Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Definitely worth watching personally, it was a pretty interesting video. I’m a bit on the fence on this. I don’t agree with Thiem’s comments because it was a bit insensitive as he didn’t really need to talk about about their lack of hard work or professionalism and with the lack of tennis due to COVID, the lower ranked players can’t even play tennis to earn money, so it’s only fair ITF funds for them and obviously he shouldn’t be forced to donate his money of course, if he feels there are other sectors more worth donating for, but he should have been nicer considering this COVID situation.

However, I don’t think Thiem deserved to be called out this personally, she took those comments way too personally and was a bit harsh on him, it also felt she was complaining too much on Thiem’s privileged life and playing the victim card a bit too much for my liking, its not like she herself knows whether Thiem had his struggles or not to reach the top. Probably nothing in comparison to her, but still it’s not Thiem’s fault that he was born in Europe and was more fortunate than her. So she shouldn’t be making Thiem look like a complete villain here.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
Yikes, she makes this video because she feels she is entitled to Thiem's money. This young lady thinks she will impress someone if she puts some Hans Zimmer music and tells her story.
It's Thiem's fault that Algeria can't provide her some tennis courts? That she requires a visa? Jesus Christ, what about the other 50 millions of people (or what the number is) that lost their jobs? Piss off, I am getting tired of everyone attacking Thiem.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
its like i said before. i dont blame thiem for a minute for not wanting to donate anything to something he doesnt believe in. the very idea of asking top players to donate was ridiculous when the governing body itself is capable of far more . not to mention top players dont bare responsibility for the lower ranked players. at the same time some of his comments were just plain ignorant so i could understand if it angered some of those players

however this response is just cringy. i don t feel bad for her at all. attacking thiem isnt going to make me feel bad for her . he worked for his money. she doesnt deserve any of it

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Wow, this Thiem story keeps going. The guy did nothing wrong. The only mistake he made was questioning the hardwork of those lower ranked. As most have said, it's his money. He can burn it if he wants. Everyone is focusing on the wrong target. The ATP, ITF, Tennis Associations etc should be the ones under fire.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
As a Thiem fan, I am a bit embarrassed about this whole story, they wrote articles everywhere about it and many notes forgot to mention that he just preferred to give his money to other causes or people in need. Now Dominic is like the bad guy of the tennis, but he is a very kind person, very sensitive and cares about a lot of things about our world. So his sentence was taken a bit out of of the context. The initiative from the big 3 was a good one, but why, did they had to decide on the amount each player had to give ? I mean, Dominic had to give the same amount as them, but the 3 legends earned so much more that I don't think it is fair that Dominic and other ones had to give the same amount or almost the same. I think that Nole/Fed/Rafa could have said, we give each 100.000$, and all other players of the top 100 give what they can in function of their possibilities.
As for the Lady from Algeria, it is a good story to read, but with this polemic, she also takes the opportunity to make a name for herself

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Thiem accusing them of being lazy is not on, maybe some of them work equally as hard but are not as lucky as him in having less talent. So he should have thought first and engaged his mouth later. Somebody 'get him to da choppa'

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
"Where is his ACTIONS TO IMPROVE TENNIS instead of words?"
"That is an insult to my SACRIFICE"
"He should talk about those STARVING like me"

Those are actual tweets sent by that 'Algerian' player currently residing in Valencia. She must be just trolling at this point.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Thiem was right.Said everything right.

·
Registered
14,444 Posts
Thiem kind of deserved something like this for his ridiculous comment, but this should have been directed at Federer and Nadal for their union vetoing. Now that would have created a firestorm.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
At the end of the day sport is a privilege not a right. She chose to go down a route that was risky, she could of got a standard job if she wanted to, the fact it doesn't pay off is down to her & only her. At the end of the day, sport is a business if these tournaments aren't pulling in money why should others subsidise them? Her life away from her family is a direct result of her choices no-one else's.

·
Registered
62,581 Posts
Thiem's comments were shitty and he deserved to be called out.
Though Fedal should also be called out for their role in creating this situation.

·
Your visions will happen
52,953 Posts
They hated her because she spoke the truth.
Most correct post in this thread

So many people respond by telling her to eat cake and defending Thiem's little punk ass privileged self. I don't know that I can ever root for Thiem again

She said it right. This crisis does not just build character, it exposes it

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am with the Dominator on this, he can continue giving his money to the dolphins or wherever he see fit.

In any money should also be given to some players, using certain categories. Imagine giving your hard earned cash to Tomic just because he is ranked god knows where.

·
Super Moderator
22,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thiem kind of deserved something like this for his ridiculous comment, but this should have been directed at Federer and Nadal for their union vetoing. Now that would have created a firestorm.
Lmao, Fedal have always been in favour of lower ranked players getting more money, they just differ in the manner on how to do it. Stop being so obsessed and bitter over this union thing already, that you need to bring up in every single thread. This agenda of yours is ridiculous

1 - 20 of 43 Posts