Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was said by Djokovic to Federer after Wimbledon 19.

It was also said to Djokovic at the USO award ceremony and then on Twitter by Laver.

To what extent is this actually a compliment to people with aspirations of being the GOAT? It is already clear that they are both "one of" the greatest so why bother saying it at all? Is saying this just a backhanded way of saying "you've had your chance at clear GOAThood and you blew it?" I can only remember this being said after an enormous fail by the player in question.

Djokovic could have killed the issue but now you will still get Laver, as someone else put it, riding the CYGS train to GOATville, and it will be a constant debate rather than a settled issue. Although he is ahead of Fedal and should cement this in the Slam count.

·
Your visions will happen
53,628 Posts
Laver: "The Quest Continues"

If Nole had won, the GOAT debate would be over. Undisputed. Now we can have debates forever

·
Registered
903 Posts

It was also said to Djokovic at the USO award ceremony and then on Twitter by Laver.

To what extent is this actually a compliment to people with aspirations of being the GOAT? It is already clear that they are both "one of" the greatest so why bother saying it at all? Is saying this just a backhanded way of saying "you've had your chance at clear GOAThood and you blew it?" I can only remember this being said after an enormous fail by the player in question.

Djokovic could have killed the issue but now you will still get Laver, as someone else put it, riding the CYGS train to GOATville, and it will be a constant debate rather than a settled issue. Although he is ahead of Fedal and should cement this in the Slam count.
Djokovic will never be GOAT. His collapse at the Olympics and the USO proved that. Move on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agassi is probably the goat. Only guy winning the 4 gs +olympics+masters and he did it in an era with very different surfaces. With todays homogenization he would have won many more gs also. He was so good he wasted many prime years in parties and he achieved more than these guys who train and live like robots.

·
Registered
Fred
23,776 Posts
Guys, this is a complete non-discussion.
Let me help you, once and for all, by translating certain phrases.

"You're one of the greatest ever" -- I may think you're actually the greatest, or I may think that you're definitely not the greatest, but your accomplishments are good enough for me to be able to use this compliment to sugarcoat my speech without insulting you or your rivals who might be in the same conversation.

"The quest continues" -- To the player: no need to retire or do anything crazy. You'll bounce back from this loss. There are other records to break. To the fans: keep watching tennis. There's more to come.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Guys, this is a complete non-discussion.
Let me help you, once and for all, by translating certain phrases.

"You're one of the greatest ever" -- I may think you're actually the greatest, or I may think that you're definitely not the greatest, but your accomplishments are good enough for me to be able to use this compliment to sugarcoat my speech without insulting you or your rivals who might be in the same conversation.

"The quest continues" -- To the player: no need to retire or do anything crazy. You'll bounce back from this loss. There are other records to break. To the fans: keep watching tennis. There's more to come.
I think it might be time to change your sig to: "chokovic"

·
Registered
Fred
23,776 Posts
I think it might be time to change your sig to: "chokovic"
You will remain disappointed for a while then, because a change is not coming. It's the most important thing that happened in the last 11 years. Without it, we'd have witnessed nothing close to the CYGS or 20-20-20.

I am a huge fan of Nole's rivalry with Federer, but if you prefer, you can go and watch some replays from 2004-2007, if you think that the level of competition was captivating and preserved a high replay value.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
One of GOATs is exactly what they all are. I do not think players are as obsessed with tags.. Of course they are competitors and want to accomplish records and rewards.. But eventually all time greats is what they all are. The current big three are definitely above previous era JMac or Connors or Lendl and even Bjorg. Definitely above Agassi.. and of course Sampras is right below them. This is based on accomplishments.

Winning one major used to be considered so tough and a life time goal and dream. Some people just wanted that and retired too. 20 each is such a ridiculous number. Winning 20 majors is so huge that, of course anyone who does that is definitely one of all time GOATs.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Djokovic definitely enjoyed a rich spoonful of his own medicine with that one!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Djokovic may pass Federer in the GOAT debate on paper and probably already has in some people's eyes but his style of play along with his highest level vs Federer's highest level don't make him the greatest for me. How I see it is that when Federer is at his best, he is NOT playable anywhere or at anytime. Not the same can be said for Djokovic or even Nadal for that matter. They are very very good of course but they can still be taken out by top players who play well on a given day. Federer at his best can't lose. In order for someone to beat Federer, he really just has to beat himself either mentally or physically in the way the match plays out. It's more so along the lines of that, Federer loses the match and not that his opponent necessarily wins it for themselves. The stats even support this argument. Stats like Federer's first serve percentage, his unforced error count, and how he plays on big points. Sorry, but thats just how I see it.

Please let me know what you guys think about my take.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
There is no all-time GOAT, there are pre-open era goats and open-era goats.

Borg, Sampras, Federer, Fedalovic (co-goats), Djokovic.

Nadal or Federer can get their co-goat status back if they win another slam before Djokovic.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts