Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been spouting off about this year being totally bizarre in terms of the tennis world. Rather than post all the madness on this post I will let others do it for me :lol: So come on and tell us why you feel we are living in a parallel universe.:p

Reactions: Getta

·
Registered
810 Posts
Re: Parallel Universe 2008

The obvious and most recent one should go first:

1.) Federer losing first round to Murray; and then Roddick going on to best Djokovic and Nadal (in straight sets!!) before winning the entire tournament

...anyone who said that this would happen a week, month, or year ago would have been laughed off of the forum...

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

Not only is this a matter concerning some external forces like parallel universes, I would say this is perhaps a little of conspiracy theory going on. ;)

Will this streak continue where the top seeds don't even make the semis like Baggy going down and Nadal and Federer going down early at all the big events? hmmmm :eek:

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Fit Dave ROCKS! :rocker2:

·
Registered
30,480 Posts

I have been spouting off about this year being totally bizarre in terms of the tennis world. Rather than post all the madness on this post I will let others do it for me :lol: So come on and tell us why you feel we are living in a parallel universe.:p
It does feel a bit different and strange but I think it's mainly the Federer effect. The other results (Roddick, LLs winning tournaments, etc) wouldn't have been so shocking if he had repeated last year's performance.

Now if Nadal had excelled on HC then it would feel like living in a parallel universe :lol:.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts

Because its 2008-the year of the X, remember? :smash: :rolls:

·
Your visions will happen
50,166 Posts

It was Pics Ferrer earning his nickname and romping through draws getting his ranking up seemingly after the infamous thread.

It ws Fat Dave in Madrid and Paris coming from nowhere to win those titles, losing first round in Basel in between, then losing in straight in the 3rd round at the AO, then doing well in (gasp!) MM events!

It was Djokovic losing 5 straight matches late last year into this year then winning the AO losing just one set, then getting sick in DC, the Marseille loss, then falling to Roddick in Dubai.

It was Federer getting sick and losing the AO semi, then coming to Dubai and losing 1st round to Murray.

It was Tsonga pulling a Baghdatis and making the AO final.

It was Nadal losing to the above Tsonga in AO, getting plastered by Misha in Chennai, hell freezing over loss to Seppi, and falling to Roddick.

It was Roddick losing to Kohlschreiber in AO, people saying his career is over, then winning a tough DC match on clay away, winning San Jose, tanking in Memphis, then turning back the clock to 2004 and killing the Dubai field to the title.

It was in Vina Del Mar when Pico suffered a freak incident in doubles before the finals match and had to pull out, making the Gonzalez-Cuevas (who?!) semi the final match.

It was Nishikori over Blake in Delray, it was Llodra in Rotterdam winning the event when all the seeds lost in the first 2 rounds ( :tape: ), it was Darcis indoors winning a title, it was Stakhovsky (!??!?!) beating Ljubo at his home event for a title, it was Soderling, a top 10 player indoors losing both finals to the above Darcis and Llodra.

And all this before Indian Wells :rolls:

·
Registered
12,983 Posts

Nice summary, Jonathan. :)

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

:yeah: Jonathan! That pretty well sums up the year to date :haha: Man I wonder what will be coming ;) Insanity;)

·
Registered
30,480 Posts

:yeah: Jonathan! That pretty well sums up the year to date :haha: Man I wonder what will be coming ;) Insanity;)
Makes things exciting, no?

what a huge dissappointment it will be when Federer wins the IW-Miami double :p

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Makes things exciting, no?

what a huge dissappointment it will be when Federer wins the IW-Miami double :p

Maybe Massu will win the Olympics again:p

·
Registered
6,274 Posts

It was Pics Ferrer earning his nickname and romping through draws getting his ranking up seemingly after the infamous thread.

It ws Fat Dave in Madrid and Paris coming from nowhere to win those titles, losing first round in Basel in between, then losing in straight in the 3rd round at the AO, then doing well in (gasp!) MM events!

It was Djokovic losing 5 straight matches late last year into this year then winning the AO losing just one set, then getting sick in DC, the Marseille loss, then falling to Roddick in Dubai.

It was Federer getting sick and losing the AO semi, then coming to Dubai and losing 1st round to Murray.

It was Tsonga pulling a Baghdatis and making the AO final.

It was Nadal losing to the above Tsonga in AO, getting plastered by Misha in Chennai, hell freezing over loss to Seppi, and falling to Roddick.

It was Roddick losing to Kohlschreiber in AO, people saying his career is over, then winning a tough DC match on clay away, winning San Jose, tanking in Memphis, then turning back the clock to 2004 and killing the Dubai field to the title.

It was in Vina Del Mar when Pico suffered a freak incident in doubles before the finals match and had to pull out, making the Gonzalez-Cuevas (who?!) semi the final match.

It was Nishikori over Blake in Delray, it was Llodra in Rotterdam winning the event when all the seeds lost in the first 2 rounds ( :tape: ), it was Darcis indoors winning a title, it was Stakhovsky (!??!?!) beating Ljubo at his home event for a title, it was Soderling, a top 10 player indoors losing both finals to the above Darcis and Llodra.

And all this before Indian Wells :rolls:
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

What's gonna happen next? Roddick winning Roland Garros? Roger losing in the first round of Wimbledon? Nole bouncing the ball only once per serve? Rafa wearing comfortable underwear?

The brain, it ponders the many possibilities.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Blaze 's post wrapped it up in the best form. Mostly, Federer's incidents are the fastest sliding shortcut to the parallel universe. Besides the show up of stronger challenge aka Djokovic and frequent splashes of challenge from Nalby, Murray,Roddick ,etc,.. ,..

Nadal's losses may sound shocking concerning rankings, but i guess his fans including me are getting more used to results like these, they're and won't be that surprising anymore.

Bizzare results at the beginning of the season? Sure. Might give some excitation for those who complained of boring dominance of some players. But i don't expect it to go on for the whole season, especially with the hard courts coming.i guess Fed'll get back on track though ofcourse the Djoker 'll be there as a tougher challenger.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

These are all mickey mouse tournaments and the 'mickey mouse slam' (copyright, GlennMiryni), so none of it matters. I'm sure order will be restored in Indian Wells next week when Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic are in the semis with some other top 15 player, and Andy loses to Werner Eschauer in the second round. Right?

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

mickey mouse or not; Stakhovsky winning and a guy named Anderson doing so well in Las Vegas is unusual

·
Registered
97,310 Posts

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

What's gonna happen next? Roddick winning Roland Garros? Roger losing in the first round of Wimbledon? Nole bouncing the ball only once per serve? Rafa wearing comfortable underwear?

The brain, it ponders the many possibilities.:eek::eek:
Mardy Fish will do. Oscar Hernandez finally will follow the footsteps of Conchita Martinez and get the Wimbledon's crown.

Threads larger than 5000K posts will be closed on MTF. mark my words on the last one.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts