Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering there was some interest in Paradorn and Natalie's marriage announcement, well, they got married yesterday. So, here is the video clip from Tennis's wedding of the year. Thai wedding are very interesting and very different from Farang wedding ceremonies. By the way, you don't need to get a piece of paper from the government to say you are married. The ceremony is basically a blessing by families of both sides and close friends. The Buddhist monks chant blessings and are part of cultural need but in Buddhism there is no specific marriage rite, unlike in Christianity or other religions where the priest actually confers the marriage status. This makes marriage a pure family affair. For example, my Thai language teacher married a Swedish guy, her student, and she told us there was no certificate, so, they went to Sweden to get married again in order for her to get a Swedish passport.
Anyway, for those who have never seen Thai weddings, unfortunately the clip does not show the traditional ceremony which lasts more than 2 hours.
I personally think this is post ceremony photo op for the press and not the actual ceremony. THe actual ceremony involves the couple being blessed with water by the family and close friends, and feeding of the monks. That part of the ceremony must have been done prior to this photo opportunity.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/nationvdo/showvdo.php?id=314&name=Star&cateid=8

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope they will be happy together, they look like a nice couple :) However I must say that it did look rather fake when they were kissing eachothers cheeks, especially when she was asked to give him a kiss. It all seemed sort of staged..;) Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Many thanks for the very interesting info and the video Dharmatiger :wavey: Can't wait for Paradorn to get his Canadian citizenship ;)

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the very interesting info and the video Dharmatiger :wavey: Can't wait for Paradorn to get his Canadian citizenship ;)
You are welcome Valexie03 :hug:. :lol: I doubt that Paradorn will change his Thai nationality. Thais by and large are too attached to their homeland to change their nationality. Besides, Thailand is very prosperous and the standard of living is high but cost of living is much lower than in Farang countries. Anyway, Paradorn is a big celebrity in Thailand but in Canada he will not have the same status. Anyway, I remember Natalie, had indicated that she loves Thailand (no srprise there, as most Farangs and non Thais do) and would like to settle there. This was before she announced her engagement to Paradorn.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
That's nice and all, but I'd really prefer to hear some good news regarding his comeback on the tour. So any hope, that he'll be back soon?

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope they will be happy together, they look like a nice couple :) However I must say that it did look rather fake when they were kissing eachothers cheeks, especially when she was asked to give him a kiss. It all seemed sort of staged..;) Thanks for the video!
Intrestingly, Thais don't kiss like Farangs or other nationalities in general. The Thai kiss is usually a sniff on the cheek. However, until recently it was a no no in Thailand for men and women to hold hands. All guide books tell you not to do it, but everything has changed in the last few years, especially in Bangkok. Now, you will find young couples walking hand in hand in public. This change has happened quite noticeably in the last ten years. However, in provinces and outside Bangkok people are much more conservative.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's nice and all, but I'd really prefer to hear some good news regarding his comeback on the tour. So any hope, that he'll be back soon?
From what I read in Thai newspapers is that he is hoping to come back next season. He tried to come back during Bangkok open but his injury hadn't healed in time for him to compete at the highest level. I am sure it also had something to do with his mind being on his wedding. Now the wedding is over, I am certain he will come back when the season opens. Usually at the end of the year there is an exhibition tournament in Thailand in Pataya or Hua Hin,where many top players play. I am sure there will be one this year and if Pardorn is not injured he will definitely play. for those interested I will check and post any news I find.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Intrestingly, Thais don't kiss like Farangs or other nationalities in general. The Thai kiss is usually a sniff on the cheek. However, until recently it was a no no in Thailand for men and women to hold hands. All guide books tell you not to do it, but everything has changed in the last few years, especially in Bangkok. Now, you will find young couples walking hand in hand in public. This change has happened quite noticeably in the last ten years. However, in provinces and outside Bangkok people are much more conservative.
Oh..I see :p Thanks for the info :yeah: Best of luck to the newlyweeds and hope to see Paradon back on tour soon!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You are welcome Valexie03 :hug:. :lol: I doubt that Paradorn will change his Thai nationality. Thais by and large are too attached to their homeland to change their nationality.
I was referring to DUAL citizenship of course ;) Did any tennis players attend the wedding :confused: Please keep us informed on his plans regarding tennis :cool:

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was referring to DUAL citizenship of course ;) Did any tennis players attend the wedding :confused: Please keep us informed on his plans regarding tennis :cool:
Okay, as for dual nationality I guess he will get that. As for tennis players attending,maybe Thais players did, but I am not sure about foreign players. I will check that out for you too.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Valexie, no foreign players attended. According to a Thai poster on MTF, there was talk of Paradorn inviting Tursunov, but for obvious he couldnt make it. The wedding clashed with D.C. finals.
Unfortunately, I don't read Thai well as yet, so, I am confined to English language thai newspapers online. Also being away from Thailand, I can't ask my Thai friends to dig up what they can on the wedding. I am sure the language papers had fuller and more comprehensive coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
It doesn't work with Firefox, my preferred browser, so, I tried with IE and it worked. Try it with internet explorer it just might work. If that doesn't work you can go through the main page of the website:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/index.php
Thank you. I was able to view it using IE.
Also thanks for the explanations on marriages in Thailand and kissing. That information is vital when you watch the video.

·
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. I was able to view it using IE.
Also thanks for the explanations on marriages in Thailand and kissing. That information is vital when you watch the video.
You are welcome amierin :hug:. If you are interested in Thai wedding customs, take a look at this website. It's the blog of a Thai teenager. he started blogging before it became famous, way back in the nineties. Gor, his name, as many teenagers around the world got hooked on drugs and unfortunately went to prison. This is totally not related to tennis but since many seem to be interested in Thai wedding customs, you would be fascinated by the description of his wedding. Not being a celebrity he had quite a traditional wedding. Check it out it is very interesting and better than anything I can post:
http://www.gorsworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=54

1 - 16 of 16 Posts