Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us tennis purists the one handed backhand isn't dead after all. Stan showed how powerful it can be when produced well. Maybe coaches will give juniors an option instead of an automatic 2 hander.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
nope, it's still dying

·
Registered
19,486 Posts
For us tennis purists the one handed backhand isn't dead after all. Stan showed how powerful it can be when produced well. Maybe coaches will give juniors an option instead of an automatic 2 hander.
The next Nadull-miming moonballing, cheating generation of tennis players will expose it atrociously.

So no option for any decent, multi-champ-to-be player. :wavey:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think it could rub off on some juniors because of Stan... sadly I can't see many adopting it, but at least it does show a viability in the modern game. I mean Federer inspired Dimitrov, although his recent results aren't anything to trumpet.

I personally love the one-hander and wish it lasts forever, with Fed, Gasquet and Stan at the helm, it won't be forgotten any time soon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gasquet doesn't win enough. But curiously Tsonga keeps going to one hand on passing shots with some success, but i digress. James Blake also developed a serious one hander. Just ask Agassi who wriggled out a win at the US Open a few years back. Dimitrov gets special mention its not as powerful since Federer was his inspiration.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
It's far from being saved although I have to admit another 1HBH winning a slam(besides Fed) could inspire/encourage more youngsters to use it.(Hopefully!)

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
no, its done, there once was a time when a average top tenner could sexy slice basically every backhand as either a defensive or approach shot, with surface homoginization that is no longer possible, hence its slow death

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Lots of top 20 players Nadal, Fed, Djokovic met enroute in slams has 1 handers....its not dead...its just hard to use at highest level. The player needs a mighty wrist and shoulder muscles.

The slam record person and oldest RG champion has 1 hander.

As youngster developing is safer option for consistent 2 hander, as the aim is to make money in tennis.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If the two handed backhand has no weaknesses, someone should invent a two handed forehand. Lol
Go watch a Futures tournament, there are usually 1 or 2 guys using a 2HFH...and you'll see why it doesn't work

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Once in a blue moon 1HBH fires up as it did yesterday, and it just happened to be a Slam final. Next time it will be in the 1st round of Umag, just to go dormant for another 18 months.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thiem has the potential to have a backhand even better than Wawrinka which is great to see for a youngster.
thiem hasn't hit a threatening cross court backhand in his career from a neutral position

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
thiem hasn't hit a threatening cross court backhand in his career from a neutral position
Yes, he is all down the line so far but hopefully when he matures and with the right coaching he can become the complete package. Forehand needs a lot of work too.

·
#TeamThiem
3,542 Posts
Oh, you saw every match? :rolleyes:

Of course you haven't :lol:

MP against Lopez @Miami (Minute 4:10)

and here one good Cross Courts backhand against Wawrinka (Minute 1:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlu-rOhvxIE

So "hasn't hit a threatening cross court backhand in his career" is simply wrong :p

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Stan's backhand was the best part of the match for me, even though it beat Novak. Henin was one of the smaller ladies in the WTA, yet still had a very effective one handed backhand. Many say that Agassi was one of the greatest ball strikers, forehand and backhand, yet Sampras usually beat him especially in slams with his one handed backhand. Federer also has a great one handed backhand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts