Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
Who expected Next Gen to win a slam anytime soon?
Me. I expect them to win a slam this year, and they almost won one last year. They've actually superceded Gen useless in winning two sets.

By the time next gen wins a slam there will be another next gen under them. If not two.
Doubtful. We expected Generation useless to make their breakthrough 5 years ago in 2014. 5 years later the generation after them makes their first GS Final, and almost takes it.

If not this year (because Thiem steps up and the old guard holds on for another year), next year they will win a slam. Mark my words.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It's disappointing, especially for Tsitsipas and Medvedev. They should be owning players like Raonic and Wawrinka in every single parameter of the game. I'm not sure either of them is the real deal. I believed Medvedev will win perhaps even win this AO, I was horribly wrong. One day they might win a slam or two but they'll remain just better than average players, very far from legends such as Rafa, Djok, or Fed, even Murray, Stan, or Delpo.

We're yet to see a future legend emerge. Will probably happen in the next era.
Med is just a stupid pusher almost same replica as Murray. Tsitsipas has a more complete game but couldn't cope physically yet.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
As for Stan, he's right up there. Interesting debate between him, Roddick, and Hewitt. Stan has 18 GS QFs, and 9 GS SFs, 4 GS Finals and 3 wins from those finals. He's superior to Kuerten, but I don't believe he's superior yet to Kafelnikov. Kafelnikov won 600 tour matches, and 26 titles. Stan only has 16 titles.

Haas has 569 tour wins and equivalent titles.

Moya has 20 titles and 575 tour wins. Stan still has just 521 matches. He's going to have to keep playing, and it would be nice for him to pick up some smaller titles. I think he has work to do to get into the ATG territory.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Exactly, and by that time, Federer was the only hot target to aim to. Now you have to, first beat the depth, then beat Federer, then Nadal and Djokovic if you want to get to the top spot of this sport and any of those players are as venomous as 30 scorpions. Thiem or Medvedev would have already won a slam if this was the late 00´s

Besides, the prime is not just age, there´s no player phisically and mentally strong enough to dominate and stay at the very top for many years even if his body is young, Federer was slumping after years of winning slam after slam and Djokovic just took his chance in the right time
Medvedev and above all Thiem have nothing in common with Nadal and Djokovic, legacy wise, at best they can become some Ferrero some Rios some Moya or some Muster.

Lots of players better than them and worse than Djokodal : Borg Connors Mc Enroe Lendl Wilander Becker Edberg Agassi Sampras Courier Roddick........

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Regardless of whether zverev wins or not or what he does now this event overall would still be considered a disappointment for nextgen. They had 1 guy make the quarterfinal. Thiem is not nextgen. He is 26 and will be 27 in September. I actually put him more in the raonic, dimitrov, nishikori and goffin group. Hes just the youngest of the bunch.

For all tje talk and expectation they're still struggling to won when at the slams

I mean , I've never understood how thiem is grouped with nextgen. He is actually closer in age to generation useless than he is to nextgen. He is 4 years older than zverev, the oldest of the nextgen group but only 2 years younger than dimitrov, the youngest of the gen useless group. He is 5 or 6 years older than all the other young guys but only 3 years younger than the likes of goffin, nishikori and raonic

What's more thiem kind of had his breakthrough year in 2014 compared to 2012 and 2011 for raonic and goffin respectively whereas zverev was in 2017. Again , thiem is closer to that gen useless group

For me thiem is either gen useless or some kind if standalone that doesnt fit in either one

·
Your visions will happen
46,696 Posts
Lol well so much for that. We end up with GOAT SF and New SF, nice balance

41 - 46 of 46 Posts