Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often hear the term Out of Form being thrown around this 2014.

But in reality MTF keeps using these terms to describe players like Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer, etc. From what I have seen, often times this term "Out of Form" is used to describe players who are 28+ years and older.

I have especially heard this being used for Tsonga and in my personal opinion, he is not out of form, but on the decline.

So I guess maybe you can list players who are "Out of Form" or players who are "On the Decline"?

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Nowadays 28-29 years is the peak for many tennis players (witness Wawrinka), so if a 28-yeard-old players has a bad patch it's more reasonable to assume he's out of form rather than declining.

It's different for Ferrer or Haas who are quite a bit older.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Nowadays 28-29 years is the peak for many tennis players (witness Wawrinka), so if a 28-yeard-old players has a bad patch it's more reasonable to assume he's out of form rather than declining.

It's different for Ferrer or Haas who are quite a bit older.
Wawrinka is not "many". Do you have any other examples of players peaking at 28-29?

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Wawrinka is not "many". Do you have any other examples of players peaking at 28-29?
Another dramatic example is Ferrer.

The average age of the top 100 has been going up quite a lot, I don't have the statistics at hand but you can see at http://tennisabstract.com/reports/rankingsByAge.html that half of the top 10 and half of the top 40 is made up of 28+ players, which further supports the idea that 28 is the peak.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Another dramatic example is Ferrer.

The average age of the top 100 has been going up quite a lot, I don't have the statistics at hand but you can see at http://tennisabstract.com/reports/rankingsByAge.html that half of the top 10 and half of the top 40 is made up of 28+ players, which further supports the idea that 28 is the peak.
There are a lot of them, yes, but most of them have been there for a long time - not improved at 28-29.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts