Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type type of backhand do you do?

A lot of my friends do one handed and so do I, I have a more feel to the ball and more slice.

I use to do two hand when I started then I developed into one-handed which in my opinion is better, anyway which one do you do?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Both :eek:
My two-hander is the more reliable, I will occasionally use slice backhands and the very odd time go all out for a winner off the one-hander (something I've never tried off the two-hander), it all depends on how the match is going and how your opponent deals with the shots. There are some matches when I just can't hit one-handers and have to hit all double-handed and vice-versa.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I actually return usually with two hand to get better control if it's a big serve but then I switch to one hand.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Two handed for me. And I don't know anyone of my age personally, both girls and boys, who'd play one handed. Strange, maybe the era of one handed backhand ends here...

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
I've got a double handed backhand and forehandm :WOOHOO: I LOVE BEING THE ONLY PERSON IN MY TOURNIES who plays like this!
:haha:

I suck at playing tennis. :lol: But my two handed backhand is better than my one handed forehand, so I guess I'll try a 2 handed forehand tomorrow. :lol: Thanks ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
:haha:

I suck at playing tennis. :lol: But my two handed backhand is better than my one handed forehand, so I guess I'll try a 2 handed forehand tomorrow. :lol: Thanks ;)
;) theres nothing wrong with it, i love playing like this because it makes me quite unique and i get loads of winners also :devil:

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
I use one handed but I can play 2 handed without problems...

with 2 handed is more easy to catch high and difficult balls. but I really like to do the swing with 1 hand, I feel much better the shot

and btw a double handed slice sounds very strange, from actual players I only see Santoro doing it

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I use a one-handed backhand. Sometimes it's on fire and my timing is right on, but then again sometimes I hit the topspin backhand too soft and a bit late and it becomes a "slice only" shot and thus a significant weakness. My forehand has more firepower, topspin and reliability, but I'm proud of playing with a nice-looking one-hander :).

·
Mom 2 2 Beauties
11,927 Posts
Two-hander...unless on the run or under pressure...then I'll take that second hand off and just let it fly. The "one" hander got a lot better when I broke a finger on my non-racket hand several years ago. Hurt like hell...but a good thing, long-term, for my game.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
one hand... heavy topspin or flat depending on the court either is not a drama if i am in the gym... + heavy slice...

funnily enough, my topspin bh arrived when i was 20 after i came back to tennis from 3 years in rugby... just more strength i guess... i dunno... i remember when it truly 'came on' 1st tho... i was playing a 5 set dubs with some mates from the club... i was on the backhand side, and the other 3 guys were like 10-15 years older than me... i was missiing everything for the 1st two sets, cos i was just trying to roll everything back on my backhand... my partner was getting the sh!ts with me... and i think even my opponents were a little pissed cos i just seemed to be giving them points... we were two sets down and i just wanted to get it... by the 3rd set it just appeared and we lost in 5... and i rarely missed a topspin bh for the rest of the day... was a good feeling...

as a very successful junior but my game was fh oriented w/ slice bh to set up a play.. i did toy with a 2 hander for 3 months... ... ... but left it alone <--- i am proud of that.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
A question for players with the two-handed backhand:

Don't you ever get bored of this shot? No offence intended here, but 99% of the amateurs I've seen hit the shot with the same pace and with the same amount of spin each time - perfect for feeding your rhythm. It's just completely mechanical and not a great deal of flair or variety to the shot as with the single-hander.

If I had to play someone with a superb backhand I'd pick the two-hander over the one-hander every time simply because the two hander can't hurt me as much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts