Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I don't know why it took until COVID for RG to finally release their best matches.

This is one of THE Classic Nadal vs. Djokovic matches. Prime , quick and Servebot Nadal, plus peak forehand and good backhand.

Also one could see how motivated Djokovic was in this match, he had a game plan and was executing it, it seems that everything in his life prepared him for this moment.

This is a rare treat , because this was maybe the last time we had a real competitive Djokovic vs. Nadal Gladiator Battle....

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
assumed it was The Fog vs Montanes 2011, severely disappointed.
Roland Garros has this one locked away in the Versailles Palace Underground Vault.

The only one who has access to this match is Macron , the briefcase that follows him around is the access code to watch this match...

Rumor is the passcode is MUGNINI , but no one has seen or heard or been able to watch this match since that fabled day.....

Maybe some French MTF'ers could confirm?

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest disappointment is I remember watching this match in crystal clear HD, but 720p quality is not formatted to full screen , so it feels like you are watching one of those crummy free streams.

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
How this was not Big Hass Vs Small Isner is beyond me.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Roland Garros has this one locked away in the Versailles Palace Underground Vault.

The only one who has access to this match is Macron , the briefcase that follows him around is the access code to watch this match...

Rumor is the passcode is MUGNINI , but no one has seen or heard or been able to watch this match since that fabled day.....

Maybe some French MTF'ers could confirm?
I bow to you Sir.
How this was not Big Hass Vs Small Isner is beyond me.
This!

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The moment that honestly changed the GOAT Race as we are sitting here today. Time violation Djokovic, has all the time in the world on a sitter lob, could have even let it bounce, but runs into the net and Nadal Points at him.

In an alternate reality he just stood there and dinked it without moving and then roaring , screaming and beating his chest as Nadal misses the return on his Break point to go up 5-3.... instead Djokovic has 17 slams during COVID 19 tennis hiatus.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I thought it was Santoro vs Clement, 2004, or Guga vs Muster, 1997.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it was Santoro vs Clement, 2004, or Guga vs Muster, 1997.
Roland Garros isn't AO, they aren't going to be releasing those Gems until you pay a yearly subscription

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never seen the Keurten match, but he is like a weird late 90s mix of a lanky Tsitsipas, Wawrinka, Federer hybrid.

I bet he would have thrived in the modern game.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wimbledon 2018 didn't do it for you?
Was good for sure, but this is 5 years prior with peaking Nadal clay and Djokovic clay. I've watched glimpses of this full almost 5 hour match and the rallies are really good... not to detract from Wimbledon 2018, but Nadal with hair and the most focused Djokovic in clay tennis history was brilliant to watch.

Even Djokovic being 3-1 5th set and looking like RG champion for years to come was just gut wrenching, in the most organic way possible...

Reactions: Fedjokodal

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts
This was a very good match from Djokovic, one of his best matches in which he ended up losing. He had good authority and depth on the ball in response to the heavy shots by Nadal, so it was very neck and neck. Definitely one of the closest matches Nadal has played at Roland Garros (loss to Soderling aside). I preferred this version of Djokovic being a bit more proactive with the ball.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,681 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was a very good match from Djokovic, one of his best matches in which he ended up losing. He had good authority and depth on the ball in response to the heavy shots by Nadal, so it was very neck and neck. Definitely one of the closest matches Nadal has played at Roland Garros (loss to Soderling aside). I preferred this version of Djokovic being a bit more proactive with the ball.
I agree, this Djokoivc was f'ing brilliant. It's obvious he had been preparing for this moment for almost a whole year. You could see the legitimate PTSD in his eyes when had the net touch.... and he wasn't the same afterwards. If you look at him at 3-1 you would think you were watching 2011 Djokovic AO..... man was so motivated to make this happen.

Unfortunately for him he had to play 110 percent Nadal. You will find so many shots that clipped the line from Nadal in that 5th set.

Reactions: WhatdidIdo

·
justice for all
16,884 Posts
The Serb’s title wasn’t a given. Ferru would have defeated him in the final.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The Serb’s title wasn’t a given. Ferru would have defeated him in the final.
Ferru would have had a real good chance in that final. The H2H on clay at the point in their careers was 3-1 for Ferru. Just like in 2015, when everyone assumed Djokovic would win in the final. Ferru could easily have pulled the upset.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Looking at the data, Ferrer had a 1-11 H2H record against Djokovic since 2011. Ferrer's lone win came in 2011, and at the end of the season, when Djokovic was an injured player. I only counted 3 sets that Ferrer won excluding Ferrer's win.

Given the lopsided H2H history since 2011, and how Djokovic took Nadal to the limit at RG, Ferrer's chances were basically zero.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts