Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
23,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is quite a (negative) development for Spanish tennis. Other than Nadal and Ferrer, all of the other Spanish seeded players have been booted out before the 3rd Round! The only other Spanish player left all-in-all is Andujar. Quite alarming IMO knowing how reliable they are in the past years on Clay.

11. Feliciano López (First round)
18. Tommy Robredo (Second round)
19. Roberto Bautista Agut (Second round)
26. Guillermo García-López (First round)
32. Fernando Verdasco (Second round)

Is it surprising or do you think it's just this year's fluke? Should they be alarmed as their top players are getting booted early now too? It's quite surprising as I remembered last year there were 7 still staying at the 3rd Round. 5 were in the 3rd Round in the 2012 championships too.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Re: Only 3 Spanish Players Left in RG 2015 in R3

I noticed this too, it's pretty strange. Lopez doesn't really count in regards to clay (though the 11th seed shouldn't be losing in the first round of a slam in general), but the others were a little surprising.

It's probably a fluke, I think Spanish players will continue to do well on clay in general. It's pretty funny the one Spanish player left (besides Ferrer/Nadal) is the one who had the best opponent in Kohli. No one would have batted an eye if Andujar was booted out in straights, yet he's still here while the rest have been sent packing by inferior opposition.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts

It's alarming that Nadal is still in.

Reactions: Nathaliia

·
Registered
21,759 Posts

Spanish tennis is really declining now. No bright future.

·
Registered
287 Posts

I think that the current and the new players are trying even more to play well on clay. The slowing down of the game might have helped it too. But this year, definitely, it was unusual, some of the spanish favorites fell earlier than expected (and I'm not talking about Lopez :lol:).

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

Hopefully it will be 0 of them left in a round or 2.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Spanish doctors aren't what they used to be, so the new generations are lacking that extra gear to fill the gap left by their aging predecessors...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

"And a cleansing rain descendeth from His heavens and washeth away the cheats, the dulls, and the fiends that plague our sport so that humanity might be saved."
-Nole 8:24

This truly is a sacred year. Now for the Djokovic-Nadal BBQF

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

I noticed this too, it's pretty strange. Lopez doesn't really count in regards to clay (though the 11th seed shouldn't be losing in the first round of a slam in general), but the others were a little surprising.

It's probably a fluke, I think Spanish players will continue to do well on clay in general. It's pretty funny the one Spanish player left (besides Ferrer/Nadal) is the one who had the best opponent in Kohli. No one would have batted an eye if Andujar was booted out in straights, yet he's still here while the rest have been sent packing by inferior opposition.
Even right now, i'd still prefer to be spanish than french when it comes to tennis as both Ferrer and Nadal are almost guaranteed to go further than any of the french player left.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Hopefully it will be 0 of them left in a round or 2.
Maybe Djoker can play a RG final with Chardy and win. :worship:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts

Everyone who should be in is still in it, Spanish or not. Lopez, Verdasco and Andujar are not really quality players. It doesn't matter where they are from.

·
Registered
21,616 Posts

Murray indefinitely sank the Spanish Armada at Madrid, just like the English did in 1588.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

wait are you seriously making a non issue an issue? 'worrisome' for SPanish tennis? serious? you're aware that they've led the titles won count in general for like the last decade straight right?

don't worry about Spanish tennis, to have one Roland Garros where they don't fill half of the R16 is nothing to freak out about, in fact its a probably a good thing because its been nuts how many Spanish clay courters have been around in this event over the last years

especially when considering a Spaniard has won Roland Garros for how many times in a row

still more Spanish mens players left in the draw then Swiss or Serbian haha so, again, total non issue. the Spanish will probably end up with the highest title count overall again this season, don't read so much into one singular event

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Spanish tennis is really declining now. No bright future.
scroll through the top 100. lot of decent Spanish players at all ages. the only real difference lately is Nadal not being as good. sure, Lopez, Verdasco, Almagro are playing worse arguably as well but that happens

if Spanish tennis is in dire straights then I don't know what that says about every other countries tennis field, since the Spaniards still probably are winning the most titles overall. bear in mind Spain is no giant country, its not as if the natural thing is to expect them to have a million places making it deep in every slam. they have a great program and academies and that won't ever change. the talent? maybe, maybe not. far too early too say though when there are a lotttt of Spaniards in the top 100 and we have the likes of Ferrer still winning plenty of titles and obvs Nadal still around

·
Registered
10,080 Posts

Spanish doctors aren't what they used to be, so the new generations are lacking that extra gear to fill the gap left by their aging predecessors...

It is indeed interesting to note that the Spanish players, even Nadal, are declining at the same time.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

2 Spanish players in the Top 10.
5 Spanish players in the Top 20.
12 Spanish players in the Top 100 (the last one is ranked 66).

0 French players in the Top 10.
3 French players in the Top 20.
9 French players in the Top 100.

1 British player in the Top 10-
2 British players in the Top 100 (Bedene was Slovenian a year ago, otherwise it would just be Murray).

0 American players in the Top 10.
1 American player in the Top 20.
6 American players in the Top 100.

0 German players in the Top 10.
0 German players in the Top 20.
4 German players in the Top 100.

Almost a fifth of the Top 60 are Spanish players, so yeah... I guess Spanish tennis is weak!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

2 Spanish players in the Top 10.
5 Spanish players in the Top 20.
12 Spanish players in the Top 100 (the last one is ranked 66).

0 French players in the Top 10.
3 French players in the Top 20.
9 French players in the Top 100.

1 British player in the Top 10-
2 British players in the Top 100 (Bedene was Slovenian a year ago, otherwise it would just be Murray).

0 American players in the Top 10.
1 American player in the Top 20.
6 American players in the Top 100.

0 German players in the Top 10.
0 German players in the Top 20.
4 German players in the Top 100.

Almost a fifth of the Top 60 are Spanish players, so yeah... I guess Spanish tennis is weak!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Impressive stuff. About 8% of Top 100 players are Spaniards, and Spain is 1/8th the population of the USA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts