ofc because the winner of this match was never gonna get past the SF here, at most. To think that some people here thought Anderson has a chance to win the whole thing...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Only watched from the middle of the 2nd set, but liked what I saw. Nishikori was firing from all cylinders. Was great to watch how he was moving big Kev around, who didn't seem to have any answer to Nishikoris aggressive tennis. Deserved win and nice to get instant revenge for that Vienna final ;).

I hope he can keep it up and we get a nice competitive match with Fed.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No surprise here, Kandy peaked in the Vienna final and spent more resources there. That was well worth it ofc because the winner of this match was never gonna get past the SF here, at most. To think that some people here thought Anderson has a chance to win the whole thing...
Nothing to do with Anderson who is a vastly inferior player. Nishikori just can't play in finals, same thing happened in Tokyo against Medvedev. With the pressure off, Nishikori routined Anderson.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts