Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
158,665 Posts
Re: Paris Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated October 26, 2016)

No, thats not the rule - although I agree that regulation 7.10.A.1 is somewhat misleading:

As I read it, and I am sure others do to, is that to be eligible for SE, 2 criteria need to have been met:
1) Accepted into the tournaments qualifying draw and;
2) Playing in another tournament on the day qualifying begins.

Now, because a player doesnt appear on the qualifying Advanced Entry Acceptance List, doesnt mean he isnt in the qualifying draw! Other ways into the qualifying draw are as a Wild Card or Alternate. So, it could be argued that the tournament considered giving a player a WC - that would make him eligible to be an SE.

Essentially the rule is:

"A player is eligible to receive a special exempt into the singles main draw of the following week’s tournament, subject to the provisions of this section, if he is unable to compete in that qualifying competition because he is still competing on the date the qualifying competition begins in another qualified event, and his current ranking as of the date of the entry deadline would not have otherwise qualified him as a direct acceptance on the original acceptance list if he had entered. In addition, a player who is still playing a match at 9 p.m. local time at the qualifying site, is eligible to receive a special exempt only if he wins that match."

There is precedence for this. The following examples are players who accepted SE without signing up that that events qualifying:

Olivo - Umag
Opelka - Los Cabos
Thanks. Quite complicated...

·
Registered
10,072 Posts

·
2,907 Posts
Re: Paris Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated October 28, 2016)

Zverev won about 2.5 hours ago... and the draw is still showing 7 Qualifier/Special Exempt spots.

He had 1 hour after his win against Wawrinka to confirm he wanted the spot, so I am not too sure what is going on :shrug:

The last time we had this situation was Cincinnati 2015 with Gulbis. Looking back through previous threads, when Gulbis lost the vacant spot in the draw was filled in approximately 30 minutes.

·
2,907 Posts
Re: Paris Qualifying Entry List (updated October 27, 2016)

Will he take the SE spot?
:shrug:

Tomorrow will be his 4th match in 4 days (6th since last saturday), and lets not rule out a final. If he accepts the SE, he will have to play on Monday or Tuesday...

He might want a rest, but we will have to wait and see

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Re: Paris Qualifying Entry List (updated October 27, 2016)

:shrug:

Tomorrow will be his 4th match in 4 days (6th since last saturday), and lets not rule out a final. If he accepts the SE, he will have to play on Monday or Tuesday...

He might want a rest, but we will have to wait and see
But i see Youzhny in the Q draw, doesn't it mean that Zverev accepted the SE?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts