Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Tournament Name: BNP PARIBAS MASTERS
Dates: 31 OCTOBER–6 NOVEMBER, 2016
Prize Money: €3,748,925 (Total Financial Commitment €4,300,755)
48 DRAW (Q24)

SITE: PALAIS OMNISPORTS DE PARIS-BERCY
8 BOULEVARD DE BERCY
75012 PARIS
SURFACE: Acrylic on Wood Indoor
BALL: HEAD ATP
WEB SITE: https://www.bnpparibasmasters.com/uk

Qualifying draw: Friday, October 28, 9:00 p.m.
Main draw: Friday, October 28, tba
Doubles draw: Saturday, October 29, 2:00 p.m.

ATP Ranking Points
W: 1000
F: 600
SF: 360
QF: 180
R16: 90
R32: 45 (Seeds: 10)
R64: 10 (WC: 0)
Q: +25
Q12: 16
Q24: 0

Entry deadline: September 19, 2016
Seeding: October 24, 2016

1 Djokovic, Novak SRB 1
2 Murray, Andy GBR 2
3 Wawrinka, Stan SUI 3
OUT Nadal, Rafael ESP 4
5 Nishikori, Kei JPN 5
6 Raonic, Milos CAN 6
OUT Federer, Roger SUI 7
OUT Monfils, Gael FRA 8
9 Berdych, Tomas CZE 9
10 Thiem, Dominic AUT 10
11 Cilic, Marin CRO 11
12 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 12
13 Ferrer, David ESP 13
14 Goffin, David BEL 14
OUT Kyrgios, Nick AUS 15
16 Bautista Agut, Roberto ESP 16
17 Gasquet, Richard FRA 17
18 Pouille, Lucas FRA 18
19 Cuevas, Pablo URU 19
20 Karlovic, Ivo CRO 20
21 Dimitrov, Grigor BUL 21
OUT Tomic, Bernard AUS 22
23 Johnson, Steve USA 23
24 Sock, Jack USA 24
25 Isner, John USA 25
26 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 26
OUT Zverev, Alexander GER 27
28 Simon, Gilles FRA 28
OUT Querrey, Sam USA 29
30 Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 30
31 Klizan, Martin SVK 31
32 Ramos-Vinolas, Albert ESP 32
33 Troicki, Viktor SRB 33
34 Sousa, Joao POR 34
35 Lorenzi, Paolo ITA 35
36 Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 36
37 Muller, Gilles LUX 37
38 Paire, Benoit FRA 38
39 (SE) Zverev, Mischa GER
40 (Q) HERBERT, Pierre-Hugues FRA
41 (Q) SEPPI, Andreas ITA
42 (Q) LAJOVIC, Dusan SRB
43 (Q) STRUFF, Jan-Lennard GER
44 (Q) HAASE, Robin NED
45 (Q) BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
46 (WC) Mannarino, Adrian FRA
47 (WC) Mathieu, Paul-Henri FRA
48 (WC) Robert, Stephane FRA

Alternates
IN Carreno Busta, Pablo ESP 39
OUT Tipsarevic, Janko SRB @39
IN Mahut, Nicolas FRA 40
OUT Delbonis, Federico ARG 41
OUT Coric, Borna CRO 42
IN Fognini, Fabio ITA 43
OUT Granollers, Marcel ESP 44
OUT Anderson, Kevin RSA 45
OUT Kuznetsov, Andrey RUS 46
IN Verdasco, Fernando ESP 47
OUT Monaco, Juan ARG @47
IN Almagro, Nicolas ESP 48
IN Pella, Guido ARG 49
IN Marchenko, Illya UKR 50
OUT Vesely, Jiri CZE 51
OUT Robert, Stephane FRA 52 (WC to MD)
1. Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 53
OUT Edmund, Kyle GBR 54
2. Jaziri, Malek TUN 55
3. Evans, Daniel GBR 56
4. Garcia-Lopez, Guillermo ESP 57
5. Fritz, Taylor USA 58
OUT Dolgopolov, Alexandr UKR 59
6. Mayer, Florian GER 60
OUT Elias, Gastao POR 61

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Re: Paris Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated October 4, 2016)

Probably MDWC :
Del potro
Herbert
Benneteau

Probably QWC:
Chardy
Halys
Lestienne
Millot/De Schepper?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

OUT: Federer, Querrey, Tomic
IN: Carreno Busta, Tipsarevic, Mahut

Again, could you please take a look at this post. What is Tipsarevic doing in MD here??:

Can anyone help me with the Tipsarevic case?

This is my post from US Open thread:

After missing 75 weeks in the period 28/10/2013 – 05/04/2015, Tipsarevic returned to play in Houston with WC, which marked beginning of his 12-month protected period in which he could enter a competition with his protected ranking @39 a maximum of 12 times.

He played: Houston, Bucharest, Munich, Madrid Q, Geneva, Halle Q (all with WC) and Wimbledon, Canada and US Open (those 3 with PR). US Open was his last event before 33-week long break (07/09/2015 – 24/04/2016), which allowed him to freeze his protection period. From Houston to US Open he used 22 weeks and 3 events, which means that after return to play he has 30 weeks left in which he can enter with PR a maximum of 9 times.

He returned to play in Ostrava with WC, when his protection period restarted to run. If he will not have any more break longer than 3 months (which means he will not be able to freeze it again) his protection will end in the week of 14 November, so basically it will last till the end of the season.

Since this second return he played: Ostrava, Heilbronn, Geneva (all with WC), Roland Garros (PR), Prostejov (WC), Queen's Club, Wimbledon (both with PR), Chengdu (WC), Qingdao (Q) and pulled out too late from Cincinnati (so it counts as PR used). So, in that period in total 4 times he used PR, which gives him right to enter with it 5 more times.

Moreover, he entered US Open, St Petersburg and Shenzhen with PR, which means he has 2 chances left till the end of the season. I suppose he will do it for Beijing or Tokyo and Shanghai, since he plans to go to Asia. If he will pull out from any of them before withdrawal deadline (Friday noon, Eastern American time), they won't be counted as used, so he can potentially save some for Indoor Europe. Anyway, pending he has no more 3-month injury, @39 will no longer be valid for any event in 2017 season.
As I supposed, Tipsarevic indeed used PR to get entry into both Tokyo and Shanghai, having played with protection in the USO, St Petersburg and Shenzhen, so theoretically that should be it for him. But, as we can see, he is on the list here for Moscow and Paris with @39. I'm confused...

·
2,907 Posts

Again, could you please take a look at this post. What is Tipsarevic doing in MD here??:
I cant see anything wrong with your working, so that is a bit puzzling.

I have a few theories on why some PRs arent counted against his limit:

1) Cincinnati. Whilst I agree his late withdrawal should count as one of his 12, there is wording in the regulations that could omit it:

9.03.F.3.a

"If a player is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a period of twelve (12) months or longer, the entry protection shall be in effect for the first twelve (12) singles tournaments and the first twelve (12) doubles tournaments that the player competes in using the entry protection (excluding wild cards and entries as a direct acceptance with his current position in the Emirates ATP Rankings) or for the period up to twelve (12) months beginning with the first tennis event, including Special Events – Exhibitions, that the player competes in, whichever occurs first."

As Tipsarevic didnt actually compete in Cincinnati, it could be argued - rather poorly, granted - he didnt use his PR. That would allow him to play Moscow.

Now Paris.....

2) Grand Slams consider players using PR as a DA! Remember these are ITF events that use ATP rankings and entry system, but the ITF Grand Slam rulebook doesnt mention anything regarding Entry Protection and entry into Grand Slams (Entry Protection is only mentioned when discussing breaking ties between doubles teams). ITF considering players entering using PR as DAs is further supported by:

a) Draw sheets. Grand Slam drawsheets dont list PR. See 2016 Wimbledonhttp://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/540/MDS.pdf or 2016 Roland Garroshttp://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/520/MDS.pdf as examples.

b) ITF player profiles. If you check out Tipsarvics profilehttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=30023215, he is listed as DA for RG, WIM and USO rather than PR. The same is also true for Bakerhttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=100003655 and Tursunovhttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=10022602 and their 2016 GS appearances.

Why? Maybe so that players with PR can enter Grand Slams without worrying about there PR quota, and to ensure GS get a strong(er) field :shrug:

Yes, these are all really crappy arguments, but its the best I can come up with. If Tipsarevic is still IN next week, I'll shoot off an email to ATP for an explanation.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Re: Paris Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated October 17, 2016)

I'm guessing only the 1st argument is true (not counting PR for Cincinnati). That would actually make sense because we're dealing with players whose chances of having to withdraw are high, and due to injury (not being fully fit) not something else.

My guess is supported by Janko stating the fallowing after the USO: "St. Petersburg, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Shanghai, Moscow, and then we'll see, it depends on my ranking sport, I have 5 PRs left, which I plan on using".

So I'm guessing he just signed up for Paris in case he, for whatever reason, was forced to withdraw from some of the 5 tournaments mentioned in the meantime.

Given that he has played in all 5, I assume he won't get the PR for Paris now.

My argument is further strengthened by the fact that he signed up with his current ranking on the Entry deadline date (2nd from bottom on SKozak's list), which he didn't do for Shanghai nor Moscow, as he was sure to be IN with his PR.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure he's OUT here.

Edit: @Lukas15

·
Registered
5,520 Posts

I cant see anything wrong with your working, so that is a bit puzzling.
2) Grand Slams consider players using PR as a DA! Remember these are ITF events that use ATP rankings and entry system, but the ITF Grand Slam rulebook doesnt mention anything regarding Entry Protection and entry into Grand Slams (Entry Protection is only mentioned when discussing breaking ties between doubles teams). ITF considering players entering using PR as DAs is further supported by:

a) Draw sheets. Grand Slam drawsheets dont list PR. See 2016 Wimbledonhttp://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/540/MDS.pdf or 2016 Roland Garroshttp://www.protennislive.com/posting/2016/520/MDS.pdf as examples.

b) ITF player profiles. If you check out Tipsarvics profilehttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=30023215, he is listed as DA for RG, WIM and USO rather than PR. The same is also true for Bakerhttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=100003655 and Tursunovhttp://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?PlayerID=10022602 and their 2016 GS appearances.

Why? Maybe so that players with PR can enter Grand Slams without worrying about there PR quota, and to ensure GS get a strong(er) field :shrug:

Yes, these are all really crappy arguments, but its the best I can come up with. If Tipsarevic is still IN next week, I'll shoot off an email to ATP for an explanation.
This is a nice theory but I think it's not up to ITF. It's up to ATP who counts Slams for the 12 tournaments limit. Maybe if it was a Slam that would be the 13th. they could let the player play, but ATP won't let him play ATP events, I'm sure.

Would be interesting to see a player try to play a Slam as PR #13. That would require ITF to have it's own PR policy, but as far as I am aware, that's not the case?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

@fridge46 @uxyzapenje

Thanks for your posts. Regarding late withdrawal, I am pretty sure last season Almagro had counted one PR as used, when he appeared in the draw with PR and then pulled out (it was some clay masters, initially I didnt count him that one and so I thought he can enter USO as the last event with protection, which in the end did not happen, so looks like that late withdrawal was added to pool of used protections).
Grand Slams, well... Actually protected rankings are almost all about Slams, often you can see that players are planning return exactly to make some additional Slam falling into the protection period (recently Robredo, he extended his break by week or two, so protection period even though it could have been activated earlier was postponed by him and so he will be able to make RG directly). Would be weird if eventually all those calculations are made only with time on mind, not tournament quota...

Will be grateful if you will post here your potential response from ATP.

EDIT: Regarding Almagro, maybe the thing is that he actually was in the draw as far as I remember, and Tipsarevic wasnt? In both cases LL was needed as qualies had already started but maybe this little difference is an issue. If really Tipsa wasnt technically put into the Cincy draw, then we can assume he had 5 PRs left after USO, like he said, not 4 as I calculated. But anyway basing on his tweet, from Paris he should be withdrawn by ATP.

EDIT2: Tipsarevic was in the draw indeed... But I obtained info that he knows he CAN use it for Paris, this is the last one (as protection period expires in mid November). I think we might come to conclusion, that Cincinnati was counted, as was for Almagro, but none of Slams entered with PR counts... Im stupid now. Too much theories :)

·
Bring it Home
20,319 Posts

OUT Kyrgios (suspended), Zverev (finishing season in Stockholm)
IN Delbonis, Fognini

When was the last time Ferrer wasn't seeded in a M1000? It's unlikely, but may happen in this event. Live rankings:

17 Dimitrov 2035
18 Ferrer 2000
19 Gasquet 1905

With Kyrgios and Federer not playing, the 18th ranked player will get the 16th seed.

Gasquet and Ferrer (last countable result is 45, so both can add point with a SF) are playing Antwerp this week and they're in the same half, while Dimitrov is playing Stockholm (las countable result is 90, so he can only add points with a F).

·
2,907 Posts

@fridge46 @uxyzapenje

This is what I sent to ATP regarding the Entry Protection issue:

Hi,

I have a query regarding Janko Tipsarevic and his Entry Protection.

As he was absent from the Tour due to injury for over 52 weeks, he is eligible to use his Entry Protection for entry into twelve events over a twelve month period, excluding any Freeze Periods. However, it has been brought to my attention that he has used his Entry Protection into 13 events:-

2015 - Wimbledon, Montreal, US Open

2016 - French Open, London/Queens Club, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, US Open, St Petersburg, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Shanghai, Moscow

Moreover he has entered Paris using his Entry Protection. Although he was 2nd Alternate when Entry closed, due to withdrawals he is currently a Direct Acceptance. If he does indeed play in Paris, this would be the 14th time he has used his Entry Protection.

Is this an error or have I misunderstood the regulations in relation to Entry Protection?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read my query and look forward to your response.

Regards,
This is the response I received:

Good Evening,

Janko Tipsarevic has entered with his entry protected ranking and competed in 12 events. He did not compete in 2016 Cincinnati.

Kind regards,

ATP Rankings
So I was right about Cinncinati, but with Paris :shrug: they decided not to respond to that :mad: From their reply, I assume he is ineligible.

FYI. My messaged was passed to 3 different ATP employees haha

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

So I was right about Cinncinati, but with Paris :shrug: they decided not to respond to that :mad: From their reply, I assume he is ineligible.

FYI. My messaged was passed to 3 different ATP employees haha
Haha, that had to be the hottest topic of the day in their office :)
Okay, so at least we know that late withdrawal doesn't mean PR was used (though for me personally it's against common sense, as his initial entry with @ took away MD spot of some other player...), and that Slams are treated as any other ATP event.

However, I think you should write after Paris list will be closed to find out what is going on with Tipsarevic :) Cause like I said, he says he has one more left, and he can play Paris with protection... Or maybe after this issue was brought to attention by us, ATP will contact Janko today informing him that his season is basically over :devil:

Thanks @fridge46

·
Registered
11,667 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Paris Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated October 26, 2016)

Mischa Zverev (Basel) and Khachanov (Vienna) are candidates for SE into Paris MD.

Khachanov plays first and need to win, Zverev needs his own win and Khachanov loss.

If they both loss, Almagro will fill the vacancy.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Mischa Zverev (Basel) and Khachanov (Vienna) are candidates for SE into Paris MD.

Khachanov plays first and need to win, Zverev needs his own win and Khachanov loss.

If they both loss, Almagro will fill the vacancy.
Also Juan Martin if he want it, no

·
2,907 Posts

No, because Del Potro didn't sign to play qualies.
No, thats not the rule - although I agree that regulation 7.10.A.1 is somewhat misleading:

As I read it, and I am sure others do to, is that to be eligible for SE, 2 criteria need to have been met:
1) Accepted into the tournaments qualifying draw and;
2) Playing in another tournament on the day qualifying begins.

Now, because a player doesnt appear on the qualifying Advanced Entry Acceptance List, doesnt mean he isnt in the qualifying draw! Other ways into the qualifying draw are as a Wild Card or Alternate. So, it could be argued that the tournament considered giving a player a WC - that would make him eligible to be an SE.

Essentially the rule is:

"A player is eligible to receive a special exempt into the singles main draw of the following week’s tournament, subject to the provisions of this section, if he is unable to compete in that qualifying competition because he is still competing on the date the qualifying competition begins in another qualified event, and his current ranking as of the date of the entry deadline would not have otherwise qualified him as a direct acceptance on the original acceptance list if he had entered. In addition, a player who is still playing a match at 9 p.m. local time at the qualifying site, is eligible to receive a special exempt only if he wins that match."

There is precedence for this. The following examples are players who accepted SE without signing up that that events qualifying:

Olivo - Umag
Opelka - Los Cabos

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Del Potro said in Basel that he will not play in Paris in order to rest and to train for Davis Cup.
Yea like I said if he want it.

So in theory, the list for the SE positions are, in that order, Del Potro, Khachanov, M. Zverev. All of them have to win one more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts