Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to test your tennis IQ with this hypothetical scenario.

There is a sudden death tennis match forced upon the planet Earth - 1 point - winner takes it all. The coin will decide who is going to serve. We have 0 chance to resist and defend the planet, so that sudden death match is our only hope.

If Earthling lose the point - the whole planet will get destroyed.
If Earthling wins the point - the whole planet will be free and left alone.

Alien algorithm has picked YOU to decide who should represent the Earth in this event, so you have a huge responsibility to make absolutely the best choice - the whole planet is at stake and it awaits for your decision.

Advanced technology can put any older player back to his peak days, so you can pick whoever you want from the ATGs.

So you have the responsibility to pick the player with the highest peak ever who is also the cluchest ever. (so the highest peak physically, technically and mentally all together)

Who do you pick and why?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Dudi Sela

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

There is a sudden death tennis match forced upon the planet Earth - 1 point - winner takes it all. The coin will decide who is going to serve. We have 0 chance to resist and defend the planet, so that sudden death match is our only hope.

Alien algorithm has picked YOU to decide who should represent the Earth in this event, so you have a huge responsibility to make absolutely the best choice - the whole planet is at stake and it awaits for your decision.

Advanced technology can put any older player back to his peak days, so you can pick whoever you want from the ATGs.

So you have the responsibility to pick the player with the highest peak ever who is also the cluchest ever. (so the highest peak physically, technically and mentally all together)

Who do you pick and why?
That is the definition of BOAT, and we all know who he is.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the definition of BOAT, and we all know who he is.
Not necessarily. Winning the whole matches and tournaments is different than ability to play only 1 point with the highest intensity and with minimum chance for an error. One thing is a marathon, the other is sprint.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
What is the surface of this "match"?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

Who do you pick and why?
Scratch what I said, I just noticed the time machine clause. Borg.

And, for what it's worth, I know where you're going with this, but I don't think it's the guy you obviously worship.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends on who the opponent is
We don't know anything about the opponent or the surface.

If our guy is serving, I'd pick Isner. If receiving, Djokovic (of course).
Even with the serve, that's pretty risky to pick a servebot. If he doesn't score an ace from the 1st serve, we are screwed. On the other hand, maybe the opponent is too strong in the field so going for an ace is the best bet. But we don't know that, and we don't know who is going to serve.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
I would pick one of Nadal, Djokovic and Sampras (respectively for clay, HC and grass). Not sure which one to pick if no surface information is given but Nadal and Djokovic look like best candidates.

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
We don't know anything about the opponent or the surface.

Even with the serve, that's pretty risky to pick a servebot. If he doesn't score an ace from the 1st serve, we are screwed. On the other hand, maybe the opponent is too strong in the field so going for an ace is the best bet. But we don't know that, and we don't know who is going to serve.

I'd pick Karlovic. If they use a player without tennis experience but perhaps great strength/height, I think it's more likely it has an unreturnable serve than a great return/defense. So hope to win the toss and go for an ace.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would pick one of Nadal, Djokovic and Sampras (respectively for clay, HC and grass). Not sure which one to pick if no surface information is given but Nadal and Djokovic look like best candidates.
We don't know anything about surface, so you have to go with the best bet.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd pick Karlovic. If they use a player without tennis experience but perhaps great strength/height, I think it's more likely it has an unreturnable serve than a great return/defense. So hope to win the toss and go for an ace.
If we are going for an ace, the question is who is the clutchest servebot - Karlovic, Isner, Roddick, Sampras or somebody else? Karlovic is generally the strongest server ever, but when the world is on the line maybe he would wet the pants.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Since we don't know who will serve, going for servebots isn't a good choice. For this reason, it's best to stick to all-around players who have a decent serve and are not error-prone.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Why to save the world? some people dont deserve it for sure. I dont care to save the whole world but only the people who is worth.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts