1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:cool:
:devil:
:angel:
In my opinion the following players are the biggest `overachievers` in the modern game!
i.e. achievments relative to talent [or lack of]:

1. Jimmy Connors [8-slams, 109-titles, former #1]
2. Mats Wilander [7-slams, 33-titles, former #1]
3. Michael Chang [1-slam, 33-titles, former #2]
4. Jim Courier [4-slams, 23-titles, former #1]
5. Lleyton Hewitt [2-slams, 26-titles, former #1]
6. Thomas Muster [1-slam, 44-titles, former #1]
7. Gustavo Kuerten [3-slams, 20-titles, former #1]
8. Yevgeny Kafelnikov [2-slams, 26-titles, former #1]
9. Thomas Johannson [1-slam, 9-titles]
10. Albert Costa [1-slam, 12-titles]

--->>
What do you think:confused: Agree with me:confused:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
:cool:
:devil:
:angel:
In my opinion the following players are the biggest `overachievers` in the modern game!
i.e. achievments relative to talent [or lack of]:

1. Jimmy Connors [8-slams, 109-titles, former #1]
2. Mats Wilander [7-slams, 33-titles, former #1]
3. Michael Chang [1-slam, 33-titles, former #2]
4. Jim Courier [4-slams, 23-titles, former #1]
5. Lleyton Hewitt [2-slams, 26-titles, former #1]
6. Thomas Muster [1-slam, 44-titles, former #1]
7. Gustavo Kuerten [3-slams, 20-titles, former #1]
8. Yevgeny Kafelnikov [2-slams, 26-titles, former #1]
9. Thomas Johannson [1-slam, 9-titles]
10. Albert Costa [1-slam, 12-titles]

--->>
What do you think:confused: Agree with me:confused:
What the fuck? How did Kuerten NOT diserve his three slams? How the heck did he overachieve. If he still were competitive today, he'd be unstoppable on clay.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Chang a overachiever? :lol:

A guy that was freaking talented, wins a GS with 17 years old and then doesn't win another GS and he's a overachiever?

Reactions: A_Skywalker

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Thomas Muster was not an overachiever at all. The guy was an absolute genius on clay during his prime, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he won 40 claycourt titles, and 4 more titles on hard/carpet.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,418 Posts
So Ferrero is an underachiever and Kuerten is an overachiever? Yyyyyyeah, right! :retard:
Andre♥;6170860 said:

A guy that was freaking talented, wins a GS with 17 years old and then doesn't win another GS and he's a overachiever?
threads from CmonAussie dont necessarily have to make sense

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Andre♥;6170860 said:

Thomas Muster was not an overachiever at all. The guy was an absolute genius on clay during his prime, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he won 40 claycourt titles, and 4 more titles on hard/carpet.
What do you expecy? He included Kuerten on his list! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why Kuerten?
Kuerten`s high risk game & long loopy strokes made it hard for him to be consistent;)

Notice that Guga never went beyond QF @ the other 3 slams.
Also @ FO he really only played three good touneys [97, 00 & 01]~~ yet managed to win them all:worship:

2000 was especially sweet for Guga, as he finished #1 & won TMC [he never repeated such a high performance on hard courts again, of course he deserved it~~ by making the most of his chances]!

Kuerten should be well satisfied with 3-slams, #1, TMC, etc. [he maximised his potential]:angel:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Kuerten`s high risk game & long loopy strokes made it hard for him to be consistent;)

Notice that Guga never went beyond QF @ the other 3 slams.
Also @ FO he really only played three good touneys [97, 00 & 01]~~ yet managed to win them all:worship:

2000 was especially sweet for Guga, as he finished #1 & won TMC [he never repeated such a high performance on hard courts again, of course he deserved it~~ by making the most of his chances]!

Kuerten should be well satisfied with 3-slams, #1, TMC, etc. [he maximised his potential]:angel:
So which way do you want to go? He maximized his potential or he overachieved? Those two are not the same thing, you know.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What the fuck? How did Kuerten NOT diserve his three slams? How the heck did he overachieve. If he still were competitive today, he'd be unstoppable on clay.
:rolleyes:

"unstopable on clay"~~i don`t think so, even Hewitt managed to beat Guga in straight sets on clay in Brazil [when Kuerten was ranked #1]:p

As I already said, Guga played FO great three times [97, 00 & 01]...apart from that he never went beyond QF;)

Contrast with JCF, who could have won a few more [JCF @ FO, 2000 (SF), 2001 (SF), 2002 (F), 2003 (W)...]:sad:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Had Al Costa not won his French Open title in 2002, he would have seriously underachieved during his career. His matches against a peak form Muster at Roland Garros and Kitzbuhel in 1995 and Monte-Carlo in 1996, highlighted just how good he was on clay when he played to the best of his abilities. He was then annointed as a future Roland Garros champion and consistently failed to live up to his billing. At Roland Garros 2002, he seized his opportunity to redeem his past failures. His backhand was outstanding.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had Al Costa not won his French Open title in 2002, he would have seriously underachieved during his career. His matches against a peak form Muster at Roland Garros and Kitzbuhel in 1995 and Monte-Carlo in 1996, highlighted just how good he was on clay when he played to the best of his abilities. He was then annointed as a future Roland Garros champion and consistently failed to live up to his billing. At Roland Garros 2002, he seized his opportunity to redeem his past failures. His backhand was outstanding.
i`d still like to know who you`d put in your overachievers list:confused:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts