Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a post 2019 USO when all the players were exhausted and NextGen took advantage of it to convince fans Big Change is about to happen.... AO is a battlefield where most flopped severely....

Some say they faced a perfect Stan, or a serve bot Raonic, or an inspired Fucsovics but I am afraid they are not built yet with what you need when you want to reach the top and be able to win when not in a perfect day.... Lack of defensive skills, lack of return skills to prevent your opponent to play secure on his own serve.... which means you have to rely on a perfect day serving.

Last chance is Zverev who need to challenge his mental weakness at Slams or Rublev who is on a massive strike which (I HOPE) is built on frustration after all those years ruined with injuries or lapses.

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a real shame one of the NextGen didn't managed to play Faker.
It would have been nice to see teardrops of the Djokotards

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Kyrgios is about to be 25, age when Legends (and not only Big 4) were multiple Slams winners..... age when Borg retired.....

Not included in Next Gen TBH and anyhow he will be destroyed today.
You know very well times have changed, both in how long it takes to develop as well as when decline sets in.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
i think Med and Stef still have too many holes in their game to reach the top/win a slam

Thiem i know is not nextgen, but he is now about to max out his potential with 26 years old, as @bighax mentioned this is a sign of the times

i am still very positive about the Nextgen, lots of potential and it is fascinating to see them develop

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Don't get to exited.

My prediction for AO 2020 semis:
Djokovic (32) vs. Wawrinka (34)
Nadal (33) vs. Federer (38)

The fossils will keep dominating the Slams.
I posted this three months ago.

Bow down before the prophet, you fools. Its excactly the Semi that will happen (of course due to seeding in another mix).

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Do people consider Kyrgios NextGen? I always thought he was apart of Thiem's generation. I just don't associate him with Zverev, Rublev, Med, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, FAA etc.
This question has come up before (I'll maybe try to dig up related posts/discussion when I'm on a different device) and I suppose a definitive answer depends on how one demarcates different tennis generations.

I think the fairest way is by age, so in this case NextGen players were born between 1995-1999. That makes Kyle Edmund the oldest member, and in fact he was one of the players touted when the ATP first officially started promoting the younger players in 2016.

Nick Kyrgios was also part of the early NextGen marketing push, as seen here.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
Kyrgios is the oldest of next gen. 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998.

Generation useless, still in the draw. Tennys Sandgren, Milos Raonic, Dominic Thiem.

Generation next, still in the draw. Rublev/Zverev, possibly Kyrgios.

Nadal generation. Djokovic, Wawrinka, possibly Nadal.

Fed generation, Federer.

Of the 8 seeds, 3 are generation useless, 1 is Generation Fed. 1,2 is Generation next and 2,3 are generation Djokovic.

Times are definitely moving on, players younger than Nadal/Djokovic are occupying half the slots. Generation useless could have a plurality with 3, depending on what happens with Nadal/Kyrgios.

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well so last Next Gen in 2020 AO is Sascha, probably even if you count extended Next Gen as Kyrgios is about to collapse....

Funny he was probably the least expected in Slams, but probably after his poor ATP Cup and global 2019, he got rid off of all the pressure he had previously and avoid a real bad upset as he often had.
Of course, Sascha need a significant win (like over Stan) in AO 2020 to add the icing on the cake and make his good AO 2020 blatant.

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I posted this three months ago.

Bow down before the prophet, you fools. Its excactly the Semi that will happen (of course due to seeding in another mix).

View attachment 353590
I would like your SF but

Djokovic has not defeated Raonic yet....
Federer can loose anytime he enters the court....
And we are not sure weither Wawrinka can turn into Stanimal two matches in a row.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts