Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with Paradorn right now? He started off the season red-hot, winning the first tournament he entered. But since then it's been downhill. Juan Carlos crushed him in the Sydney Quarterfinals 6-3, 6-1, Mark defeated him in the 2nd round of the Australian Open, and then he had two early round losses to Gimelstob and Fish. And today Srichaphan had an embarasing 7-6, 6-2 loss to a qualifier in Scottsdale. :eek: So, what's up with his game? Is he possibly injured? Or is there nothing to worry about yet?

·
Registered
672 Posts
King Scotso of Aragon said:
Sorry but :D

He's got nothing nice to say about most places and I'm glad they're kicking his ass.
I agree. Maybe he just sucks. for now.. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
King Scotso of Aragon said:

He's got nothing nice to say about most places and I'm glad they're kicking his ass.
What are you talking about? He might not be the most charismatic player off the field (in terms of praising venues) but I doubt that he would have a bad thing to say about any1 or any place for that matter. It's way out of character.

However, I didn't hear or see his interview.

I am not glad to see him getting beaten so easily. It is unfortunate because he's a much better player than that. I don't know what's wrong with him, but he's bound to come back stronger and then he'll kick some ass.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Giovanni beat him easily and I'm not surprised! He is so consistant!

Paradorn has such a nice game but with no margin for error! If he is on, watch out but if he is a little off, I'll get beaten by any players!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Thai star ousted in first round
By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
March 4, 2003

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Giovanni Lapentti won his first ATP Tour match with flair, defeating fourth-seeded Paradorn Srichaphan of Thailand 7-6 (2), 6-2 Tuesday at the Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic.

The 20-year-old Ecuadorian's win was the tournament's second upset in as many days. Defending champion Andre Agassi was beaten by Thomas Enqvist on Monday.

Seventh-seeded Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina also failed to get past the first round, falling to Australia's Mark Philippoussis 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-1. But that was less of a surprise, since Philippoussis won at Scottsdale in 1997 and is 11-2 in the event.

The other seeded players in the day session got out of the first round by beating qualifiers.

Fifth-seeded Rainer Schuettler of Germany beat Harel Levy of Israel 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 and sixth-seeded Alex Corretja of Spain defeated Dmitry Tursunov of Russia 6-4, 6-2.

In unseeded matches, Arnaud Di Pasquale of France beat Luis Horna of Peru 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, Argentine Mariano Zabaleta ousted Robby Ginepri, Scott Draper of Australia beat Jonas Bjorkman of Sweden 6-3, 7-6 (5) and Wayne Ferreira of South Africa beat Wayne Arthurs of Australia 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-2.

Lapentti, the youngest player in the field, had to beat two Americans and eight-title winner Francisco Clavet of Spain in qualifying to reach his first main draw. But he wasn't in awe when he got there.

"I beat (Marcelo) Rios in the Davis Cup, and that gave me a lot of confidence,'' Lapentti said. "Then I beat Clavet in the last round of qualifying Sunday, and that gave me a lot of confidence as well.

"I'm not afraid of playing these guys.''

Lapentti, ranked 311th in the world through his experience in satellite events, faced one of the ATP's bright young stars in the 12th-ranked Srichaphan, who won two titles last year and reached two other finals to become the first Asian in 22 years to finish in the top 20.

Srichaphan, who won at Chennai to start this year, got in trouble early. He double-faulted three times while Lapentti broke him in the second game. In the tiebreaker, the qualifier trailed only after the first serve.

Lapentti's momentum continued in the second set. He broke Srichaphan in the first and fifth games, helped by two more of the Thai's six double faults.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Well when you claim that the number one player in the world "isn't that good" there's obviously something wrong with you.
I don't think he would have ment it by saying that Hewitt sucks or anything like that....I think he was just merely pointing out that there was a time when Hewitt was pretty much 'unbeatable'...and now hes not??

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
I think Paradorn means that he's confident in his own ability to play anyone.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
At first I thought Nicolas beat him, but then I realised it was Giovanni. I don't know him that well, but things must be going wrong for Paradorn if he loses to a guy like Giovanni (no offense, but I think Paradorn can do way better, especially against a young and inexperienced player).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:

You should check your "facts" before slandering people.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think he's in a mini slump right now but if he can oull things together in future tournaments that shows he's ready to be a top 10 player. Hope he wokrs out the chinks in his armour first.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Princess Liz said:
I don't think he would have ment it by saying that Hewitt sucks or anything like that....I think he was just merely pointing out that there was a time when Hewitt was pretty much 'unbeatable'...and now hes not??
I agree, anyway I don't think Paradorn after being maybe one of the most gentle players would have said that with a bad intention, he has respect to the other players.

About Paradorn in a slump? Hmm...who knows, maybe he is, but every player who was succesful a year before, has like a bad period the next year, so just give him a break, and he'll be back.

But I'm happy Giova beated him!:bounce:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
here's Bob Larson's analysis of that match -- for those of us who didn't get to see it...

Men's Match of the Day
Scottsdale - First Round
Giovanni Lapentti (Q) def. (4) Paradorn Srichaphan 7-6(7-2) 6-2

You read that right. Giovanni Lapentti. The little brother.

Until this year, Giovanni was Challenger bait, except for one big win against Britain in Davis Cup doubles. In 2002, he didn't make an ATP main draw; he played qualifying at Halle and Wimbledon (guess that Davis Cup result made him think he was a grass player), winning one match at Halle and none at Wimbledon. Even in Challengers, he spent most of his time in qualifying, and except for making the final at Quito (where he lost to Dick Norman), he never made his way past the quarterfinal. It did not appear that he would be going anywhere in the future.

Then came this year's Davis Cup tie. Where he beat none other than Marcelo Rios. True, it was a Rios covered with rust -- but it was easily the biggest win of his career (in those Challengers last year, for instance, the biggest names he beat were Martin Verkerk -- before Verkerk made his big leap -- and Juan Balcells, that after Balcells had come apart). And now he's taken the next step: An ATP event.

And he didn't stop there; he beat one of the best players in the world.

We aren't even going to try to guess what this does for Giovanni's ranking. He came in below #200, making it very difficult to know how far he will climb. He does, for the first time in his career, gain an actual Race ranking, though -- even though it's below #100.

We find ourselves wondering a little about Srichaphan. He started this year as he ended last: Brilliantly. But things haven't gone well since. He had 50 Race points following the Australian Open. Since then, he's earned only 7, including the one he earns here. That despite playing fairly regularly. We can only guess, but -- has all that success last year finally caught up with him?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Well when you claim that the number one player in the world "isn't that good" there's obviously something wrong with you.
actually there isn't anything wrong with you,cause the #1 player isn't thjat good..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts