Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
CYGS is overrated in a way. CYGS ia a prove that:

• player is versatile (not as much now with surface homogenization)
  • player has a dominant season with constant form (or rivals are in trouble)

Ofc 99,9% players won’t get close to achieving it but they are as far to winning double digits GS titles. So I am talking only about big three here.

For me there is no difference to win 4GS in a row to CYGS. It’s just different time frame. It is even maybe harder as you have to keep the form longer.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Yes, they wanted it more; they needed it more - this much is obvious.
Oh, I see.
The GOAT is the one who wants it more and who needs it more.
I thought that the GOAT was the one with most weeks as number one and most GS.

And, please, do not say again that old fart was over 400 weeks at number one.
He wasn't.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If a new "GOAT" comes up every 20 years or so, there is no GOAT.
+1

The whole point is that there is only one at one time.

If there are more than one GOATs = means there is none.

Reactions: alypen and El_Toro

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's funny as hell watching the goal posts shift like crazy these days because people are so determined to deny Novak his rightful status. Where were these goalposts when Fed had most slams? How come we all of a sudden have so many Rod Laver stans? 🤣 I don't think I've ever seen Rod Laver mentioned on this forum as much as I do now when it comes to people arbitrarily deciding that in fact to be the GOAT you must complete the CYGS. How convenient. It's like saying Steffi Graf is the GOAT because she has the CYGS despite winning less slams overall than Serena and Margaret Court. But of course no one says that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1

There is only one GOAT, it's Novak Djokovic. Look at the statistics and you'll see that. There is more than one GOAT on Menstennisforums because people on here are desperate to deny Novak the status so they are creating any and every excuse in the book to do so.

In objective reality, Novak is GOAT. In the MTF subjective, emotional and fan-base driven reality there are apparently multiple GOATs. This is obviously stupid.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Oh, I see.
The GOAT is the one who wants it more and who needs it more.
I thought that the GOAT was the one with most weeks as number one and most GS.

And, please, do not say again that old fart was over 400 weeks at number one.
He wasn't.
No, it has never been about that - you should ignore post Sampras revisionist nonsense and get down with verifiable history. Laver is evergreen and immortal. In a sense he's the youngest player on tour. He never ages.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
No, it has never been about that - you should ignore post Sampras revisionist nonsense and get down with verifiable history. Laver is evergreen and immortal. In a sense he's the youngest player on tour. He never ages.
Laver was the best in his time, no question about it.

It makes no sense to compare Laver to Novak or Rafa.
GOATness is about who is the best player ever that grabbed a racquet and stepped on the court.
Who is The King that everyone fears.
That's the only thing that matters.
And that's why Laver is obsolete.
All his tennis skills Novak and Rafa surpased by the age of fifteen.

Although you can write some good stuff, I see that you keep pushing this nonsense about Laver.
Good luck with that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Laver was the best in his time, no question about it.

It makes no sense to compare Laver to Novak or Rafa.
GOATness is about who is the best player ever that grabbed a racquet and stepped on the court.
Who is The King that everyone fears.
That's the only thing that matters.
And that's why Laver is obsolete.
All his tennis skills Novak and Rafa surpased by the age of fifteen.

Although you can write some good stuff, I see that you keep pushing this nonsense about Laver.
Good luck with that.
Give faker lavers racket and strings and lets see what he can do.

·
Registered
402 Posts
+1

Well, they are ex GOATS now. For example: Asafa Powell, Carl Lewis, Maurice Greene are ex GOATS and Usain Bolt is the current one.
Only the name is debatable, but it's stupid to use term "since big bang till this very moment" instead of all time :)
Anyway, only one guy will be the GOAT, but no one will care at that point, because no one will think about it when apocalypse arrives. :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Give faker lavers racket and strings and lets see what he can do.
If you give that same racket to everyone else, the result would be pretty much the same. Anyway if you think that modern players can't adjust you are delusional. Nadal is born as right handed. Do you actually believe that old equipment would stop him to destroy opponents?!?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Haha, as usual on MTF, these "debates" are between posters who cannot -- or choose not to -- distinguish between fact and opinion. Most of these tards have an opinion of who the GOAT is (ironically it is a fact that they have an opinion), but who the GOAT is is not a fact, because everyone has a different opinion of the criteria for GOAT-hood. Indeed, most tards here choose who they think is the GOAT, and then select whatever criteria supports their opinion... with revisions to the criteria made as necessary to maintain the desired outcome. Just ask Slasher - he did an awesome job on trying to define GOAT-hood but opinion still ruled the project.

So, in my opinion, Laver, Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are amongst the Greatest of All Time, but none of them is the Greatest. It is a fact that that is my opinion.

Ahh, at least some must get joy from the discourse, because there cannot be any other reason for these GOAT threads to flourish the way they do.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The GOAT debate is very boring. It’s too subjective and there is no objective criteria.

For example, there was an article today saying Nadal is nowhere close and Djokovic hasn’t closed it against Federer

See The Only Case Federer Has Left in the Men’s Tennis GOAT Debate

So it goes on and on and actually stats probably don’t prove anything to fans who watch and choose who they like

Haha, as usual on MTF, these "debates" are between posters who cannot -- or choose not to -- distinguish between fact and opinion. Most of these tards have an opinion of who the GOAT is (ironically it is a fact that they have an opinion), but who the GOAT is is not a fact, because everyone has a different opinion of the criteria for GOAT-hood. Indeed, most tards here choose who they think is the GOAT, and then select whatever criteria supports their opinion... with revisions to the criteria made as necessary to maintain the desired outcome. Just ask Slasher - he did an awesome job on trying to define GOAT-hood but opinion still ruled the project.

So, in my opinion, Laver, Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are amongst the Greatest of All Time, but none of them is the Greatest. It is a fact that that is my opinion.

Ahh, at least some must get joy from the discourse, because there cannot be any other reason for these GOAT threads to flourish the way they do.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The GOAT debate is very boring. It’s too subjective and there is no objective criteria.

For example, there was an article today saying Nadal is nowhere close and Djokovic hasn’t closed it against Federer

See The Only Case Federer Has Left in the Men’s Tennis GOAT Debate

So it goes on and on and actually stats probably don’t prove anything to fans who watch and choose who they like
I fully agree that the debate is boring. So "it's my opinion against yours; my opinion is right and yours is wrong, you will never convince me to change my opinion but I will try like hell to change yours... ..."

By the way, my dad can beat up your dad.

Reactions: Critic007

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you give that same racket to everyone else, the result would be pretty much the same. Anyway if you think that modern players can't adjust you are delusional. Nadal is born as right handed. Do you actually believe that old equipment would stop him to destroy opponents?!?
Thats just speculation. Faker doesnt have the best touch/hand for example. He is not rios/roger/coria.

·
Registered
472 Posts
😂😂

I fully agree that the debate is boring. So "it's my opinion against yours; my opinion is right and yours is wrong, you will never convince me to change my opinion but I will try like hell to change yours... ..."

By the way, my dad can beat up your dad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don’t forget the bathroom breaks and his influence on the younger players taking these.

Murray made it a headline but it’s been noticed that Novaxx was teaching these bad behaviours to the next gen that the tour is and is going to have to intervene on these blatant rule cheating.

Pure speculation. He wouldnt have access to modern trainning techniques. He also takes very special vitamins to outlast 25 year guys like its nothing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can somewhat relate when people point out that peak Federer and Peak Djokovic never really clashed (if something abstract like peak even exists or makes sense) but it is purely disonest to say that Rafa wasn't at his best when he clashed against Novak in 2011/12/13/14.
But like what does it prove anyways? Rafa leads GS H2H 4-3 vs Djokovic from 2011-2014. And he did that after going down 0-3...

·
Registered
64 Posts
But like what does it prove anyways? Rafa leads GS H2H 4-3 vs Djokovic from 2011-2014. And he did that after going down 0-3...
Just proves that the narrative of the Lucky Djokovic who avoided peak Rafa (misteriously, since the spaniard is only 11 months older) is hater's fantasy.

H2H was close and not decisive to prove anything (3/7 RG encounters, and just 1/7 at AO, not fair)

Next years (2015/2016) Djoko was at his overall absolute peak due to Becker's training and still fairly young but Rafa wasn't there so I excluded those years that were too Djokovic-scewed.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts