Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When budadiii incorrectly accused buddyholly as being a liberal earlier this year, I corrected him on that as buddyholly is a loyal conservative. I forgot to provide a source at the time when I stated that even the majority of Canadian conservatives have a poor opinion of Trump, but here is a source. Being anti-Trump does not make one a liberal, and Canadians of all stripes overwhelmingly reject Trumpism.

Although I have major problems with Trudeau's corruption and ethics lapses, I would never even begin to think that Trump would be an acceptable replacement given that Trump is basically an extremely authoritarian leader who believes he is completely above the rule of law in every way possible. I'm no conservative, but I am glad to say that even if I don't agree with that many conservatives in Canada on policy that we can agree on firmly rejecting Trumpism.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
31% is a lot

I bet less than 31% of liberals would choose a left wing leader if the views were flipped

·
Registered
10,756 Posts
Fortunately for Canadians, it is a false dichotomy, because Trump has nothing whatsoever to do with the Tories in Canada and they don't have to vote for him if they dislike Trudeau.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Principled conservatives should agree that Trump is a disgrace. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of them in the US.

Reactions: RForehand

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
In this case the opinion of conservative Canadians is as relevant as that of a pack of baboons in Equatorial Africa.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Trump wouldn't work anywhere else exc. in USA , maybe Russia only. Those 31 % have no idea how terrible it would be for them to have such an extermist, antagonistic, demented troll running a great country that has nothing to do with such views . It's not all about the economy , ya know. I agree it's too high a number 31%

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Fortunately for Canadians, it is a false dichotomy, because Trump has nothing whatsoever to do with the Tories in Canada and they don't have to vote for him if they dislike Trudeau.
What a stupid poll...

Principled conservatives should agree that Trump is a disgrace. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of them in the US.
They’re around, they just aren’t all over cable TV.

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
They’re around, they just aren’t all over cable TV.
Never-Trump Republicans are wayyyyy over-represented in the US media. They're something like 10% of the GOP, yet over 50% of the NYT's Republican columnists, and similar numbers at WSJ/Wapo/TV pundits.

Trump is very much the heir to the tradition of Nixon/Reagan/Bush/McCain. Monsters, all.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Never-Trump Republicans are wayyyyy over-represented in the US media. They're something like 10% of the GOP, yet over 50% of the NYT's Republican columnists, and similar numbers at WSJ/Wapo/TV pundits.

Trump is very much the heir to the tradition of Nixon/Reagan/Bush/McCain. Monsters, all.
Never Trumpers who were extremist war mongers have effectively rebranded themselves as the same conservatives and gotten cushy cable and op-ed gigs

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Because most 'Canadian conservatives' are still liberal...

What an hilarious poll - 1500 people, what a representation of Canada :LOL:

What is even more pathetic is that any majority of people would trust Trudeau to 'tell the truth' over anybody. Surely evidence that the Trudeau funded Canadian Brainwashing Corporation is doing its job.

Here ii Canada we don't really like to think for ourselves, we would rather pat ourselves on the back for following the rules and being liked in the 'global community'.

Interesting that our national animal is a large rodent, where in the USA it is an eagle! Like they say 'Eagles fly alone, but pigeons flock together'.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What is even more pathetic is that any majority of people would trust Trudeau to 'tell the truth' over anybody. Surely evidence that the Trudeau funded Canadian Brainwashing Corporation is doing its job.
Given that Trump publicly lies multiple times throughout the day, it's no surprise most Canadian conservatives pick Trudeau over Trump even if they hate Trudeau. It's not that most Canadian conservatives are liberal as you say. It's that most Canadian conservatives can see that Trump is so completely unsuited to being president in every way that even Trudeau is a better alternative even though many of them can't stand Trudeau. Those completely unsuited to lead like Trump and Bolsonaro are jokes of leaders that are destroying their countries.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Well of course, even though we have a tiny stream of crazed idiotic libertarian tea party yahoos, it's nothing compared to the US, someone like Trump (there is no-0one quite like him, kind of a cross of Mussolini, a carny barker, Hitler, and a used car salesman) could never gain traction here.
Canuck conservatives are still mainly old style conservatives, red tories they're called, it was only the merger with the reform party that looked anything like US right wing types, Old style US conservs seem appalled by Trump but powerless to do anything. Their representatives in govt. are total whores, and will facillitate Trump at any cost--Mitt Romney excepted.

Anyone mistaking Buddy Holly for a liberal would have to be a far right redneck or just plain stupid.
But hey--aren't those the same thing?

I have never in my life been so glad to be Canadian, during Covid and the trump era.
I did not speak like this before.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Trump wouldn't work anywhere else exc. in USA , maybe Russia only. Those 31 % have no idea how terrible it would be for them to have such an extermist, antagonistic, demented troll running a great country that has nothing to do with such views . It's not all about the economy , ya know. I agree it's too high a number 31%
You got a trump in brazil, and Boris Johnson isn't so far off, there are lots of Trump Lites all over the place.
Putin is as bad as Trump, but different, old style oligarch in a country with no democratic tradition, very easy to occur.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I have trouble beleiving 31% btw, would have to see the scope of this poll, i.e. who was polled, the demographic, where they are in the country.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You got a trump in brazil, and Boris Johnson isn't so far off, there are lots of Trump Lites all over the place.
Putin is as bad as Trump, but different, old style oligarch in a country with no democratic tradition, very easy to occur.
I've got friends in the UK who always vote Labour, and they say that, besides the hair, Johnson is nowhere near as bad as Trump

·
Registered
5,115 Posts

What an hilarious poll - 1500 people, what a representation of Canada :LOL:

What is even more pathetic is that any majority of people would trust Trudeau to 'tell the truth' over anybody.
LoL this is all I needed to know about mass stupidity 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 21 Posts