Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I noticed today that the pattern was very similar in these matches: Federer/Nadal taking the first set comfortably, losing the second set and going down a break in the third; recovering to win the third, and running away with the fourth.

Note:

Agassi led 3-6 6-2 *4-2, lost 3-6 6-2 6-7 1-6

Djokovic led 2-6, 6-3, *3-1, lost 2-6 6-3 4-6 1-6

Obviously the first set was crucial in both instances, and by turning around the deficit in the third, both Federer and Nadal were able to ride the momentum into the fourth and close out the match easily.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You're right, I never thought about the similarity between 2005 and 2013 finals.

I always thought that the 2006 US Open final between Roddick and Federer was the most similar to the 2013 final between Novak and Rafa...until I realised that in the 3rd set, Roddick was never up a break.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
But...but...but....nobody said Agassi choked to JesusFed at the time :confused:

I love the working of propaganda on MTF sometimes-- the twisting of the narrrative where Nadal playing at his HC peak level all the summer (broken 4 times entire Slam) into "Chokovic let this one go" is simply gold :lol:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
But...but...but....nobody said Agassi choked to JesusFed at the time :confused:

I love the working of propaganda on MTF sometimes-- the twisting of the narrrative where Nadal playing at his HC peak level all the summer (broken 4 times entire Slam) into "Chokovic let this one go" is simply gold :lol:
That's because Fed was playing at an extremely high level, whereas Dull is at a level where he loses to Almugro on clay and only wins through opponents choking.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
That USO final in 2005 almost epitomized what Fed was all about back then. Any time he was in trouble he could just go a gear higher almost at will.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Wow! Look at the contrast of play in those two videos. Dull really makes tennis look ugly and slow. I guess that's what happens when the tour allows a pusher to make the final.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The thing is Djokovic choked whilst Agassi didn't. Agassi lost to a superior player and Djokovic even after being the superior of the two choked against a pusher.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
The thing is Djokovic choked whilst Agassi didn't. Agassi lost to a superior player and Djokovic even after being the superior of the two choked against a pusher.
Exactly.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I noticed today that the pattern was very similar in these matches: Federer/Nadal taking the first set comfortably, losing the second set and going down a break in the third; recovering to win the third, and running away with the fourth.

Note:

Agassi led 3-6 6-2 *4-2, lost 3-6 6-2 6-7 1-6

Djokovic led 2-6, 6-3, *3-2, lost 2-6 6-3 4-6 1-6

Obviously the first set was crucial in both instances, and by turning around the deficit in the third, both Federer and Nadal were able to ride the momentum into the fourth and close out the match easily.
Nonsense. In 2005, the greater player won. In 2013, the greater player choked. Since then though, he has spanked that big ass so many times and they have all been so easy ... heck, you DVR all those matches and watch them one after another, and you might reach that mythic state of Nirvana.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Nonsense. In 2005, the greater player won. In 2013, the greater player choked. Since then though, he has spanked that big ass so many times and they have all been so easy ... heck, you DVR all those matches and watch them one after another, and you might reach that mythic state of Nirvana.
This.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I still cannot get over how far back Nadal stands to receive SECOND SERVES. When my opponents do that, I just bunt the ball in.

Slowest ace ever :yeah:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
I still cannot get over how far back Nadal stands to receive SECOND SERVES. When my opponents do that, I just bunt the ball in.

Slowest ace ever :yeah:
Same. Pretty sure I could ace Dull with a drop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts