Mens Tennis Forums banner

Optimal weight for tennis?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  tripwires 
#1 ·
Obviously this differs with height.

I recall in Federer's peak days, his weight was in the 170 lb. range. Nowadays he is 187. I think he has chosen to add muscle in his later years, perhaps to offset his loss of speed.

Nadal is 188, and has been for much of his career.

Djokovic, however, is only 176. This allow him to be quicker around court than those two,

Djokovic is an inch taller than Fedal, but weighs a good 10+ pounds less.

Tsonga, meanwhile, is the same height as Djokovic, but weights 200, 24 pounds more than Nole :eek:

As for shorter players, Ferrer is 5'9'', 160. Nishikori is 5'10'', 150. Laver back in his day was 5'8'', 147. Ferrer has got more muscle than Nishikori and Laver, but the latter two can move quicker. Ferrer has more power, though.

Maybe it is genetic thing? Ferrer and Tsonga are more bulky for their heights cause their bodies are just made that way? While Nishikori and Djokovic for example have a slight frame, exchanging power for speed.

What say you? What is the optimal weight for tennis?

See less See more
#4 ·
Whatever the exact weight of gluten free Nole is.

Ajde.

#5 ·
Obviously this differs with height.

I recall in Federer's peak days, his weight was in the 170 lb. range. Nowadays he is 187. I think he has chosen to add muscle in his later years, perhaps to offset his loss of speed.
:spit:
Rog's chocolate binge builds muscle? :haha:

#7 ·
Kinda does look like muscle to me. Not many tennis players have very developed pecs and/or six packs (not talking airbrushed ones, ahem).

Feli and Fiasco are maybe a warning of what having model bodies can do to your tennis career ;)

(ok, ok, I take that back.... no bad words can be said about Feli)

#10 ·
You need to hang out in the sexiest player thread- the only players with more body fat than Fed are Baghdatis, Stan, Nalbandian and Taylor Dent.

#13 ·
6 foot 2 of hair.

174 pounds of gut.

Ajde.

#14 ·
What are you talking about? Roger was never 170, not in the years of his prime, anyway. Maybe when he was 17. He definitly didn't add 15 pounds. He was 180, if I recall correctly, then corrected his weight to 187 or 185 on some presser 3 years ago, and it was also changed on the ATP site. It's not like they get weighted every year or so, unless they update the weight themselves, the stat on the ATP website is the weight they had when they turned pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.