Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I ask you to name 6 biggest favourites at 2020 French Open most of you will mention Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem, Schwarzman, Wawrinka and Zverev. 5/6 players are drawn in the same half with one guy getting challenger tour and ATP 250 level opponents all the way. Do you remember other Majors with such a lopsided draw?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
The US Open after DJs disqualification.

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Djokovic is the luckiest player of all time. I wish Murray had half his luck, would have at least 16 slams by now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
At Roland Garros 2015: Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Ferrer were all on the same half. The other half only had Federer (who had declined on clay by this point) and Wawrinka (who hadn't won the French Open yet).

Outside of majors, as I mentioned in the other thread, Indian Wells 2017 had an absolutely ridiculously lopsided draw. The following players were all in the same quarter (not just the same half!):
  • Djokovic
  • Federer
  • Nadal
  • Del Potro
  • Zverev
  • Kyrgios
  • Anderson
  • Verdasco

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Nadal has 0 challengers before QF, has to go through Korda/Martinez in R4? The only thing people whine over and over is Thiem in his half, and that's automatically a weak draw for Djokovic? If he's clay GOAT he'll have no trouble getting over Dominic.

Djokovic has Khachanov/Garin in R4, RBA/Berettini in QF. All in decent form. So probably just a weaker SF draw compared to Nadal, if he makes it there at all. And even then you never know when Tsitsi decides to redline.

Reactions: WhatdidIdo

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Djokovic is the luckiest player of all time. I wish Murray had half his luck, would have at least 16 slams by now.
Sure, no one (among ATG's) was "so lucky" to have almost always been placed in the same half at RG with unbeatable CC-goatdal therein, and in his younger days (till 2012) nine times out of ten HC slams with HC-goaterer in the same half, meaning, you have to beat peaking Federer in SF just to make HC final vs probably fresher opponents, and the only time they were not in the same HC half was USO'07 and consequently the first Fedovic slam final.

Similar was true with the emergance of Stan the man in 2013, who was almost always in Djokovic's quarter or half at HC slams, whereas Nadal again in the opposite as from Federer & Djokovic till 2012.

When Nadal was absent then it was Federer's turn to get an absolute HC cakewalk e.g. USO'14, again with all the contenders and dark horses in Djokovic's half.

The same was true for AO'19 and USO'19 the last season and we know what was the case with RG'19.

If I ask you to name 6 biggest favourites at 2020 French Open most of you will mention Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem, Schwarzman, Wawrinka and Zverev. 5/6 players are drawn in the same half with one guy getting challenger tour and ATP 250 level opponents all the way. Do you remember other Majors with such a lopsided draw?
As I've already mentioned USO'14 and USO'19 with all the injured, out-of-form players and less dangerous seeds in Nadal's half as at Canada & Cinci masters beforehand, consequently you get to play SF & F vs two players who passed 4R at the slams for the first time in career, the other one being actually dangerous, but also pretty tired for the final coming from a lot tougher half .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts