Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
martinatreue said:
sorry marilag. I was wrong about that. he still grates me though just like any other player who plays up to the crowd when they know that their opponent is being given a hard time. but I was wrong about the bowing. The crowd was very rude to Greg at the US Open too and Srichaphan played on it there too. :(
And you said that Parisians are rude, so does the US crowds. If I remember collectly, the match between James Blake and Lleyton Hewitt in US Open 2002 (not the controvesy one), the whole stadium yelled at Lleyton about the whole issue from their previous match in US Open 2001. They don' t even know the whole story and they already jump to the conclusion. Let me put it this way, everyone is rude! So don't pin point to specific group without looking at yourself first.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Excusme guys! What is wrong with Thai culture?

Change your mind and find how fool you are. Well educated person wouldn't say anything like this. They should ask and find out what he did mean first. Mention something bad first before you really know what it means doesn't seem to be nice at all.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Only one thing I can say is Please please Please understand our (Thai) culture.

We also do the same thing(wai = respect, thank you) to the other side of opponent when the match's finished and also bow to the chair ampire after the match.

"WAI" is our Thai gesture. We do this kind of gesture for greeting when we meet the people. Thai people bow "WAI" to their parent everyday before they leave home and come back home. We bow "WAI" and say "Sawaddee" to other people when we meet each other.

Paradorn do "WAI" just because he wants to "THANK" and "RESPECT" to the crowd. Please understand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thailand is just a small country. Not many people know about its deep aspect as culture. Though the Thai themselves sometimes have conflicts among different groups. That's normal, I supposed.
But well... sometimes it is a sensitive topic to discuss. :(

As 'nobody' from this small country, it is nice to know lots of people recognize the tennis player from Thailand as Paradorn. If he is able to keep his place in ATP rank in the next years, I'm sure you may see some more exotic manners from him. ;)

Please check this page to see more about his special gesture.
http://www.geocities.com/paradornmania/en/ebypath1_cul02-11-10.html

I hope you could learn more about Paradorn and Thailand there.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts