Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comfortable win for Coric :cool:

First serve remains potent, was only really troubled in one service game. Medvedev was frustrated, smashing his racquet as a DF cost him the first set.

Thiem up next, could be a cracker :lick:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scoreline suggests a closer match than what it really was. Only 1 UE for Coric in the first set, and that was with aggressive play.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Coric played calm and steady match with few UEs and controlled agression. He is always focused and aware, this is impressive.

Medvedev clearly didn't want to be there - he was frustrated, playing reckless, going for the winners without too much preparation which resulted in handful of UEs. Daniil with his style of play looks mighty awesome when he is playing good, but looks like an idiot when he is playing bad.

Boring match.

With Delpo out and Nadal doubtful - Coric could end up as the 1st alternate in London, who would have thought ? Impressive player, haters don't have a clue.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
With Delpo out and Nadal doubtful - Coric could end up as the 1st alternate in London, who would have thought? Impressive player, haters don't have a clue.
Also, he could end up carrying his country to the last Davis Cup title in this format.
A very good season for Borna. Better than expected. Coric said that he'd like to end up in TOP20 at the end of this season,but that he's not focused on numbers, but progress in his game. And there was a lot of progress this season.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boring match.
I wouldn't go quite that far but agree that the outcome felt inevitable pretty much from the start. Fourth match these two have played this year and, aside from the Wimbledon anomaly, Coric hasn't dropped a set.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, he could end up carrying his country to the last Davis Cup title in this format.
I hope it doesn't come to that, though - I'd prefer the whole Croatian team, especially Cilic, to pull its weight and not put Coric under any more pressure :angel:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Scoreline suggests a closer match than what it really was.
+1

med had no answers for coric 2.0 and appeared frustrated and confused. bornagain has really tightened up his game and is playing at a very high level. i expect this h2h to become more lobsided moving forward.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
He retired midmatch last week against Kevin Anderson. Is he ok now?
He retired because of blisters, but he had some hip or thigh isuess before that. I think his body needs this season to end, but of course he's playing as much as he can since he's in good form and Djokovic is the only player that's unbeatable for him at this moment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1

med had no answers for coric 2.0 and appeared frustrated and confused. bornagain has really tightened up his game and is playing at a very high level. i expect this h2h to become more lobsided moving forward.
Is that realistic? Coric is 4:1 against Medvedev, meaning an 80% win-rate. I'd think it can only go down lopsided-wise.

It's odd how Medvedev seemed so frustrated and 'lost' against Coric today when he just recently schooled Nishikori in front of his home crowd in the Tokyo finals. And Nishikori is at least as good as Coric.

I think Medvedev will bring the H2H much closer in the future. Like all things, time will tell.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I like both players, but somehow I wasn't even aware of the lopsided h2h? It will be interesting to see what happens on down the road for sure.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Medvedev was pretty flat - both physically and mentally. Especially lackluster on return, which is a big problem for him, since his own serve is not consistent enough to guarantee him a hold against someone as solid from the baseline as Coric. Borna, otoh, was serving like a madman again, so the result felt NID just a few games into the match. Probably for the best. Medvedev is really tired. Deserves a good rest after his great season.

Thiem is up next for Coric. Out of three times they played Thiem won twice on clay and Coric won on hard. I didn't watch Domi yesterday, but the score is slightly perplexing. I reckon, the court is slow enough for his clay strategy to work out semi decently here. Should be an interesting match.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that realistic? Coric is 4:1 against Medvedev, meaning an 80% win-rate. I'd think it can only go down lopsided-wise.

It's odd how Medvedev seemed so frustrated and 'lost' against Coric today when he just recently schooled Nishikori in front of his home crowd in the Tokyo finals. And Nishikori is at least as good as Coric.

I think Medvedev will bring the H2H much closer in the future. Like all things, time will tell.
As things currently stand, I don't see this particular H2H tilting in Medvedev's favour any time soon. The only surface the Russian can claim to be better on is grass - but I earlier called the Wimbledon result an 'anomaly' because Coric was uncharacteristically dreadful that day, while Medvedev was himself ordinary at best but took full advantage of the opportunity, as he should do.

I also don't think the Nishikori comparison works well - especially based on one match - even if Coric seems a similar type player on the surface. Someone like @MWW can better describe the differences between the two but, for me, I'd say the biggest one right now is the serve. That part of Coric's game is really clicking so well at the moment and the confidence is evident in the other parts of his game.

Medvedev, OTOH, is not currently getting the most out of his serve and DFs have featured prominently in most of his recent matches. That and general fitness are two key areas he should work on for next year. Against Coric, he'd also have to rethink his approach completely as he won't beat the Croat at his own game.

There was one point in the second set which Medvedev won with a blistering CC FH winner on the run. He seemingly hit it out of frustration :lol: but that's probably what he needs to do more of, though it's easier said than done... But Coric has shown it's possible to successfully evolve one's game style in a relatively short time so, if Medvedev can do something similar, the matchup may yet become more competitive.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
As things currently stand, I don't see this particular H2H tilting in Medvedev's favour any time soon. The only surface the Russian can claim to be better on is grass - but I earlier called the Wimbledon result an 'anomaly' because Coric was uncharacteristically dreadful that day, while Medvedev was himself ordinary at best but took full advantage of the opportunity, as he should do.

I also don't think the Nishikori comparison works well - especially based on one match - even if Coric seems a similar type player on the surface. Someone like @MWW can better describe the differences between the two but, for me, I'd say the biggest one right now is the serve. That part of Coric's game is really clicking so well at the moment and the confidence is evident in the other parts of his game.

Medvedev, OTOH, is not currently getting the most out of his serve and DFs have featured prominently in most of his recent matches. That and general fitness are two key areas he should work on for next year. Against Coric, he'd also have to rethink his approach completely as he won't beat the Croat at his own game.

There was one point in the second set which Medvedev won with a blistering CC FH winner on the run. He seemingly hit it out of frustration :lol: but that's probably what he needs to do more of, though it's easier said than done... But Coric has shown it's possible to successfully evolve one's game style in a relatively short time so, if Medvedev can do something similar, the matchup may yet become more competitive.
I haven't exactly watched much of Coric that much, but I can glean over some details.

Coric has developed quite a good serve indeed. The most solid aspect of his game is his constancy. Just being fairly well rounded, solid BH, FH is not as good but he's stabilised it in general and can still hit winners with it. He's a decent athlete, covers ground well, and he is fairly straightforward in terms of his gameplan. He also is rather resilient mentally, not exactly an easy player to put away; he works for every point and can be a nuisance to play because of that. He's learning to be more aggressive when he can which has seen rewards, though in some cases he can be overpowered because his game doesn't have that much variety or force to stop consistent attackers. Haven't seen enough to talk about ROS but I think it's improved too. Kei is a very different animal (though the Medvedev match he lost was likewise a case of Kei being very poor), whose point construction is based on accurate timing and shot placement right on the baseline. Kei will typically produce more errors and won't be as patient as Coric, but can also create a lot of baseline chances from seemingly little, and tends to use the net when he has the chance, with a good success rate, perhaps one of his most underrated assets. Thus Kei is a more naturally aggressive player who can surprise you on the tick of the clock though his serve weakness is big letdown whenever he faces the best players who can take advantage of it more frequently. I do think Coric will keep improving and will have chances given his age and the inevitable slowing down of the top players. It's a shame Kei's period of excellence was overshadowed by the dominance of the big 4 and Wawrinka. He's a better player than the stats might indicate, though I am aware of his limitations.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thiem is up next for Coric. Out of three times they played Thiem won twice on clay and Coric won on hard. I didn't watch Domi yesterday, but the score is slightly perplexing. I reckon, the court is slow enough for his clay strategy to work out semi decently here. Should be an interesting match.
Followed most of it on livescore and watched the last few games: Thiem was totally dominant. As someone else stated in the match thread, he should have won it 6-2 6-0. Didn't imagine Simon getting a beatdown like that beforehand :eek:

If this version of the Austrian shows up today, Coric will have a tough time of it :unsure: He did have his chances in Madrid, where neither player was at his very best. Hope we get a good match here now both have improved since then.

About the Paris surface: while it may be faster than Vienna, to me the bounce looks high so balls are sitting up well to be hit. Last night Coric was trying to slice Medvedev to somewhat limited effect.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kei is a very different animal (though the Medvedev match he lost was likewise a case of Kei being very poor), whose point construction is based on accurate timing and shot placement right on the baseline. Kei will typically produce more errors and won't be as patient as Coric, but can also create a lot of baseline chances from seemingly little, and tends to use the net when he has the chance, with a good success rate, perhaps one of his most underrated assets. Thus Kei is a more naturally aggressive player who can surprise you on the tick of the clock though his serve weakness is big letdown whenever he faces the best players who can take advantage of it more frequently.
Technical analysis is not my forte so thanks for doing it for me :yeah: This is an excellent summation of Nishikori's game and, while I don't follow him closely, his shotmaking is a pleasure to watch when he's on.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
About the Paris surface: while it may be faster than Vienna, to me the bounce looks high so balls are sitting up well to be hit. Last night Coric was trying to slice Medvedev to somewhat limited effect.
It's really hard to tell with these nausea inducing camera angles.
Anyway, Medvedev is almost 2m tall, he's naturally vulnerable to slice, besides, he was just bad. Coric looked determined and I have no doubt he'll fight with everything he got. Two moments that concern me, which potentially can ruin today's match are: that retirement a week ago against Anderson - I don't believe he would retire because of insignificant blisters and more serious issue just doesn't go away in such a short period of time; and of course, Thiem - who's the epitome of inconsistency outside of clay.
Bottom like, as per usual, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's really hard to tell with these nausea inducing camera angles.
Anyway, Medvedev is almost 2m tall, he's naturally vulnerable to slice, besides, he was just bad. Coric looked determined and I have no doubt he'll fight with everything he got.
Yeah, I'm possibly seeing things or projecting based on watching last week's tourneys :shrug:

Two moments that concern me, which potentially can ruin today's match are: that retirement a week ago against Anderson - I don't believe he would retire because of insignificant blisters and more serious issue just doesn't go away in such a short period of time; and of course, Thiem - who's the epitome of inconsistency outside of clay.
I don't think the foot blisters were the sole ;) reason for Coric's retirement, more of a last straw on top of other niggling issues. It is rather concerning how many physical problems he has been plagued with this year, even as he's risen up the rankings.

While it's highly tricky and subjective as a fan to judge these things based purely on viewing matches and news reports, I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with Coric right now from a physical standpoint. I got the sense he was carrying something during the clay season but not now, at least not anything that would inhibit him significantly.

Thiem... I'd have thought the Vienna surface was tailor made for him - it was definitely slow, yet he struggled there (as usual to be fair). Paris is meant to be quicker but he feasted on a tough competitor in Simon - so I genuinely don't know what to expect from him now :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts