Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paris is in danger of going back into lockdown next week after the French government said the coronavirus pandemic was worsening in the capital, according to CNN.

How will this affect the French Open? Discuss.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
The French authorities know very well, regardless what they will put into effect from next week on, it will be valid for the common people.

The remaining players at Roland Garros are not part of that group, they have special rights. So any decision will be made, they will enjoy exemption from that.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
I hope so. If the tournament is unable to finish I will never forgive the French.
Me neither, but let's stay realistic: this is a sporting event which is underway. They simply cannot force to close down, because they want to dampen the spreading of the virus.
400-500 people who are in a pandemic bubble are not really counting in this big operation anyway...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depends on whether Thiem and Nadal reach the semifinals. If the earthquake happens and there won't be Nadal and Thiem in the semis and Djokovic will be there the tournament will be cancelled.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think postponing it would be much more beneficial than cancellation. We are almost at the stage where every remaining match can be played under the roof, so it can be resumed in December if needs be. They play football in winter so why not tennis. Not ideal, but it is for entertainment

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
I think postponing it would be much more beneficial than cancellation. We are almost at the stage where every remaining match can be played under the roof, so it can be resumed in December if needs be. They play football in winter so why not tennis. Not ideal, but it is for entertainment
You are joking, right? They have to finish on the day or thereabout what they promised to ITF/ATP, so they can hold the remaining tourneys and the Tour Finals in November. There is no other way.

Reactions: sav001

·
Premium Member
10,350 Posts
a Pro Buisiness governement killing French Open ???? No way !

·
Premium Member
10,350 Posts
Federesian horde praying for government intervention to protect Rogie’s records NID
You should understand their mind, this year was a roller coaster...

First they learnt about Roger knee and thought he will loose most of his points...

Then COVID happened and they realized other will miss opportunities in Slams and that ranking is frozen....

Then FO decided to play in Fall and ruined Laver Cup.

Then USO happened and they realized only Wimbledon is void.... ruining Fed chances...

Then Federer said he needed another surgery.....

Then Rafa said he gave up USO and Nole was defaulted....

Then FO happened.....

So many up and downs.....

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Shut it all down! :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts